all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 25 minutes..S&S? Run? Or something else????

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Frank Matthews

Level 4 Valued Member
My average S&S session takes me roughly 25 minutes ( acheived simple, working with 40kg bell for some lifts now). If i have that space of time most days am i best to stick with this routine, run for 25 minutes or is there something else out there others may want to point me to?

My average S&S session takes me roughly 25 minutes ( acheived simple, working with 40kg bell for some lifts now). If i have that space of time most days am i best to stick with this routine, run for 25 minutes or is there something else out there others may want to point me to?
Am I correct that the book says once you hit simple you can decrease the frequency to 3 days a week or something? Maybe think about decreasing to 3 days for GPP and use a different kind of program for a more specific training? Just an idea.
I would advise against running... feels horrible.o_O

Just to stay as fit as possible within this timescale for a man in his late 40's....

What else do you have going on in your life?

@JamesPTA alluded to the fact that “as fit as possible” is still kinda vague. I’m in my 60’s and my lifestyle might demand significantly more (or less) fitness than a person in their 40’s or 20’s even.

That being said...you already have a great base having reached simple, so kudos for that. For some folks continuing to maintain that might be all they ever need.

For ‘fitness’ (whatever that means) maybe you want to look at Q&D. Or perhaps venture into some A+A snatching. I’m an endurance guy so I always look to some form of locomotive training like running.

Personally I train to support other activities (climbing, bike racing, OCR, and the like)

Of course... there is always Sinister to aim for if you are so inclined...

You could take a few sets off of the Q&D protocol 015, you last set of push-ups begins at 28:30 on the full 10 sets. Guessing you could spare and extra 3:40. ? Running also excellent. Walk 100 steps, fast jog 100 steps for 25 mins, or any other variation.

I would run A&A training every other day, when not doing that you can run, do body weight, have a get up only day, whatever. The A&A swings will at least maintain, probably build your explosive strength and the other stuff can build up your cardio, except the get ups. 18-26 rounds of 5-8 reps done on the minute will give you plenty of work.

I think the most basic answer i can give is i want "heart health". Yes, everybody wants to be a bit bigger here and a bit smaller there but i want a healthy heart and to move freely and turn my hand to most athletic endeavors...

S&S is going to be hard to beat for that. If you found the time for a long ruck or run (LSD-style) once a week or so, it would be even better.

I think the most basic answer i can give is i want "heart health". Yes, everybody wants to be a bit bigger here and a bit smaller there but i want a healthy heart and to move freely and turn my hand to most athletic endeavors...
Some form of KB Ballistic (e.g. swings from S&S) and LED aerobic work are going to give you “heart health”

I’m following the programs written out in this.

Some great responses, thankyou. What is LED aerobic work please? Is s&s really good for heart health considering the lack of time spent with the rate elevated? I don't find my resting heart rate is as low now as from when i used to erg row or even cycle to and from work for example! (Though i am definitely stronger and in better shape from when i used to do them I'd like to add)

Some great responses, thankyou. What is LED aerobic work please? Is s&s really good for heart health considering the lack of time spent with the rate elevated? I don't find my resting heart rate is as low now as from when i used to erg row or even cycle to and from work for example! (Though i am definitely stronger and in better shape from when i used to do them I'd like to add)
As far as heart health The Department of Health and Human Services recommends:
For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) to 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. Preferably, aerobic activity should be spread throughout the week
150 minutes between 5 days is 30 minutes of activity.

Last edited:
Thanks. Imho they all sound the same.... keep moving slowly with heart rate not too high. My question still stands about s&s though. Do people on here think it's all we ever need for a strong heart? Assuming we keep at it at a decent level of effort? ?

My question still stands about s&s though. Do people on here think it's all we ever need for a strong heart?
If you read Q&D and/or attend Strong Endurance, you'll realize there is more than one kind of heart training, and more than one kind of strong heart. Adaptations are specific, carryover varies, combinations can be trained to achieve multiple effects. If you can't do anything else, I'd swing a kettlebell as my chosen activity over any sort of long, easy distance training, but both would be better than either alone.

-S-

For health, there is significant evidence that aiming for these guidelines will provide "substantial health benefits":

1599184500450.png

I think that S&S and similar kettlebell actiities can meet the objectives of both the muscle strengthening activities and the aerobic activity, but for best health benefits you'd want to add some more hiking, walking, running, etc. to meet the minimum recommended durations.

Thanks. Imho they all sound the same.... keep moving slowly with heart rate not too high. My question still stands about s&s though. Do people on here think it's all we ever need for a strong heart? Assuming we keep at it at a decent level of effort? ?
LED does not necessarily imply moving slowly. Sufficiently developed endurance athletes can actually move quite quickly and still be at or below their AeT...

Sprinting is a powerful tool for heart health, and if you have a 25 minute block of time to work with, you’ll have a handful of sprints interspersed with long recovery periods. The recovery periods are such an essential part of sprint training that one can’t think of the resting as “doing nothing.”

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom