all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S (Simply Snatch)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rwleonard

Level 7 Valued Member
I am going to take a few months and apply the S&S swing template to snatches, same sets, reps, rests, progression tactics, doing 2HSw every third workout, etc.. The initial plan is to do this M/Tu/Th/F, and ruck on W/Sat. Thursday will be 2HSw, the rest snatching. I may add snatch/swing days as tolerated. Sn/Sw/Sn/Ruck, repeat, might be good, too.

I am giving this a shot because: I enjoy snatching and what it does for me; I am working around some injuries that many things annoy, but snatching doesn't; and I want to strongly snatch at least the 32kg for sets of ten to lay the base for some serious A+A /Q+D work.

I see no earthly reason this shouldn't work just fine, but am certainly open to suggestions/critiques, dire warnings, etc.

I will let you known how it goes in a few months.

I am going to take a few months and apply the S&S swing template to snatches, same sets, reps, rests, progression tactics, doing 2HSw every third workout, etc.. The initial plan is to do this M/Tu/Th/F, and ruck on W/Sat. Thursday will be 2HSw, the rest snatching. I may add snatch/swing days as tolerated. Sn/Sw/Sn/Ruck, repeat, might be good, too.

I am giving this a shot because: I enjoy snatching and what it does for me; I am working around some injuries that many things annoy, but snatching doesn't; and I want to strongly snatch at least the 32kg for sets of ten to lay the base for some serious A+A /Q+D work.

I see no earthly reason this shouldn't work just fine, but am certainly open to suggestions/critiques, dire warnings, etc.

What specifically do you prefer about snatches to the swing right now? I’ve never done more than a few snatches at a time and never actually looked into what they work.

I have only rarely done snatches until 4-5 weeks ago and I am in love. It is one of those movements that make you feel like “one piece”. I was thinking at some point of doing 10x5/5 snatches + 10 x 10 Goblet squats (with a KB one or two sizes bigger) like a pirated S&S. Let us know how your program works out!

Interesting.

Will you be doing TGU as well?

Are you aware of the test program Royal Simple and Sinister (RSAS), that @Pavel Macek tested with a couple of forum members? That was Snatch and Bent Press. You could ask, perhaps Pavel could share the programming concept, although the experiment had been parked.

@Pavel Macek has been working for years on a something like this, I think it was called Royal S&S and now runs under the working title IPM.

In the meantime, Retro Program Minimum Squared might be something for you, at least the "Snatch Genus":

TGU's annoy a shoulder ding I have right now. Bent Presses don't though, and I like them. I am doing light ones as part of my warm-up, and will look at adding them once I have the volume/frequency figured out for snatches.

I was pretty happy with the results from snatch-only Q&D, and I want to make snatching the clear priority for a while and will only consider other stuff to the extent that they support the snatching.

In a very similar place:
1) love snatching and also have the 32 in my sights, having done A+A snatches up to the 28 and now almost halfway through 12 weeks of Q&D with the 24
2) also have old injuries impeding TGU progress - in my case, niggling ankles that interfere with everything
3) major in the snatch, with swing as the only kb assistance exercise I do now (apart from warm-up goblet squats)

Only suggestion would be to drop the 2HSw on Thursday in favor of 1HSw with the 32 - figure one-handed swings with the bell you want to snatch next must be a lot more goal-efficient

Hope your Simply Snatch experiment results in you soon snatching the 32 well

Last edited:
I am having a hard time pin-pointing what about the TGU irritates it. It doesn't hurt during the event.

The injury is from getting very excited about one arm push-up progress and trying the real thing too soon, and feeling something in the front of my shoulder get longer than it should be. Now, any load directly to the front is problematic. I can MP, bent press and side press without issue though. One arm swings bug it, snatches and 2HSw don't though.

When we hury we often get delayed is one lesson I have learned in life..

Have you had your form checked by an SFG? small tweaks can make a world of difference in terms of less effort and moving pain free

What specifically do you prefer about snatches to the swing right now? .

During the lock down I've been doing 100 swings and 100 snatches three times a week. I find the swings are taxing on my lower back, butt, and ham strings. The snatches are taxing on the upper back and shoulders. I"m put on definite pounds of muscle on my shoulders during this period.

During the lock down I've been doing 100 swings and 100 snatches three times a week. I find the swings are taxing on my lower back, butt, and ham strings. The snatches are taxing on the upper back and shoulders. I"m put on definite pounds of muscle on my shoulders during this period.
I made a deal w myself to stick to S and S but that sounds enticing.

Did it feel better when you adjusted your gaze?
So I definitely think my neck hurt from sleeping on my stomach which I stopped doing. At the same time I also started looking more straight up than forward and my neck hasn’t had any issues since. Hard to say what it’s from but really unpacking the issue I would guess it was sleeping funny causing the problem and the TGU revealing it.

So I definitely think my neck hurt from sleeping on my stomach which I stopped doing. At the same time I also started looking more straight up than forward and my neck hasn’t had any issues since. Hard to say what it’s from but really unpacking the issue I would guess it was sleeping funny causing the problem and the TGU revealing it.

A few more tweaks and you'll feel better..

Do you do any ground force method /original strength?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom