all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Volume vs. density for increasing number of consecutive push-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

agl

First Post
I want to be able to do 100 consecutive hardstyle push-ups (because why not?) and I'm wondering what the optimal load parameters (I have no idea if I'm using this terminology right, please let me know if I don't) would be to get there? This is what I'm currently at:

• About 35 consecutive push-ups.
  • About 60 push-ups in 5 minutes.
  • About 80 push-ups in 10 minutes.
  • 100 push-ups in 20 minutes is easy enough.

Should I go for density and try to get the number up from 60 push-ups in 5 minutes, or should I go for volume and get time down from 20 minutes for 100 push-ups?

Thanks!

Why settle for one when you can alternate the two...

You'll want to train doing one rep every 3sec for as long, increasing over time, as you can from one side of the equation and then do 100 reps, one every 12 sec, and decrease that interval over time.

@Bro Mo, that's a good point. I am mostly wondering if one is better than the other, for reaching the goal. But you're saying that the alternation of the two is probably best?

I think undulating periodization works very well when the undulation stays in the same realm of adaptation, in this case being focused around density.

Why not try a mixture of the fighter pull up program for pull ups and GTG method combined?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom