all posts post new thread

Kettlebell BFR Kettlebell Work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I just got my first set of BFR cuffs (arm and leg sets) to mess around with.

Has anyone used them with kettlebells in any capacity?

My first inclination is that it would be insane to use them with KB ballistics -- don't want to have to have things get numb or tingly with velocity involved.

And slow, whole body moves like a windmill seem a mismatch.

I might try presses at about 20-30% of my 1 RM.

Blood flow restriction? I've never heard of anyone using that with kettlebell training.

Hello,

@watchnerd
Sounds like it can be used with any type of tools and moves:
Charts at the beginning are great guidelines.

Otherwise, here are 2 interesting podcasts on the topic

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@watchnerd
Sounds like it can be used with any type of tools and moves:
Charts at the beginning are great guidelines.

Otherwise, here are 2 interesting podcasts on the topic

Kind regards,

Pet'
Should work as well as with any type resistance. Propably goblet squat is pretty good choice for that. You can destroy your quads with light weight.

Well, not quite anything....

So far, it's definitely better with single joint isolation movements, at least on the arms.

I tried some playing around with the arm bands last night.

Here are some early results:

1. KB bicep curls -- works exactly as expected. The burn is intense.

2. KB presses -- too much of a multi-joint exercise, with the load shared across too many muscles. Plus the more complicated movement tends to wiggle the band loose.

3. KB cleans -- bzzzzt -- too much motion, loosening the bands.

4. KB behind the head triceps extensions -- ding ding, another winner.

Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day, but my biceps were so fried it took effort to drink a glass of water during dinner.

Hello,

@watchnerd
Did you try with squats as far as legs are concerned ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not yet.

I'm going to wait till squat day this week (Thu).

I only tried the arm bands because I figured it would have low training impact if I overly torched my bis/tris.

Update:

It's been about 12 hours since my arm session experiment.

Lifting my coffee cup this morning with my non-dominant left arm actually requires a little effort.

My DOMS usually kick in 2 days after a work out, so I don't know what's likely to happen tomorrow if it's already like this.

My upper chest is also already mildly sore, which is unexpected. Although I did feel a broader shoulder girdle flush when I took the bands off my upper arms; they were cinched just below my delts, close to my arm pits.

Update:

It's been about 12 hours since my arm session experiment.

Lifting my coffee cup this morning with my non-dominant left arm actually requires a little effort.

My DOMS usually kick in 2 days after a work out, so I don't know what's likely to happen tomorrow if it's already like this.

My upper chest is also already mildly sore, which is unexpected. Although I did feel a broader shoulder girdle flush when I took the bands off my upper arms; they were cinched just below my delts, close to my arm pits.
Try to do lunges/bulgarian split squats... I think they may work better than goblet squats. I just got this idea now. :D

Hello,

@watchnerd
  1. Did you try with squats as far as legs are concerned ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Try to do lunges/bulgarian split squats... I think they may work better than goblet squats. I just got this idea now. :D

Round 2:

Arm Bands:

Started with regressed upper bodyweight exercises, since they say you're supposed to do 20-30% of 1 RM.

Super Set Routine:

Incline Push Up / Inverted Row : 30 reps -> 15 reps -> 15 reps -> 15 reps

30 seconds rest between sets.

Notes:

• Cinched the bands tighter than in first experiment. Still probably not quite tight enough since no redness appeared until I started exercising.
  • Systemic fatigue: light, but more than I would have had with no bands
  • Local fatigue: modest at first, I thought...until later (see end notes)
Leg Bands

Started with super light suitcase carry, then proceeded to bodyweight leg work.

20kg Suitcase Carry:

Notes:
  • Down the driveway and back (one side each way)
  • Barely felt anything, thought bands weren't doing anything

Bodyweight Squats:

Since the suitcase carry didn't appear to do anything, I thought I'd do some vanilla bodyweight squats to warm up, before proceeding on to split squats, lunges, or goblet squats.

Bodyweight squats: 30 reps -> 15 reps -> 15 reps -> AMRAP

30 seconds rest between sets.

Notes:

• Holy crap, this got real at the end
  • AMAP became 19 reps --- I started getting valgus knee caving which *never* happens to me on any kind of normal training weight with a barbell squat. I have to be doing a hard triple at >90% RM for it to even remotely happen once in a blue moon if I don't concentrate.
  • Systemic fatigue: intense -- head / face turning red, body heating up, sweating, slightly light headed, breathing like I had done a fast and heavy 10x10 timed Simple swings, or heavy BB squats.
  • Abandoned the idea of doing split squats and goblet squats this time, since I was feeling a little light headed
  • Local fatigue: "the shakes" in my thighs, glutes were swole

End Notes:

• Attempted to move on to my planned KB C&P workout, to at least salvage something from this experiment. Normally, on a light day, this would be 3x8@24, but I figured I would drop the weight down to 16 kg because I was so pre-fatigued. FAIL -- my clean was pathetic because my hamstrings were dead. My press was slow and noodle armed. I bailed after 3 ugly reps of I weight I could normally do for 20+ reps.
  • Okay, after that fail, how about some EZ bar curls? Maybe if I drop the weight waaaay down to 20 kg and just rep it out? After 5 reps my biceps were like "eff you, we're smoked".
  • Moving on to cool down, I could barely do bird dogs. Just lifting my leg behind me had my glutes crying and lifting my arm in front of me had my shoulders moaning.
  • All in all, the short experimental workout only lasted about 30-40 min, but my body afterwards like I had worked out hard for 90 min
  • Post workout goat milk kefir -- holding the glass was a little twitchy in the arms
  • Arms and shoulder are tender, slightly sore, 3 hours later. I usually get DOMS 48 hours later, so that's weird for me.
  • Arms and shoulders are *pumped*. I can't see my glutes and thighs well enough to see if they're swole, but my briefs are tighter.
  • Elevated body temperature afterwards (still having it), like an EPOC type reaction.
  • 90 minutes after finishing dinner (850 cal), got hungry again. Ate 3 tablespoons of peanut butter (285 cal) before bed.
In a nutshell, metabolically, I felt a little like I had a HIIT session (but without the glycolitic angle)....but I didn't.

Next time, I think I'll put the arm and leg bands on at the same time and try a KB complex (maybe clean / press / front squat?) to see what happens. Or maybe swings.

The leg bands were clearly the real metabolic killer.

Last edited:
Hello,

@watchnerd
Your experiment is very interesting ! I am eager to see the results of your other session !

Do you try BFR to reach a specific goal ? (strength, hypertrophy, conditioning)

This time, you mentioned you tried C&P but it appeared you were smoked. However, earlier in the thread, you mentioned that Clean and Presses (on two separate moves) had too many moving parts.

Do you think the overall "efficacy" of the protocol may be variable (depending on how you tight the bands up, were you exactely place them, etc...) ?

• Elevated body temperature afterwards (still having it), like an EPOC type reaction.
  • 90 minutes after finishing dinner (850 cal), got hungry again. Ate 3 tablespoons of peanut butter (285 cal) before bed.
I would need to dive deeper in the topic, but it seems nutrition can be a powerful add-on to the BFR. Indeed, a slightly higher sodium intake increase blood plasma volume. I think it would help to "chase the pump" and increase the performance to a certain extent.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Do you try BFR to reach a specific goal ? (strength, hypertrophy, conditioning)

This time, you mentioned you tried C&P but it appeared you were smoked. However, earlier in the thread, you mentioned that Clean and Presses (on two separate moves) had too many moving parts.

Do you think the overall "efficacy" of the protocol may be variable (depending on how you tight the bands up, were you exactely place them, etc...) ?

Thanks.

• No specific goal yet other than to see if BFR can make the 'Light' days in my Heavy/Light/Medium program more effective. But, generally, my Light days are not very strength focused (the non-BFR weights are only 65% 1RM), so some mix of hypertrophy and conditioning. Right now I'm just experimenting with how it works -- then I'll figure out how to program it.
  • The difference with C&P experiences: 1st time was C&P with bands on, 2nd time was C&P after I took the bands off and had already trashed my upper body
  • The efficacy definitely varies by band tightness. For placement, you're only supposed to put them in the designated places

Last edited:
This is super interesting. I've been interested in BFR for awhile now (my main sport is climbing, where this has been on the radar for awhile now), but haven't taken the plunge on a set of cuffs yet. Which cuffs are you using?

If you're interested in some of the research on it, here are some of the articles I've collected on it (some of which are climbing/finger strength focused, but they also talk about the physiology and programming concepts):

Is that thing safe?

There are decades of research on the safety and efficacy of BFR, including in older populations.

It's been around since the 1980s.

Don't put the bands on your neck or torso.

And light days are supposed to be light for a reason.

This is *extremely* light for me in terms of load.

My BFR loads were much lighter than what I would normally do on a light day.

Normally, for me, my light days are 65% 1RM for 12-15 reps. My BFR sessions experiments so far are in the 20-30% 1RM, if not lower.

My heavy days (weekly) are at 85% 1RM for sets of 3-5, and have me squatting, pulling, and cleaning in the 100 kg range, and my medium days (also weekly) are at 75% 1RM, in the 5-8 rep range.

My strength training follows a Heavy / Light / Medium protocol.

Active recovery days (walking, Pilates) are 2-3 days a week. Full rest (yoga) 1-2 day a week.

So this is silly light from a loading POV, but not metabolically.

Last edited:
This is super interesting. I've been interested in BFR for awhile now (my main sport is climbing, where this has been on the radar for awhile now), but haven't taken the plunge on a set of cuffs yet. Which cuffs are you using?

I'm using some cheapie $35 cuffs I got on Amazon, which leave a lot to be desired, but they were good enough to start playing around with. The ones I have don't have any pneumatic capabilities.

If I decide this is something I want to do longer term, I'd probably upgrade to pneumatic cuffs, although those are a *lot* more expensive. There are even wireless ones now.

If you're interested in some of the research on it, here are some of the articles I've collected on it (some of which are climbing/finger strength focused, but they also talk about the physiology and programming concepts):
Being somewhat 'old school' and decidedly curmudgeonly I am a bit skeptical. :cool: Strength is seldom the limiting factor in (rock) climbing performance. Technique and head space are. Climbers wanting to improve should focus on that. Not only will they get better, they will be less prone to injury. That being said.... I can see the use of occlusion training for injury rehab. (similar I suppose to Voodoo flossing) If a climber does need strength improvements then for sure finger strength is the prime area to focus on. It will be interesting to see how this progresses. (I change my views on this from time to time... but I think lead climbing 5.12d trad is very doable without extensive 'strength training'...)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom