all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Lateral Hinges for better Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tobias K.

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi all,

with my KB Swings I sometimes noticed asymmetry occuring in the hip hinge leading to uneven tension and power generation of my glutes.
As a regular practioner of Foundation Training I would like to share the following tip that helped me tremendously in dealing with this issue: Lateral Hinges.

The Lateral Hinge was created to address the asymmetry that can occur in the hip hinge. Asymmetry is when the right or left side of the pelvis does not move in rhythm with the other. Hips can lose their symmetry due to a variety of factors that are often called a “short hip.” But these situations are more accurately described as muscle imbalances relating to the hip. Some common causes include: A quadratus lumborum that does not want to lengthen; Adductors avoiding contraction or staying engaged in a short position; And/or a psoas that is resistant to lengthening.

By isolating an individual hip in a hip hinge and utilizing the natural counterbalance of the opposite arm reaching, the Lateral Hinge prompts the spiraling mechanism of the adductors & Iliotibial band. Herein, the adductor lengthening becomes the primary goal of the hip hinge allowing the adductors, the psoas, and the quadratus lumborum to lengthen more on that side. By training healthy asymmetry you address the dysfunctional asymmetry to allow for hip hinge symmetry. -from Dr. Eric Goodman

You can take a look at the technique in this video:

I usually do a few sets of 5 reps per side before my KB practice. It helped me a lot, my Swings feel much more powerful and 'balanced'. Maybe it is helpful for you, too.

A different approach than what we mostly see..

Glad you found something that works for you and appreciate you sharing..

Hi all,

with my KB Swings I sometimes noticed asymmetry occuring in the hip hinge leading to uneven tension and power generation of my glutes.
As a regular practioner of Foundation Training I would like to share the following tip that helped me tremendously in dealing with this issue: Lateral Hinges.

You can take a look at the technique in this video:

I usually do a few sets of 5 reps per side before my KB practice. It helped me a lot, my Swings feel much more powerful and 'balanced'. Maybe it is helpful for you, too.

I worked the Lat. Hinge in with my warm-up this am. Excellent. Much appreciated.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom