all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG question: retesting the max.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
How long should one wait before re-testing one's max? Say I can do 10 Push Ups with good form. That gives me a GTG training max of 5 reps, repeated multiple times throughout the day. How many days should I do GTG with 5 reps before retesting my Press Up max?

Apologies if this question has been asked before. Thank you.

Hello,

@NormanOsborn
Did you use Pavel's GTG or more something like this:

Pavel's GTG is based on improving motion pattern efficiency for a specific move (especially the technical move). This usually takes some time. To answer your question, when I used it for the pistol, I tested 1 month after the very beginning

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@NormanOsborn
Did you use Pavel's GTG or more something like this:

Pavel's GTG is based on improving motion pattern efficiency for a specific move (especially the technical move). This usually takes some time. To answer your question, when I used it for the pistol, I tested 1 month after the very beginning

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pavel's. Since I'm doing S & S anyway, I figured I might as well keep it in the family, so to speak.

Hello,

@NormanOsborn
I enjoy taking my time with a drill. Most of the time, I need at least 1 month to reap the benefits : at the beginning I leatn the drill, then I get the physical benefits (strength, etc...)

The more drills you learn, the less time you need to learn new ones (some sort of neuro-plasticity)

Kind regards,

Pet'

How long should one wait before re-testing one's max? Say I can do 10 Push Ups with good form. That gives me a GTG training max of 5 reps, repeated multiple times throughout the day. How many days should I do GTG with 5 reps before retesting my Press Up max?

Apologies if this question has been asked before. Thank you.
See if you can judge by effort. You needn't necessarily always do 5's with a 10RM - you could do 4 if the 4th one felt difficult, or 6 if the 5th felt really easy. I would recommend testing when you think your max has gone up, and that would happen as you acclimate to a higher volume over time. I'd say anywhere from once a month to once every 3 months would work for testing.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom