all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Quick and the Dead programming for me and couple questions....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Buckfan74

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi Guys and Gals. First let me say thanks for all ya all do. My background is I am a FF and have have spent most the last five years doing S+S and have enjoyed it. But my 47 year old bones and joint are telling me to move on to something else for awhile. So Q+D is going to be it.

I have been able to complete the Timed simple standard.
I can do timeless with the 40kg
i can 2H swing the Beast with decent form.

I think these clearly self qualify me to move onto Q+D

So today I sat out to figure out what weights I should be using for swings and snatches along with PUs. Testing was as follows....
LH 28kg. Slowed somewhat at :21 with 14 reps.
RH 28kg, Slowed at :25 with 15 reps
PU Body Weight :21 slowed 25 reps
2H 32KG Slowed at :21 15 reps
SN L 24KG Slowed at :23 11 reps
SN R 24KG Slowed at :23 11 reps

Here are the questions....

I stopped these test when I felt myself slowing, Is that the correct way?

For those who have went down this road, do these seem like about right weights to start program with? Planning to use these for next 6-10 weeks because I have several weeks I will be in mountains.

I am assuming these would be the best Weights to use according to testing. Or are we to use something slightly bigger than the testing weight? was kinda confused by this in the book.

Outside of the Q+D workouts the only other thing I am going to do is some rucking and hill work. Prolly a few pull ups on Q+D days. Nothing major though.

Thanks for any input or advise from any you guys who have experience with Q+D.

Scott.

Last edited:
Recently finished going down this road, enjoyed the journey, and gained from it

Reckon Q&D is a great choice to change up your training - plus the lower frequency and volume with the variability will give the bones and joints and brain concurrently a welcome break

I too found the testing section of the book somewhat unclear and, in my case, unnecessary anyway - just dived right into the program with the heaviest bell I could do 10 powerful reps with: for me that was the 24 for snatches and it looks that way for you too

I simply stuck to Plan 044, 10/2 protocol - with WTHEs like improved military press and pull-up plus hypertrophy, this was a no-brainer for me

Trained a.m. fasted 3/4x a week (every other day) and found the sessions refreshingly short, sharp, and surprisingly energizing (endorphin buzz?) - plenty of energy left for the rest of the day, and recovery no issue whatsoever for this 51 year-old

Already looking forward to going down this road again with the 28 once I've accumulated a hefty chunk of volume snatching the 32 A+A

Hope this helps answer some of your questions

Last edited:
Recently finished going down this road, enjoyed the journey, and gained from it

Reckon Q&D is a great choice to change up your training - plus the lower frequency and volume with the variability will give the bones and joints and brain concurrently a welcome break

I too found the testing section of the book somewhat unclear and, in my case, unnecessary anyway - just dived right into the program with the heaviest bell I could do 10 powerful reps with: for me that was the 24 for snatches and it looks that way for you too

I simply stuck to Plan 044, 10/2 protocol - with WTHEs like improved military press and pull-up plus hypertrophy, this was a no-brainer for me

Trained a.m. fasted 3/4x a week (every other day) and found the sessions refreshingly short, sharp, and surprisingly energizing (endorphin buzz?) - plenty of energy left for the rest of the day, and recovery no issue whatsoever for this 51 year-old

Already looking forward to going down this road again with the 28 once I've accumulated a hefty chunk of volume snatching the 32 A+A

Hope this helps answer some of your questions
Thanks for the help Duncan. Will update the outcomes later.

Thanks Duncan for the input. one these days I am going to try and find out what the A+A thing I see all over actually consist of..lol

one these days I am going to try and find out what the A+A thing I see all over actually consist of..lol

A+A simplified:
1) 5 snatches left, rest 1 minute, 5 snatches right, rest 1 minute and keep doing this for 30 or 45 or 60 minutes, 2 - 4 days/week
2) Go ruck or any other form of LED exercise 2 or 3x /week
These two things works in synergy to build strength endurance

Q&D and A+A also synergistic: former for mitochondrial biogenesis, latter for mitochondrial respiration

If you wanna dive deeper into the biochemistry of A+A, then I recommend this series of articles:

Last edited:
A+A simplified:
1) 5 snatches left, rest 1 minute, 5 snatches right, rest 1 minute and keep doing this for 30 or 45 or 60 minutes, 2 - 4 days/week

Q&D and A+A also synergistic: former for mitochondrial biogenesis, latter for mitochondrial respiration

If you wanna dive deeper into the biochemistry of A+A, then I recommend this series of articles:
Thank you....that was very easy to understand explanation.....eventually I am going to give this a shot also

A+A simplified:

Rest the rest of the minute or one full minute after finishing? If one is doing swings is it 5 as well? Full power?

Rest the rest of the minute or one full minute after finishing? If one is doing swings is it 5 as well? Full power?

I'll answer your questions in order to the best of my knowledge - someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

rest for however long it takes you to recover - typically longer than you think/feel. Don't worry about the clock, just do fast 'n' loose drills while nasal breathing - variable recovery times probably beneficial anyway;

the aim is to target the alactic energy pathway - about 10 seconds of work therefore 7 or 8 swings. 10 swings EMOM would be too glycolytic for A+A;

not full power as in Q&D - you want to be able to go for at least 30 repeats (15 sets per hand alternating L & R) per session.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom