all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Uneven bells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JamesPTA

Level 7 Valued Member
In the event of COVID-19, there seems to be a major shortage of kettlebells for sale from the common retailers. A little bit surprising.

I think this could last a while so I’ve already incorporated uneven loads in my exercises. My doubles stop at 24kg, so when my squats and carries get easy, I can always add a heavier single weight to one side.

have your guys been experimenting with this as well?

Hello,

Uneven weight challenges a little bit more the balance, so IMO this is a good thing. Nonetheless, we then have to perform on both side to get a balanced work.

Uneven weight is good, but it does not have to make the form poor.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I tried uneven work yesterday and loved it. I have a 24 and a 32.
The complex was clean, 2xfront squat, 2xover head press, 1x front squat, return to ground.
Completed this complex 12ish times. Feeling it today!

In the event of COVID-19, there seems to be a major shortage of kettlebells for sale from the common retailers. A little bit surprising.

Retail Fitness Equipment

Since gyms have been shut down, retail fitness equipment sale have exploded.

I work in Commercial Fitness Equipment Sales. During two week in the middle of March, our retail location sold through 20,00 lbs. (a three month supply) of free weight; Kettlebells, Olympic Bar, Olympic Plates plus Rack, Benches, Home Gyms, and Cardio Equipment.

We got a truck load of free weight in on Monday. On Wednesday, we were almost completely sold out.

Like restaurants, it is Pick Up or Delivery; no customers are allowed in the store.

Fitness Company Manufacturers

Manufacturers are sold out of many items, since this is occurring nationwide. The problem is compounded because most of it come from China.

Manufactures are overloaded and having problems keeping up with the demands.

Retail Fitness Equipment

I work in Commercial Fitness Equipment Sales. During two week in the middle of March, our retail location sold through 20,00 lbs. (a three month supply) of free weight; Kettlebells, Olympic Bar, Olympic Plates plus Rack, Benches, Home Gyms, and Cardio Equipment.

We got a truck load of free weight in on Monday. On Wednesday, we were almost completely sold out.

Like restaurants, it is Pick Up or Delivery; no customers are allowed in the store.

Fitness Company Manufacturers

Manufacturers are sold out of many items, since this is occurring nationwide. The problem is compounded because most of it come from China.

Manufactures are overloaded and having problems keeping up with the demands.
Your customers are lucky having someone as knowledgeable as you to help them shop! Very lucky!

Retail Fitness Equipment

In the mean time the price of cast iron went up to the gold price level ?

The cost of production and material hasn’t, but there is some mass exploitation going on through 3rd party sellers on Amazon, from manufacturers I haven’t heard of.

The fact remains that that manufacturers have not nor will they will gouge the public by over inflating prices.

That in part because most reputable fitness manufactures have some ethics. Also, doing so is bad public relations.

Secondly, any company that does that will most like be find by the government.

Third party sellers fall into the wild west, anything goes.

However, Amazon is shutting those third parties down.

Individuals willing to pay off the wall prices for anything fall into...

"A fool and his/her money are soon parted" or "Stupid is as stupid does"

Saw this article about the kettlebell shortage and thought I’d share: The Truth Behind the Great Kettlebell Shortage of 2020

Interesting Article

The article states, "The kettlebell is the most obvious flashpoint of our great weight shortage."

However, it is not the only flash point. Free Weight (Olympic Plates, Olympic Bars, Dumbbells) along Benches and Racks needed to train with also fall into that category.

As I posted above, the Retail/Commercial Fitness Company that I work for received a truck load of Free Weights on a mid day Monday. We had to open the crates to find out where certain items were. That took us until Tuesday.

We were opened for "Take Out/Pick Up" on Wednesday morning at 9:30 am. By 11:30 am we were sold out of most of the Free Weight shipment. That is a common story, nation wide.

American Manufacturers

While there may be an influx of business for American Fitness Manufacturers, that business will evaporate once things get back on track.

That because the cost of fitness equipment manufactured in American is more expensive than other countries.

China Factory Workers Pay

"Salary range is from US $ 250 to about US $450 per month for a factory worker in a large city, and less than $200 inland." What is the average salary of a factory worker in China in 2019? - Quora

That works out to be about $1.16 to $2.60 per hour, based on a 40 hour work week.

As the article stated, "“A lot of large American buyers say they care about everything, but at the end of the day, all they want to know is piece price.”

Manufacturers Moving From China

Fitness manufacturers and other manufactures are gradually relocation from China to other countries. That because the labor cost are cheaper.

Some of the America's manufacturers have moved to or are going to be moving to countries like: India, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc.

Vietnam Factory Workers Pay

"Vietnam’s monthly minimum wages in 2019 vary by region from $125 to $180, with the highest rates in urban areas like Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. These wages are sometimes half of China’s which vary by province from about $140 to $346." Manufacturing In Vietnam: 5 Key Factors For Moving From China

Based on a 40 hour work week, that would mean the Vietnam hourly wage is around 72 cents to $1.05 per hour.

Secondly, the tariff's place on China are driving their price up. even more. There are no tariffs on Vietnam.

What's Cheaper Than India, Pakistan, Vietnam, etc?

The labor cost of Africa are even lower.

However, due to the chaos and volatility of the African countries, it is questionable if any manufacturers would every relocate any of their factories there.

Last edited:

I think this could last a while so I’ve already incorporated uneven loads in my exercises. My doubles stop at 24kg, so when my squats and carries get easy, I can always add a heavier single weight to one side.

have your guys been experimenting with this as well?

Going back to the main topic, have you read this?

I have experience with both uneven loads and diy doubles. the diy why option involves vet wrap, kayak tie downs, and 2 2kg plates.(Disclaimer: seems stable but if you try it I'm not responsible for any injury and you should know that I occasionally do less then intelligent things.) any who uneven double are great but your double clean has to be pretty good, or else you end up doing a odd rotations and hitting your self with bells. that being said double front squats with uneven load are pretty great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom