all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S Hamstring tweak during swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rumsmike

Level 6 Valued Member
Today during my fifth set of swings with the 40kg bell (after 2 sets of 32kg) I felt a quick pain halfway down my right hamstring. I parked the bell and skipped the rest of the sets but I did do the getups with no problem, though I could feel a very slight discomfort in some of the positions.

Disappointed of course but the funny thing is that in between sets I was daydreaming a bit about how close I am to starting to incorporate the 48kg (in the next month or so based on my step loading from 2.0). I felt like the 40 was really flying with lots of float. I felt for the first time that I truly owned the weight.

Then this, which I've never experienced in 2 or 3 years of doing S&S. Probably my body telling me that I'm not ready to move up. Probably a valuable lesson in staying focused as well.

Going to take some days off, see if I can find some trigger points and then eat some humble pie and use a lighter weight for a while.

Anybody else ever experience this pain? I think it's my biceps femoris.

I have in recent weeks added lots of walking and some light (10% bodyweight) rucking to my daily routine and am thinking somehow this may have contributed to it.

I have in recent weeks added lots of walking and some light (10% bodyweight) rucking to my daily routine and am thinking somehow this may have contributed to it.
More than likely, no.

in between sets I was daydreaming a bit about how close I am to starting to incorporate the 48kg (in the next month or so based on my step loading from 2.0).
This. We've all done it. Rest it and then start again....

I buy what some have said about the hamstring working a bit differently as a hip extensor and a knee flexor. Since I added knee flexion work, no more hammy problems.... Others may disagree.

It may also help if you can upload a vid of your swings..

One thing I've learned: the load is a very good teacher. Some things you can get away with on the lighter bells get exposed when you move up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom