all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ultra-marathons and Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Daz8

Level 3 Valued Member
There's nothing I love more after a week at work than flogging myself in the mountains, love everything about ultra-running, racing etc. I'm s*** but it's great, anyway I digress.

I'm wanting to develop all round strength and basically make myself more resilient. I've got access to bells up to 32kg (I'm probably at 20kg S&S strength though) and oly weights and bars up to 200kg.

Would something like a day on, day offf S&S routine alongside a once a week basic barbell routine, such as 5x5 be enough? I'd probably want to throw some unilateral work in there, so step ups, lunges, calf raises etc also.

How would I balance running everyday alongside strength ? Bear in mind 80% of my running is very easy.

If you want to get good (really good) at ultra-running then that is going to have to be your focus.
Refer to Training for the Uphill Athlete (House | Johnston | Jornet)

So... if it were me (and it has been)

yes to any form of unilateral work.
yes to S&S as it compliments running very well ( I would aim for 3 days / week)
No to anything else

agree with everything @offwidth says. Basic, minimalist GPP and do your hours upon hours of zone 1/2. 5x5 might be pretty demanding for you. I would save that for an offseason block where you can dedicate 6-12 weeks to strength.

I would highly recommend some sort of movement screen, to help ensure you have efficient energy transfer and good loading patterns of the ankles and hips. Other than that you're on the right path.

I like all of the above, but for me, would also do on an alternate day schedule or maybe even more than 48 hrs btwn strength workouts:
S&S
5x5
GU only
Swing only (1h or 2 ) or you could do Athletic drills, snatch to lunge, swing with side steps,cln to lunge, etc
Q&D

You can view a few of the Athletic Drills in the article Let's Get Lateral by Brett Jones, April 3rd 2018

Last edited:
Brilliant, cheers folks.

Running is the main goal with a tickle in the back of my mind to complete my SFG1 at some point in time.

About to read that article now, thanks again.

I come from a running background, now cycling focused, so I know how hard it can be balancing the hours of endurance with strength training.

I do 10-12 hours cycling per week. I've found S&S 3x per week perfect. I'm currently at simple and not pushing it further. I've actually switched to maintenance mode, so I'm only doing about 50 swings and 3 get ups each session, and that has maintained my strength perfectly. I often swing the 40 two handed as well.

I also do original strength resets for ten minutes every day. It's been a perfect one stop shop for mobility, flexibility injury prevention, learning to breathe better (crucial for endurance sports) and feeling strong, recovered connected all around. Can't speak more highly of that!

If you believe in high volume low intensity then the sweet spot looks like 80% low and 20% medium high intensity.

So maybe if your primary goal is running then you should run more at low intensity.

I prefer the DMPM , aka the Humane Burpee. And yoga.

Alternate a set of 10-15 swings with a set of push ups, goblet squats, and rows. Five sets done in a circuit. One popular rep scheme is 5-4-3-2-1. Finish with some suitcase carries. Do as often as you need or like.

I should also add that I really like Easy Strength coupled with Easy Endurance, aka MAF. I made some great base building progress one fall doing ES 4x a week, and MAF 6x a week, 3 days running and 3 days bike. It was total “park bench” training and it was brilliant.

My primary interest is long endurance, and GPP. Most years I do a couple shorter trail races, one ultra, hike a bunch and hunt all winter with a base of S&S and running 4 times a week.
This year, with all spring races canceled, I have decided to actually work on my running. I have way upped the LSD, and am pretty well following the recommendations from "The Uphill Athlete ". One general strength day, one specific strength day and lotsa slow running. I have seen improvements already, and I will be 54 in a week or so.
I have my eye on a 100k in late September. If everything is the same, my fitness will be there.

Hello,

In a recent podcast - if I remember correctly, this is the last one - Dan John talks about something like 3 x 3 for three lifts (pull ups, ovh press, deadlift). In the context, it was for boxing and strength. The thing to remember is that weight gains have to be limited, which can also be the case for ultra running. To a certain extent, OCR might be different

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom