all posts post new thread

Barbell Bench Press - Chuck Taylors Slip on Rubber Mats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I'm working on my BP arch, and my Chucks sometimes slip on the DL type rubber mats that are the floor of my basement gym.

Suggestions? New Chucks? Put a sheet of plywood under my power rack? Other shoes?

Thanks in advance.

-S-

That happens to me sometimes.
I have those rubber stall type floor mats.
If they get a little dusty my feet slip under a good arch.
I spray a fine mist with a spray bottle on the floor(not to much) where my feet are planted and it seems to help me with traction.

I keep some extra pieces of the anti-slip mats that are made for holding rugs in place. Super cheap and work great anytime I need to avoid slipping in my workouts. Drop them on the floor where your feet go and they'll feel glued in place as long as any pressure at all is applied.

Non slip shoes may be worth the investment. There are some good ones that are structured just like chucks and very inexpensive. I don’t know about you, but that would be a worry on my mind especially if the sane were to happen on squats.

I'm working on my BP arch, and my Chucks sometimes slip on the DL type rubber mats that are the floor of my basement gym.

Suggestions? New Chucks? Put a sheet of plywood under my power rack? Other shoes?

Thanks in advance.

-S-
Steve, I stand on a 1/4" sheet of heavy rubber laminate inside my rack. I have those heavy rubber textured mats under the weights(outside the rack), that are used in outside playgrounds, They're thicker than a stall mat. Luckily I worked in the rubber industry for several years and we could get "rejects" for a cheap price. If they weren't 1" thick, I'd prefer to stand right on concrete in my Chucks, or use 3/4" plywood to even out the difference. If I'd been able to acquire large 1" playground mats, I'd use it inside and outside the rack. There's no slipping on that or the rubber laminate I use.

I've have a mix of mats and I think the ones from the farm store are more textured, and that means there's less surface to grip - maybe I'll try rearranging and/or replacing one of two of them to see if that helps.

I appreciate all the input, folks.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom