all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training for golf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

oukeith1

Level 6 Valued Member
Any golfers in this forum? I’m wondering if anyone has thoughts on the best way to train for golf. And if kettlebell or barbell training has an advantage over the other. I can see an advantage with both....where kettlebells may help with mobility, while barbells will help with maximal strength and explosiveness.

I know I put this in the kettlebell forum, but wanted to make sure people see it. :)

Hey there, I'm TPI certified. Their research definitely supports training for strength and power - ground reaction force is correlated with swing speed, and therefore distance.

Remember that a tool is a tool - you can train the proper qualities many different ways. It's a matter of choosing the best for the athlete in front of you. You don't NEED a barbell to strong and you can become mobile with many tools other than a KB.

I will offer a humble opinion, however, and it is this: the 1 arm KB swing is one of the best exercises for the rotational athlete, and warrants inclusion in the program of any rotational athlete that can safely perform it. 2 arm swing a close second.

Also, a TPI certified professional. I have found via myself and and a handful of clients that kettlebells can be a very useful tool for golfers.

I agree w/ wespom9, swings (2h & 1h) are great ground reaction force and also for rotational athletes (1h). But I also really dig the various MP's that can be done. Great for shoulder health.- especially bottoms up.

A great add on is the grip strength from KB work is awesome for golfers.

Now off to go check on hardstyle golf.

I have been using kettlebells exclusively for the last 3 years in an effort to increase swing speed. I have lots of thoughts on this but the basis is
q&d type power focused workouts are critical, especially during the season. Swings and better than snatches but both are excellent. Stay away from slow grindy excercises in season and save them for the off season. I prefer single bell stuff during the season and doubles over the winter.

do stuff like q&d and a+a in season, things double jerks, double squats, dfw, kettlebell stong over the winter. S&S is kind of an in between program that could work in season if you can do TGU witthout ill effects. I am very sensitive to inflammation on that movement as well as the bentpress and prefer to stick to swing, snatch, and viking push press in season.

diet is critical, for me at least, to keep inflammation low and my golf speed up.

you must also practice swinging fast in addition to lifting powerfully. I use “speed sticks” in strongfirst fashion and practice 100% effort driver swings often.

S&S has helped my game for sure.

I`m also considering staying with S&S for few months and then switching to Q&D as the next season is getting closer.
I`m curious if that`s better for my golf and I should be ready to try it out.

S&S has helped my game for sure.

I`m also considering staying with S&S for few months and then switching to Q&D as the next season is getting closer.
I`m curious if that`s better for my golf and I should be ready to try it out.

I don't yet have enough practical experience to say for sure, but you could certainly benefit from doing the TPI power and strength testing measures. Though both programs are based on power endurance, S&S would probably lean closer to a strength-speed lift while the Q&D swing is more speed-strength (this is based off the idea that your "max power" bell is lower than your S&S bell, which I think is true for most people).
Depending on which quality you could improve the most would dictate your program

Use S&S as your base system. Add Tacfit 1/2 Swingblades.
For swing speed use an underweight club and an overweight.
Take an old driver, remove the clubhead and gorrila glue two golf balls with holes you drilled in them- perfect underweight club.
Grab another old driver and gorrilla tape two golf balls to the existing head.
Use the underweight, then standard then overweight clubs...swing for the fence with each one for 10 reps.

Now I need to learn more about heavy clubs. Those look very intriguing to me. Might have to buy one for my garage. Thanks for the links @Juri .

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom