all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Fractured Ankle, need advice on modifying S & S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
Bugger.☹

Accident at work today; went over on my right ankle. X Ray confirmed a minor fracture and strained ligaments. Recovery should take around 6 - 8 weeks.

I was lucky the doctor who treated me used to work out at the same gym before Lockdown. When I asked him about returning to training, he said I could probably return to doing Swings in about a week or so as long as I was very careful. But I shouldn't put any weight through the ankle until I was fully recovered. So TGU's are out for the next 6 weeks at least.

Any ideas on how to modify S & S when TGU's aren't an option? Cheers.

Some form of pressing? Bench Press, Floor Press, Incline Press or Dips, Easy Strength style.

+ TGU to Elbow or to Tall Sit (maybe even one bell heavier than usual).

Get well soon!

Some form of pressing? Bench Press, Floor Press, Incline Press or Dips, Easy Strength style.

+ TGU to Elbow or to Tall Sit (maybe even one bell heavier than usual).

Get well soon!
Your TGU will still improve if you practice just to the elbow + hand/tall sit with a heavy bell, provided you don't lose any mobility / your ability to get up and down off the floor. The hardest part of the TGU is the beginning, and you can simulate the time under tension pretty easily by extending your holds at the various positions. 10s hold at the elbow, 10s hold at the hand, 10s hold at the elbow, switch hands. Do as many as you can in 10 minutes with the heaviest bell you can manage without losing integrity.

Make sure the ankles move as little as possible.
IMO, I would advise against it. If you are focusing on immobilizing 1 ankle while performing swings then you won't be focusing on everything else you need to be focusing on. The body is one piece. If there is a broken link in the chain, you will be exposed and bleed tension, especially during a ballistic exercise.

Your TGU will still improve if you practice just to the elbow + hand/tall sit with a heavy bell, provided you don't lose any mobility / your ability to get up and down off the floor. The hardest part of the TGU is the beginning, and you can simulate the time under tension pretty easily by extending your holds at the various positions. 10s hold at the elbow, 10s hold at the hand, 10s hold at the elbow, switch hands. Do as many as you can in 10 minutes with the heaviest bell you can manage without losing integrity.

That sounds like very good advice. My TGU's suck even when I'm uninjured. Most of the time I can't bridge high enough to sweep my leg back and get it trapped under me. By working what I can in isolation, I might be able to perform better when I can get back to full TGU's.

I would agree about not doing swings....if you are immobilized in some sort of device, not only do you not have sensation/feedback from that foot to aid your swing (hence the Strongfirst advice to wear as flat of footwear as possible, or none at all), and the issue of one leg taking thr brunt more than the other , it would be next to impossible to not put weight at all on the foot. You would also have to consider what the foot is immobilized in- you also risk skin breakdown over pressure points and bony areas from the movement you do have, even if there is foam and such involved (like if in in a "walking boot". Vs a cast...they may be walking, but one needs to rest as well).

Having been off S&S myself in the past with an injury myself and unable to swing or do getups, I would say relax, you have great ideas regarding the getup, and take this opportunity to not worry about swings. They will come back to you quicker than you think and your lungs will catch up as well.

I would agree about not doing swings....if you are immobilized in some sort of device, not only do you not have sensation/feedback from that foot to aid your swing (hence the Strongfirst advice to wear as flat of footwear as possible, or none at all), and the issue of one leg taking thr brunt more than the other , it would be next to impossible to not put weight at all on the foot. You would also have to consider what the foot is immobilized in- you also risk skin breakdown over pressure points and bony areas from the movement you do have, even if there is foam and such involved (like if in in a "walking boot". Vs a cast...they may be walking, but one needs to rest as well).

Having been off S&S myself in the past with an injury myself and unable to swing or do getups, I would say relax, you have great ideas regarding the getup, and take this opportunity to not worry about swings. They will come back to you quicker than you think and your lungs will catch up as well.

Thank you.

My foot isn't immobilized. I suffered what the doctor called a, "torsion fracture". This means when I went over on my ankle, the tendons pulled so tight they actually chipped a tiny bit of bone off the ankle. In this kind of injury, wearing a moon boot doesn't really have any benefit.

Thank you.

My foot isn't immobilized. I suffered what the doctor called a, "torsion fracture". This means when I went over on my ankle, the tendons pulled so tight they actually chipped a tiny bit of bone off the ankle. In this kind of injury, wearing a moon boot doesn't really have any benefit.
I had one of those in high school, and it seemed to take forever to heal. Be careful with anything bearing your bodyweight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom