all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Looking for workout suggestions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I have a new work schedule which gives me about 20 - 30 minutes in the morning Mon - Fri and am looking for workout program suggestions.

I realize that S&S or PTP would be a good fit but the exercise selections don't really work for me so I'm looking for alternatives which follow a similar schedule and can be done in the basement.

My only goals really are "health and fitness". I was thinking maybe some kind of upper/lower or A/B/A type plan or maybe alternate strength/OS/yoga or... I'm not really sure so I'd welcome suggestions. Maybe there's something I haven't thought of that would be good.

Some form of whole body conditioning circuit with alternating daily emphasis on one strength focus per day of push/pull/hinge/squat.
I like that idea. Strength training with some form of conditioning/mobility/endurance type thing would be about right. As I get older I become more concerned with maintaining muscle, heart health, and not moving like an old man.

My vote would be to get @Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Express or even better Kettlebell Express Ultra for double KBs. Dozens and dozens of awesome programs between 20 and 30 minutes long. Fill in the off days with whatever floats your boat but doesn't take away from those main workouts.

I'm fairly well equipped - barbell, dumbbells, some kettlebells, bench, rack, playground rings I use for inverted rows. Short ceiling.

And the 20-30 minutes is total time available.
Starting off easy and light is the warm up.

1. Q&D 015
2. Walk/jog or jog 20-30 mins,MAF.
3. 20 GU's
4. Take a KB for a 20-30 min walk.
5. Inverted ring rows alt with back or front squats on the :60 or :90 for duration.

1. Is Mon, 2. Is Tues, etc.

Last edited:
I realize that S&S or PTP would be a good fit but the exercise selections don't really work for me
What works? and why does [this and that] work?

Thanks for reaching out. Your post/thread will probably inspire others :)

/Martin Joe

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There are lots of options but part of the challenge is that exercises like swings and getups (as well as bench press, heavy squats and deads) don't agree with me so that leaves out most of the programs people talk about on this site. I have a medical history that adds some additional considerations regarding exercise selection. Mostly I'm looking for scheduling/programming ideas to help put together something that makes sense, I should be able to fill in the details in a way that works for me.

And I'm reminding myself there's no need to complicate it and there's no perfect workout. Maybe as a change of pace, I'll give a higher rep calisthenics type workout a try. Like, full body on M,W,F and something like OS/mobility on Tues and Thurs? Do that for a month and then reevaluate?

As I get older I become more concerned with maintaining muscle, heart health, and not moving like an old man.
Maybe as a change of pace, I'll give a higher rep calisthenics type workout a try. Like, full body on M,W,F and something like OS/mobility on Tues and Thurs?

My two cents:
Try Mike Chang's style of training. He's got a bit of the "fitness guru" vibe going on, and has a fancy name for his method ("flow" training) but he has really positive energy and the simplicity of his style might be what you're after.

It's all done with bodyweight. You basically do a quick loose warmup (swing your arms, light hopping, shaking, etc)
Then it's basically:
1 minute of pushups
1 minute of pullups
1 minute of handstand pushups
1 minute of dips
1 minute of bodyweight squats
1 minute of jumps (however is comfortable for you)
1 minute of lunges
1 minute of kicks (no particular style; just to swing your legs, keep moving, etc)
1 minute of shadowboxing/punches
1 minute of . . .???
And finish with planks and stretching

You get the idea. You could swap these out for whatever you'd like, maybe alternating upper and lower body, throw in some rest minutes, split it up between days, etc... For each minute you just keep doing reps, slowing down as you need to maintain form. If you followed the above example you might only do like 2 handstand pushups at that point, and that would be fine. Chang says he can do this pretty much everyday since the total daily volume for each move is so limited. And if you pick 10 exercises, it'll only take you ~10 minutes give or take a bit.

I wrote a rough template rather than a structured training session, but for your goals and timeframe maybe something like this would fit?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom