all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Genetics...?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

offwidth

Level 10 Valued Member
Here is a question I posed to one of our brothers on another thread...

I think it is generally accepted that genetics play a role in physical attributes. If you want to be great... pick great parents.

Are things like motivation, willpower, or whatever we choose to call it genetically determined?

I used to think genetics were highly overrated. Now I’m not so sure. As for those other qualities, no not genetic. Nobody has to find motivation and will power for things they’re interested in.

I like Mihaly C.’s research and discussion on the Flow State for those qualities.

I am gonna go with: genetics determine potential ability. Hard work and good training determine what % of that potential is expressed.

Now, are willpower, the ability to work hard, resilience also determined by genetics as well? Possibly, and it will be interesting to find a good study on that (twins, long dated study, etc).

Either the History Channel or Nat Geo did a show one time basically about “Nature vs Nurture” and my man Henry Rollins was the host. It was really informative. They did a study about the so called “warrior gene” that tends to make aggressive alpha male types.

what they found was interesting... Gene DOES exist but the, and I’m no scientist here, epigenetics of it determined whether it expresses itself or not. So the big take away was... Tons of violent criminals in prison DIDN’T have the gene and there were also Tibetan monks who DID have it.
Nature and nurture both played an equally important roll in how people turned out.

My two cents... I think people can be genetically predisposed for a type of behavior and really nail it down put in that situation. I also think MOST people have the ability to learn that behavior and dial it in.

I feel I was genetically predisposed for laziness and mediocrity to be perfectly honest... But I appear to be SUPER motivated to everyone around me. My diet/training/etc... What they don’t see is my bathroom mirror with post it notes all over it like “you will do S and S every f****** day to earn your Sunday off” or “You are out of shape and lazy. You never have stuck to anything but you will stick to your diet plan and you will become what you are meant to be!”

Either the History Channel or Nat Geo did a show one time basically about “Nature vs Nurture” and my man Henry Rollins was the host. It was really informative. They did a study about the so called “warrior gene” that tends to make aggressive alpha male types.

what they found was interesting... Gene DOES exist but the, and I’m no scientist here, epigenetics of it determined whether it expresses itself or not. So the big take away was... Tons of violent criminals in prison DIDN’T have the gene and there were also Tibetan monks who DID have it.
Nature and nurture both played an equally important roll in how people turned out.

My two cents... I think people can be genetically predisposed for a type of behavior and really nail it down put in that situation. I also think MOST people have the ability to learn that behavior and dial it in.

I feel I was genetically predisposed for laziness and mediocrity to be perfectly honest... But I appear to be SUPER motivated to everyone around me. My diet/training/etc... What they don’t see is my bathroom mirror with post it notes all over it like “you will do S and S every f****** day to earn your Sunday off” or “You are out of shape and lazy. You never have stuck to anything but you will stick to your diet plan and you will become what you are meant to be!”

Mirror talking is a powerful tool. Gents like Simmons use it.

" Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." Worked very well for Mike Tyson. And next level genetics.

Cus D'Amato had him repeat that affirmation 20 times when waking up and before bed time.

Last edited:
Hello,

Grit, will power, motivation, can be naturally present but IMO are mainly things we learn, both from our education and from mirroring behaviours.

I think we can get them when we know the 'why'.

They can also be experienced by comparing our currrent situation to situation of other people (so in this case this is purely intellectual)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Genetics definitely play a role in our lives. Determining a percentage contribution of nature or nurture, I believe, is impossible.
I think we as humans are very good at making iterations of improving ourselves from time period to time period. I think this is evidence that environment is the gasoline to our genetic engine.

Regardless, it appears to be trainable.

Armed forces around the world figured out how to 'make soldiers' at scale with sufficient willpower and motivation to be effective long ago.
My experience in the military was exactly along the lines of what my dear old dad (who surprisingly enough was also in the army) used to always tell me...
“I can’t make you do anything... but I can sure as heck make you wish had of done it”

Genetics certainly determine your upper bound, but they also determine the ease with which you can approach that potential. Some lucky folks are just born not needing huge amounts of discipline or dedication - things just come easy.

I tend to believe that discipline/dedication are primarily learned, as opposed to inherent. But they manifest in the context of the individual's inherent aptitudes, which are genetic, and desires, which come from who-knows-where.

One who is talented at what they love may appear very dedicated. But does it really take dedication to do what you love, particularly if you are good at it? The one who lacks talent at what they love is the one who needs real dedication in order to be happy.

One who is talented but doing something they don't love is likely to lack dedication. And one who lacks talent and is doing something they don't love... well, probably time to do something else.

One who is talented at what they love may appear very dedicated. But does it really take dedication to do what you love, particularly if you are good at it? The one who lacks talent at what they love is the one who needs real dedication in order to be happy.

Amen to that: I'm built like a gazelle and would probably have much greater success in distance running than weightlifting. I'd much rather lift weights and suck at it though. Go figure.

I think willpower and motivation are products of environment and upbringing, to a point at least. As a child you observe behaviours in parents, siblings, friends etc. and adopt those which appear to grant the greatest success. You can preach all you want to children but if you don't live by those principles and get by through cheating or manipulating people that's the behaviour they'll pick up on.

Additionally, if you're highly praised for 'talent' as opposed to hard work in your childhood, it can be hard in later life to develop a mindset that will allow you to improve or develop weaknesses or deficiencies as you'll ascribe success to being 'gifted' rather than dedicated.

Genetics and nutrition esp in pre adolescence determine potential. This can also have a big effect on overall skeletal and muscular build.

Epigenetics determine if the genetic potential is uncovered. The mental factor is more conditioned, and nothing improves that more than success.

behaviours in parents,
So if parents have willpower and motivation and similar positive traits... could it not be possible that these have a genetic component that could be passed on? I really don’t know the answer, if it’s even possible to know the answer, or indeed if we even need to know the answer. I just thought it an interesting question... and it seems to have generated some good conversation.

So if parents have willpower and motivation and similar positive traits... could it not be possible that these have a genetic component that could be passed on?

It's such an interesting idea. Could there be some quirk of mental chemistry that creates these qualities in people? I know clinical depression can be influenced by genetic factors. In the same way that depression can rob someone of their determination and drive to succeed even when circumstances are not necessarily all that challenging, maybe there's a sort of 'anti-depression' that gives people the strength to power through even when things are going terribly?

If you could bottle it, you'd make a fortune.

It's such an interesting idea. Could there be some quirk of mental chemistry that creates these qualities in people? I know clinical depression can be influenced by genetic factors. In the same way that depression can rob someone of their determination and drive to succeed even when circumstances are not necessarily all that challenging, maybe there's a sort of 'anti-depression' that gives people the strength to power through even when things are going terribly?

If you could bottle it, you'd make a fortune.
I think that anti-depressant is the WHY. Neither of my parents were particularly motivated or anything. I mean they worked hard at their jobs but had no real ambition for anything in life. I learned and adapted later in life once I had a real WHY. And it’s like that old quote about motivation (or reminding your self why you’re doing this) being like showering. It woks but you You need it daily for it to really work.
I hate to say it but some people just aren’t at the point where they have a WHY that will get them through the tough times or motivate them to get off the couch. I don’t know if it’s really fair or unfair but until someone wants it bad enough it just sits there like the 32 in my corner saying “You gonna do something or what?”

Additionally, if you're highly praised for 'talent' as opposed to hard work in your childhood, it can be hard in later life to develop a mindset that will allow you to improve or develop weaknesses or deficiencies as you'll ascribe success to being 'gifted' rather than dedicated.
In the last couple of years I have been highly influenced by "The Growth Mindset Coach" by Carol Dweck. After over three decades of teaching and coaching under my belt I welcomed her perspective. Her general thrust is that we need to recognize effort and work over pure achievement. The kids I would jump into a fox hole with were the ones that put in the work and effort and knew the glory of having completely immersed and committed themselves. Nothing against the gifted kids, they often did yeoman's work helping their classmates, but things came easy for them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom