all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Arm bend when standing TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alessandro Pavoni

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi there,
I have a question
I have been doing S&S for several months
I can swing well 32 kg
My problem is with the TGU I can lift the 24kg but not 32kg; I have issues with my upper back, is fuse togheter due to a cancer on the bone I had when I was younger, so I really bend my arm over my head when I stand up with the lounge, doing so I can’t handle the waight properly and I give up every time , it seems impossible for me to do the lounge
Would it be ok if I lift the 32kg only untill kneeling?
Is there any way to improve my posture straightening my arm ? (I have been doing arm bars but not improving yet)
should I work more on the lounge to get more legs power?
Please let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Alessandro

Hi there,
I have a question
I can swing well 32 kg
My problem is with the TGU I can lift the 24kg but not 32kg; I have issues with my upper back, is fuse togheter due to a cancer on the bone I had when I was younger, so I really bend my arm over my head when I stand up with the lounge, doing so I can’t handle the waight properly and I give up every time , it seems impossible for me to do the lounge
Is there any way to improve my posture straightening my arm ? (I have been doing arm bars but not improving yet)
Thanks
Alessandro

Why don't you get a sandbag and do your getups with that? You can go heavy safely and get most of the benefit. I do them often to mix things up and give my elbows and wrist a break. Throw in some 24kg getups occasionally to still get the shoulder benefits.

You can always go slower too and change it up a little bit. Or do more in a row for a different type of workout. I have yet to do it but I have a 20lb kettlebell I’ve wanted to try a bottoms up TGU with just to see how far I can even get (not suggesting that with the 24kg).
Also, congrats on the 32kg getup. I want to order a 32 when they’re available but don‘t really think I’ll be using it anytime soon.

Hi there,
I have a question
I can swing well 32 kg
Thanks
Alessandro

If your posture will not allow you to hold a bell overhead while standing and with locked arms, then you probably shouldn't do heavy getups, or at least limit them to up to kneeling position. I would suggest you do the latter, then at kneeling position rack the bell before standing and until you're back to kneeling. At this point, press the bell with the help of the other hand and finish the getup.

As for posture correction, there are chiropractic approaches that can help unlock frozen shoulders and thoracic spine; stretching pecs, lats and upper traps, foam rolling thoracic spine, strengthening rhomboids, massages, and dead hangs are examples. Of course, your medical history/status might rule out some of these options. Some of those cancer medications, for example, deplete bone density and extra care is warranted.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I have a question
I can swing well 32 kg
Thanks
Alessandro

You can also try the racked get-up, or sandbag. Will give you most benefits without the risk.

Heavy getups are not a must, Dan Jon does not prescribe them at all.

Keep doing them with a weight that is fully safe, you will still get the most benefits.

Hello,

@Alessandro Pavoni
Welcome !

I will start with a couple of questions:
- What is your goal ?
- Is your doctor ok with some kind of strength training ?

Basically, in "real life", you are not really likely to perform a get up with a weight on a straight arm. A weight on a shoulder sounds more "realistic".

Heavy get ups are a goal per se. Then it depends on what you are looking for. Also, as already pointed out, Dan John does not really advocates for heavy get ups, as far as strength goal goes. He considers it more as a mobility drill. Moderately heavy GU (24 / 28) may be a nice blend of strength and mobility if you do not have a specific purpose

So you have several alternatives:
- Very slow motion (for get up and get down) + pause at each steps (using no more than 24). Shoot for 1'30''
- Sandbag
- Regular speed (using 24) but do a press at each step as you get up (regular get down) (this comes from Dan John)

The last option will teach you how to really lock the shoulder and elbow joint, which is one of your issue. But if you want to get more strength from it, it would be good to add additional exercises such as a heavier squat / lunge pattern.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If your posture will not allow you to hold a bell overhead while standing and with locked arms, then you probably shouldn't do heavy getups, or at least limit them to up to kneeling position. I would suggest you do the latter, then at kneeling position rack the bell before standing and until you're back to kneeling. At this point, press the bell with the help of the other hand and finish the getup.

As for posture correction, there are chiropractic approaches that can help unlock frozen shoulders and thoracic spine; stretching pecs, lats and upper traps, foam rolling thoracic spine, strengthening rhomboids, massages, and dead hangs are examples. Of course, your medical history/status might rule out some of these options. Some of those cancer medications, for example, deplete bone density and extra care is warranted.
Thanks

With your medical history and fusion you will likely not change your mobility in the thoracic spine and any work on doing so should be done with a healthcare provider that understands your situation.
For Get-ups—Only go as far in the Get-up as you can while maintaining proper form.
This might be to half kneeling or less especially with an increase in weight.
Train safely and don't push into "bad form"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom