all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Minimalistic clubbell routine

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

In the spirit of S&S, what's a good clubbell routine with only a few moving parts but hits the whole body like S&S? Double club swing with shield cast and press outs? I need to keep the whole routine to twenty to thirty minutes.

If your clubbell is heavy enough, could you do a TGU with the torch press grip? That plus double swings sounds close.

Swipes are the clubbell equivalent of kb snatches so that's probably a good one to include.

The Trial by Fire seems to be a standard. Google will provide the details better than I could but it consists of swipes, mills, and hammer swings.

I am a huge fan of clubbells, but they are not particularly suited to load the lower body. So they are great complementary tool, but not necessarily as a sole modality.

Double CB swipes for the hinge pattern and barbarian squats for the squat pattern are about as good as you can do. There's also the "rockit" squat which, IMO, is more fatiguing than actually strength-building.

But as mainly upper body, but requiring full body stabilization, my favorite bang-for-the-buck CB drills are:
--Mills
--Reverse Mills (very underappreciated IMO; you can generate some serious speed/force with these and they work the shoulder girdle in planes that most other training doesn't)
--Shield casts
--Double CB swipes

I also like to mix in some heavier (35 and 45lb) two-handed mills, reverse mills, and pendulums, as well as some random one-arm leverage holds with lighter (15lbs) clubs.

A typical quick easy day/recovery session for me might be:
--25lb continuous mills, switching hands every 10 reps for 100 total continuous reps.
--20lb reverse mills in sets of 10R/10L with a minute or two of rest in between as needed x 5 sets (100 total reps)
--25lb shield casts in sets of 10 on the :50 alternating hands each set x 10 sets

If I want to do something more lower-body focused, I'll just do a couple of sets of 5 double KB front squats.

When I mix in double CB swipes, it's usually 2x25lb in sets of 5 on the minute for 20 sets at the end of my session. But if you're trying to keep sessions short, this might be a good standalone session to mix in on it's own days.

I find sessions like this are very easy to recover from once you are acclimated to club swinging. If you are first starting, you will probably have a lot of intense DOMS in your armpit area and in your triceps (and in the mid-back and around the scapulae if you are not used to reverse mills and swipes specifically).

Last edited:
I was going to get a mace, but decided the moves were similar to clubbells and what was lacking sledgehammer swings into a tire pretty much covered (and feel good and manly)

could you do a TGU with the torch press grip?

Oh, I haven't tried that yet. Interesting idea.

Maybe I'll give it a try during tonight's training session.

I have one of the Adex adjustable clubs that goes up to 25 lbs, but it's very muzzle-loaded, so I better start light-ish...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom