all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Q & D vs S & S for KB beginner

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CBJ

First Post
Greetings from India! I'm 5.8' 155lb (70kgs) and just turned 46. Last 10 years or so have been doing body weight training with some lifting just to keep in shape. Wish to now shift to strength training which has brought me here. Would like some advise if I should start with Q&D or S&S?
Especially, Q&D- it says it is made for the 'advanced' minimalist. What does that mean really? Someone who is a pro athlete? Also says this program is good for one who wants to maintain power and strength as one ages. Lot of confusion. Any clarification/ advise here between the 2 methods would help. Thanks in advance

Advanced in this sense means "past intermediate" lifter - you may not be strong, but you are definitely not weak.
Start with S&S, proceed to Timeless Simple. Own the 32 - easy breathing, forceful hip extension, great float - then try Q&D.

Q&D is great to maintain and improve power and strength as one ages, in a minimal dose. But you need the skills first. S&S

Last edited:
The weight that you would use with QnD is small compare to other programs. Also the volume. Without the demand from heavy weight, you need to make the weight "heavier" by yourself. Generating strong force with light weight is a skill that require time and experience. That is my understanding about "advance" in QnD.
If you just need to get in shape, swing and goblet squat and some basic calisthenics like push up, pull up are enough. Program is secondary right now, just practice the movements with right form, "hardstyle" and follow the basic principles of strength training - then you will be stronger. Or more precisely, the right program right now should make you follow the requirements above.

If you have to choose right now between two programs, I would advise SnS, because, well, it's Simple :)

SnS explained, with my understanding:
- goblet squat: remain the basic squat pattern, help loosening the hips muscle which is usually tight.
- Swing: many books and articles had already pointed out the benefits of swing.
- Turkish get up: the semi grind exercise that keeps you tight and become one piece at all time. That skills of staying tight and move as one piece are crucial for strength training.
The program (I have 1.0 version) requires you to do 5x 3 goblet squat (also 5x3 halo and 5x3 hip bridge), 10x10 swing and 5 Turkish get ups each side daily. The reasons for the amount of volume each exercises and daily training are in the book (it's another way to say that I'm lazy to explain right now). But please read the book, it's eye-opening for me.

Advanced in this sense means "past intermediate" lifter - you may not be strong, but you are definitely not weak.
Start with S&S, proceed to Timeless Simple. Own the 32 - easy breathing, forceful hip extension, great float - then try Q&D.

Q&D is great to maintain and improve power and strength as one ages, in a minimal dose. But you need the skills first. S&S

Perfect, thank you wespom9. This is very helpful and clear.

Perfect, thank you wespom9. This is very helpful and clear.

Not a problem. Best of luck in your journey and welcome! If you are comfortable, post videos of your swing. You will get very helpful advice here

Reactions: CBJ
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom