all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Russian Bear - Some Questions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

erwin

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

I have read about the Russian bear and would like to do the program.
But before I do so, I have the following questions:

-) What exercise can I do? In the book it is recommended to do the deadlift and the press. It also says the more tension is applied the better the exercise. So what is it about Squat, Dips, Pull ups?

-) How often should/ can I workout per week? In the book is something said about 1 time per week per exercise or 3 times a week per exercise.

-) Is it better to do 2 exercises in a row and workout 3 times per week or is it better to do 1 exercises per day and workout 6 times a week?

Goal is to get stronger and build more muscles.

thx guys.

All the best
erwin

erwin, I don't have the links, but Pavel has posted that if you want to do the Russian Bear from the book, DL 1 time and BP 2 times each week. He told one poster who wanted to do squats also that squat 1 time, deadlift 1 time in a week would be OK.

I think the consensus of those who have run this program are that you should be fairly strong already, certainly very proficient at the lifts.

Thank you Steve for the answer.
Do you mean this topic:
Russian Bear

I dont have a weight bench at home, can I do other exercises like dips?

What do you think about this plan:

Mo: DL, OHP
Tue: off
Wed: Squat, Dips
Thu: off
Fr: DL, OHP
Sa: off
...and so on..

or should i do this:
Mo: DL
Tue: OHP
Wed: Squat
Thu: Dips
Fr: DL
Sa: OHP
...and so on..

I think I have read that Pavel recommends the the 2nd option because if you do 2 exercises in a row, the 2nd one would be influnced by the first one.

Can I somehow integrade Pull ups in this plan?

erwin, even earlier writing by Pavel was much looser about exercise selection, and even weights used. The Bear had to be more specific because it was in a book. So yes you can use other exercises. My advice is that you trust Pavel though and not try to do SQ or DL 2 times a week. Do each once. Also suggest you limit your training to 4 days a week if using the high volumes of Bear. You haven't already demonstrated that you grow muscle easily, and few people succeed on 5 days a week to actually grow. So maybe M: DL, Tue Dips, Thu SQ, F pullups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom