all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Proper Lifting Mechanics

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think that most workers/general pop can't squat that low to begin with, even less to lift a load. That is why the deadlift is a much more versatile way to show how to lift.

A Guide to Manual Handling

Center of Gravity, COG

This is an interesting video.

It demonstrates that in lifting, you need to keep the load, close to the body's Center of Gravity.

The farther away the load is from the body's Center of Gravity, the greater the Torque; which magnifies the weight/load beyond it true load.

"Lift With The Legs"

The video illustrates essentially a Squat movement, more than a Deadlift.

The weight is Squatted off the floor, as with a Trap Bar Deadlift.

Quad Drive is used in the video of this movement, as well as the Trap Bar Deadlift and...

The Sumo Deadlift

This is predominately a Quad Drive movement with some assistance from the lower back.

Biomechanical research (Dr Tom McLaughlin) determined the muscle firing sequence in a Sumo Deadlift is...

Legs > Back

Conventional Deadlift

The Conventional Deadlift falls into two categories...

1) Olympic Lift Conventional Deadlift

In this movement, "Lift with the Legs"; is correct for the First Pull.

The legs drive the weight up to the knee area.

This ensures the lower back is correctly positioned for the Second Pull.

With that said, the Olympic Lift Conventional, "Lift with the Legs" isn't effective for

2) Max Deadlifts

Research (McLaughlin) determined that the majority of Powerlifting Deadlifters break the weight off the floor with the lower back.

The muscle firing sequence is...

Back > Legs > Back.

The Back initiates the drive off the floor with some assistance from the legs.

The load is then shifted more to Leg Drive.

Once above the knees, the Back finished the top end part of the Deadlift.

Upper Back Rounding

Some Upper Back Rounding is natural with the majority of most Conventional Deadlifters.

Upper Back Rounding is not an issue. Lower Back rounding is a major issue.

Research by Dr Bret Contreras demonstrated that one of the primary benefits of Upper Back Rounding in the knee area is it position the bar closer to the body's Center of Gravity.

Doing so, ensure there is less Torque on the lower back; since the bar is kept as close to your body's Center of Gravity.

Summary

The primary objective in moving more weight and ensuring less stress is place on any muscle group is to minimize Torque.

That means "Lift With The Legs" is pertinent in some situations/movements and not so in others.

With every rule, there are some exceptions.

Last edited:
Center of Gravity, COG

This is an interesting video.

It demonstrates that in lifting, you need to keep the load, close to the body's Center of Gravity.

The farther away the load is from the body's Center of Gravity, the greater the Torque; which magnifies the weight/load beyond it true load.
This was the part that made me want to post the video.

This was the part that made me want to post the video.

I like and am keeping the video.

I appreciate you posting it. It indirectly demonstrate the need for keeping the bar in as close as you can to your body's Center of Gravity.

The "Lift with your Legs" is a good general statement.

However, the issue is that it continues to promote the misconception in a Conventional Deadlift, that you need to "Drive your feet through the floor", essentially "Leg Press" the weight off the floor in all Deadlifts; which is a contraindicaion (based on research) for the majority of Conventional Powerlifting Deadlifters.

With that said, there are some benefits to...

Increasing Torque In A Movement

It allows you to increase the resistance without increasing the load/weight.

Examples

Good Mornings: The movement patter of it is similar to a Deadlift.

Both are Ascending Strength Movements: Hard at the bottom of the movement and easier at the top of the movement.

With the Good Morning, leaning forward increases the Torque.

This allows you to increase the resistance without having to increase the load/weight.

The same applies to the Back Raise/Hip Extension.

Personal Perspective

What I determined, years ago, was that Heavy Good Mornings allowed me to train my Deadlift without beating my lower back up; which Heavy Deadlifts did.

One of item that McLaughlin noted in his Deadlift research is the back is quickly and easily overtrained.

No Clue

When ask why Heavy Good Mornings don't overtrain my lower back, my reply is, "Good question. I have no clue. All I can tell you is that it works."

Ironically, a lot of research on training, medicine, etc often states the same thing. It works but we don't know exactly why. Then many article go into speculation as to why they thing it might; which amount to guessing.

TRX Straps

TRX Strap Resistance Training enables individual to increase or decrease the resistance of an exercise by increasing the Torque.

This article provide an interesting perspective on...

A New Angle on Cable Training

Take a look at what happens to the load as the movement progresses, and the ends of the rope are gradually split apart.

artGraphic3.jpg
artGraphic4.jpg

As you can clearly see from the above example, the force increases as the rope is gradually spread apart. At 30 degrees, it took an extra pound of force from each side. So now it takes fifty-two pounds of effort to move that fifty pounds. At 60 degrees of spread, it took four pounds of additional force from each side. Meaning it takes fifty-eight pounds of force to move the fifty pounds.

At 90 degrees, fifty pounds now feels like seventy pounds
. ...Finally, at 120 degrees of spread... You're now exerting a hundred pounds of total force; twice as much as what's on the weight stack.

Take Home Message

For individuals interested in working the Triceps at the end of the range of the movement, use a rope that allows you to spread it farther apart

All Hip Extensions Are Not Created Equal

This is example on how to increase Deadlift Strength with Auxiliary Exercises in specific areas.

1) Good Mornings: The loading Torque is the greatest in the bottom part of the movement. This movement builds Strength in the bottom position of the Deadlift.

2) 45 Degree Back/Hip Extension:
The loading Torque is the greatest in the middle part of the movement. It increases Strength in the knee area of the Deadlift.

3) 90 Degree Back/Hip Extension:
The loading Torque is the greatest a the top end of the movement. It increases Strength in the in the top part/lockout of the Deadlift.

Summary

Torque isn't necessarily bad.

Torque can be used and an effective training tool, if used correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom