all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Glycolytic Power vs. Capacity

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I was reading through some of the old AGT threads. Many discussing how bad glycolytic training is and how it's not as valuable to most or for more than just a peaking phase. I felt there was a distinction missing from the majority of the conversations. I thought it was important to make the distinction between training the body to more efficiently produce and use energy from glycolosis (POWER) rather than train the body to tolerate the byproduct of glycolosis (CAPACITY).

As far as I know, training the ability to produce energy, whether it be from alactic , lactic, or aerobic systems, doesn't have a maximum time frame or frequency limit of benefit. I believe the long-term or high-volume negative effects are associated with the capacity side of the energy production spectrum due to the byproducts effects.

If that's the case, training the glycolytic system to produce and use energy is pretty important to many and the way to prevent the damage is simply though longer rest intervals and limiting total session volume. I feel that the 30 second time domain is quite important to train as long as the rest allows removal of byproduct and restoration of alactic energy stores. If the rest isn't long enough, the effects of 30 seconds are accomplished in less time each subsequent interval, and effectively make a 30 sec interval affect the body in the same way a 60sec one would.

Is the down ladder the solution to short rest glycolytic training? With rest being static at say 75-90", do we simply do 30-25-20-15-10-5" of work to keep on the long-term good side of glycolytic training for more than just peaking?

I think Q&D is the answer to this question? It uses glycolysis in a controlled and optimized manner. In particular the 10/2 protocol.
That's one of the protocols that got me thinking about the unfair negativity about glycolytic training and how some forms of glycolytic training are quite valuable.

Q&D uses clusters with long rest between clusters still rather than using all short rest intervals which is a little different. Regardless, the idea is to only go into the glycolysis for the briefest time period that still significantly uses the system.

I've seen depictions of 30sec intervals with long rest and after just the first one the energy was almost exclusively alactic and aerobic so volume of glycolysis doesn't seem very high regardless.

That's one of the protocols that got me thinking about the unfair negativity about glycolytic training and how some forms of
I suspect that Pavel is writing about peaking in one the many projects that he is working on - at least he is hinting on it in the Q&D part about sprint testing.

I like your ideas above, both the distinction between powerand capacity and the application.

This plan by Craig Marker features a similar idea: 25 heavy swing reps followed by 10 minutes of rest.

Edit: This is the same protocol, but better explained

One of the things that are fundamental w/glycolysis is production is limited by capacity. As an ATP recharge mechanism it is capable of supplying far more short and medium duration ATP than the body can burn. You don't really need to train the production side separately as the two aspects are two sides of the same coin.

Instead of training shortest duration only, it makes sense to train various durations at different intensities using different movement patterns. It also makes sense to occasionally deplete the battery using HIIT w/ incomplete recovery or other longer duration work. This creates a powerful response in improving anti-oxidant capacity as well as greatly improving insulin response. Trying to ID the peak throughput beyond which you're wasting your time will be the trick.

From a fatigue standpoint is also important to recognize glycolysis is not only recharging atp but clearing inorganic phosphate. If you're using glycolysis you're also using CRP as it becomes available and that's the primary source of above aerobic threshold fatigue.

The biggest reason to avoid glycolysis is that you're in a loading/duration range that won't improve power output much, has very little to do with "harm" aside from wasting training time and calories if all you do are bootcampy sessions. But it does improve clearance rates, which should improve anaerobic energy availability overall. Lipid aerobic capacity is important for the recharge during rest, carb aerobic capacity during high output working periods is the limiting factor for how much fast twitch ATP is available via glycolysis.

Hello,

Below is an interesting link about HICT:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom