all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Newbie, owning the weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jonas Vind Behrendt

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello everyone

I've just started on the S&S journey and is 14 days into the program (lifestyle).

So far I've been doing 7 days a week with 6 days of 24 kg swing and TGU and 1 day with 16 kg.

My question is: when do I own the 24 kg weight?

In the book its described as if you can do it anytime.
Does this mean 100 swings in 5 min every day comfortably?

My approach is cutting off 5 sec of rest each week.

Week 1: 10 reps per 60 sec.
Week 2: 10 reps per 55 sec.
Week 3: 10 reps per 50 sec.
Etc.

This is only if i finish strong every week.

Thanks for the help ?

Hello everyone

I've just started on the S&S journey and is 14 days into the program (lifestyle).

So far I've been doing 7 days a week with 6 days of 24 kg swing and TGU and 1 day with 16 kg.

Etc.

Thanks for the help ?
I’m a newbie also. A month in. Swinging the 24 also. You will get better advice on here than I give but I would say not to worry about timing sets so much as making sure you’re recovered fully. That’s sort of a tenement if the program and what will allow you to progress while doing daily training. Just my two cents.

I’m a newbie also. A month in. Swinging the 24 also. You will get better advice on here than I give but I would say not to worry about timing sets so much as making sure you’re recovered fully. That’s sort of a tenement if the program and what will allow you to progress while doing daily training. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the answer. I was just thinking that you might progress faster if you shorten rest, every time the 100 reps get easy. Havent been sore yet, if i do I think i will increase rest again til recovered.

Only you can answer that question. Owning a weight is not about doing X amount of work in Y time or something like that. It's about feeling completely confident and comfortable with that weight. At which point that feeling "happens" is totally individual.

Only you can answer that question. Owning a weight is not about doing X amount of work in Y time or something like that. It's about feeling completely confident and comfortable with that weight. At which point that feeling "happens" is totally individual.
But if i feel confident and comfortable with lets say 24 kg in 8 min and do that every day. Shouldnt i decrease rest time to make it slightly harder? ?

Both gents above are right. Recovery is your number one measuring stick. Measured over few weeks of ‘owning’ the weight. Then, you need to be fair with yourself is your form with this weight is spot on and you still have much left in the tank after the session. Filming yourself helps to asses this fairly.

This had been discussed here multiple times, so I suggest digging into the forum, it’s worth it.

One other strategy is going beyond the standard set numbers. Not every time, but testing yourself a bit. 15-20 swings, or switching without a break between left/right. Multiple get-ups.

Last, don’t aim to do timed sessions every time. It’s not a goal of S&S 2.0.

Both gents above are right. Recovery is your number one measuring stick. Measured over few weeks of ‘owning’ the weight. Then, you need to be fair with yourself is your form with this weight is spot on and you still have much left in the tank after the session. Filming yourself helps to asses this fairly.

This had been discussed here multiple times, so I suggest digging into the forum, it’s worth it.

One other strategy is going beyond the standard set numbers. Not every time, but testing yourself a bit. 15-20 swings, or switching without a break between left/right. Multiple get-ups.

Last, don’t aim to do timed sessions every time. It’s not a goal of S&S 2.0.
Thank you for the reponse ? i will film my form tomorrow so i can get you guys to rip it apart ?

Hello,

Below are some threads about owning a weight:

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Jonas Vind Behrendt

S & S 2.0 suggests replacing 1H Swings with 2H Swings (still 100 reps) every third training day. With 2H Swings you can really focus on maximal explosiveness. This is how you can move up to owning your current weight safely.

Your focus on reducing the rest period by 5 seconds will increase the density of your training period. That is one method of getting stronger, but not the focus at this point of your progression with the 24kg. Your focus right now is to get the necessary volume in week after week.

Have you timed a session to see where you are with 24kg? A test is just that, do all the reps with proper form and power as fast as possible.

There is always the possibility that you are asking how to know if you own your 24kg because you already do. If you're able to meet the time constraints, it's time to start replacing sets with a heavier weight.

The idea is to train often, test infrequently, and add weight if able. Don't sacrifice form and power for an ego but don't linger if you don't have to either.

There are only so many different size bells on the way to sinister and if you spent an entire year with each of them, you'll still get all the way there within a few years and you'll be the envy of all your friends and family.

The way I think of this is: you own the weight when it becomes boring and uninteresting.

I find that sensation to be a sensation of, too easy. Like playing a game with cheat codes and infinite lives, or playing twinkle twinkle little star. Allot of these things render as uninteresting because the difficulty is part of the interest.

Basically, I agree with what Adachi said. Also, I want to mention that during the SnS road, you should check your form sometime, probably with Strongfirst trainer (if you have an opportunity), or posting on the forum and getting advice from more experienced members. That will help you milk more benefits from a certain weight.

Hello everyone

Etc.

Thanks for the help ?
Have you read the revised edition, S&S 2.0? I think it will help you with your journey.

Do talk test based training and let time work for you. Add two heavier sets every 4 weeks. Train, don't test.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the advice! What a great community. I made a video of my form today and ill take any advice i can get.

Also, im gonna try doing less timed workouts and just feel where im at. ? Hard to not look at a timer though, big sucker for EMOMs ?

But here we go:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom