all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Daily dose bent press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ChiBill

Level 6 Valued Member
I want to run the daily dose program for bent presses. In the comments I see it is said that the program works for the bent press, my question is about volume. Is 5 singles enough volume to make progress on the bent press? I'm pretty sure I've read that much higher daily volume is better for the bent press. Has anyone tried this or another daily program for the bent press? Thanks for any responses.

I was doing the Bent&Sinister plan by David Whitley some time ago and I enjoyed it. If you interested in singles maybe GTG would work for you?

What are you bent pressing right now, and what is your goal?

I found that low volume (10 singles a day) was plenty enough to progress the bent press for me, and I ended up bent pressing 52kg. With the caveat that I had already done lots of overhead press.

Hello,

@ChiBill
For a while, I did BP instead of TGU. I progressed quite well using this template.

The daily dose will work, as you already stated. Another option that will work is Soju & Tuba. In this case, you will probably have to use a slightly lighter weight because the volume is a higher.

If I remember well, @Pavel Macek developped a very efficient BP progression. I think we can still read it on his training log.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I want to run the daily dose program for bent presses. In the comments I see it is said that the program works for the bent press, my question is about volume. Is 5 singles enough volume to make progress on the bent press? I'm pretty sure I've read that much higher daily volume is better for the bent press. Has anyone tried this or another daily program for the bent press? Thanks for any responses.

Kurt Saxon, the brother of Arthur Saxon writes about daily volume.

We used to make about 30 attempts at each training session.

(Check the full article Saxon’s Bent Press Tips)​

So no, 5 singles are not enough - bent press requires way more practice, as it is a very technical lift.

Not difficult to learn, but the precise technique determines how heavy will you bent press - if you do it right, even a heavy weight feels quite light. If you do it wrong, even a light weight feels pretty heavy.

Hence - lot of correct practice is needed.

I've been doing the bent press twice a week right now as part of the pttp Russian Bear program so I've been doing sets of 5. I am planning to continue this for a few more weeks and then really wanted to work on bumping up the weight. Thanks a lot for the link to that article, excellent advice there!

I've been doing the bent press twice a week right now as part of the pttp Russian Bear program so I've been doing sets of 5. I am planning to continue this for a few more weeks and then really wanted to work on bumping up the weight. Thanks a lot for the link to that article, excellent advice there!

According my experience and research, I would say that the bent press program recipe is multiple sets of lower reps with medium weight.

Great! Thanks really appreciate your guidance. What would you consider medium weight? 70% of 1rm? And from your article it seems you mean multiple sets of singles, doubles, and triples making up around 30 reps almost daily.

Great! Thanks really appreciate your guidance. What would you consider medium weight? 70% of 1rm? And from your article it seems you mean multiple sets of singles, doubles, and triples making up around 30 reps almost daily.

- yes, the % of 1RM is just right - 70-80%
- I personally prefer sets of 2-3 reps
- total volume anywhere between 15-30 reps per side
- more info (detailed program with double progression) in my upcoming project

Few years ago, I did two consecutive DD bent press cycles like prescribed - only 5 reps a day. It worked for me, I went from 44 kg to 52 kg in the 1st cycle, and from 52 kg to 56 kg in the 2nd cycle, but only for the left hand, the press with the right one remained the same.

My guess is that this program works fine when you occasionally insert a cycle or two in your regular schedule.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom