all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Airdyne bike questions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello!
As I sit at home during this quaratine, I am trying to think of new ways to use my at home equipment. I have an old airdyne bike. It's an amazing piece of equipment.

Most people use them for sprints. Intervals or finishers and whatnot, usually for cardio, conditioning, or fat loss.

Has anyone ever used one for strength, using talk-test or strong first principles?

I'm thinking something like this:
Set a timer for 30 minutes.
Blast out a sprint at maximum power for a few seconds, until the power fades, then rest until I can pass a talk test, then do it again. No set intervals or rep goals, just focusing on maximum power output over 30 minutes.

Has anyone ever done this? Will that create strength gains? I know it will help with fat loss and cardio.
Any general thoughts?

Thanks!

I've done similar but not for 30 min. But you are right they are an amazing piece of equipment.

I've used them in conjunction with ROP, S&S, and A+A.

What I've done similar would be a kind of HIIT. 5 min. warm up at a pace that you feel like you could do all day. Then intervals of 30 seconds on 30 seconds off. If you go hard enough for 30 sec. it's tough to do more than say 5 of these IMO. So start off doing maybe 3, when that gets fun do 4, and then 5. End with a 5 min. cool down like the warm up.

Do this twice per week. On other days do your warm up pace for 30 to 60 minutes.

Yes I’ve done this with athletes 5-15s all out sprints rest and repeat. Usually do 12-15 due to time at end of workout. I have also played around using them with Q-D and found 5-7s is ideal for me

Q&D or A+A works well. I have also done fartleks doing a 10s sprint every 5-10 minutes or so.

Q&D or A+A works well. I have also done fartleks doing a 10s sprint every 5-10 minutes or so.

I think A+A is what I'm talking about - set a timer for 20-30 minutes, do a maximum output sprint for 6-12 seconds, then rest as long as I need to, and do it again.

I can see myself doing 10-20 sprints over a 20-30 minute time period.

I wonder what kind of strength and/or other gains this would bring. An all out sprint on an airdyne is pretty incredible.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom