all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hamstrings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
What do you recommend for BW hamstring exercises?

Should probably note, I ask because I looked at the SFB cert page and didn’t see any. Pushes and pulls for upper body, leg raises and leavers, but nothing that I can see would work the hamstrings.

This has always been a tough one

Single Leg DL is a good motion for stability and mobility and flexibility and if you can grab something of some weight, it makes a greatcore and stabilizer exercise in addition to hamstring work.

Bridges are another option, though you need to focus on dragging the floor toward your rear with your heels to get more hamstring involvement. Also straight leg bridges, where you elevate your feet onto something like a bed or chair work the hammers quite well too.

Glute ham raises were you have someone anchor your feet down are murder, and you can use something sturdy if viable. These are tough but you can do eccentric only and use your hands to assist to the floor and back up.

If you have paper plates or something that slides like furniture movers, you can do hamstring curls as well in a supine position, just dragging the plates a lon the ground. Bands, if an option, will allow curls and pull throughs as well.

Don’t forget the best options. Sprint!!! Sprinting and jumping, specifically broad jumping, are great for the PC and utilize the fast twitch muscle fibers which the hammies are a great deal made up of. Good luck!

One leg hamstring bridges where you put your foot on a chair or bench. Stability ball hamstring curls. Or, if you're stronger than me, the afore-mentioned sliding hamstring curls. The trick with that is you need to maintain proper hip extension through the whole movement. Don't cheat.

Gluteus ham raises and Nordic curls would be ideal but I don’t have anywhere to anchor my feet sadly.

I’ve been experimenting with the bridges a lot and like the SL gluteus bridges. I find I feel it a whole lot more in my hamstrings and almost nothing in my gluteus. Is this a problem?

I do love shuttle runs for high intensity! Not really sprinting but the constant acceleration and deceleration makes my legs burn a little after a 5 min rep max using around 20 meters as the reps.

Gluteus ham raises and Nordic curls would be ideal but I don’t have anywhere to anchor my feet sadly.

Neither did I. If you really care, you'll have to improvise. The absolute easiest set-up (and the one I use) just requires a cheap slab of wood, and something to fasten your feet to it (like a gymnastic ring, or some kind of strap, or a weight belt).

Here's a video showing the above set-up:

It probably will take you like 4 hours to gather the supplies and maybe like 50 bucks. From then on, you can do Nordic Curls for a lifetime. Worth it IMO.

Glute bridges and shuttle runs are great exercises, but if you can do more than 10 rep on the former or a minute on the latter, it's not really building hamstring strength any more.

Good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom