all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hybrid Programs?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I know this probably sounds arrogant; programs such as Simple & Sinister, Rite of Passage, Quick and the Dead etc, have been developed by elite professionals with many years experience teaching and training at the highest level. But has anyone here mixed and matched different parts of programs to create a personalised training method? I know at least one member who ran ROP and performed the Ladders exactly as written in the book. But instead of using the Dice Method for Swings, he simply did the 10 x 10 from Simple and Sinister.

I can‘t point you to any specific examples from others but I read about many people here that kluge together elements from various programmes, or run programmes concurrently. Happens all the time. I have mixed and matched elements of S&S , NW, and FPP with reasonable results.

Mixing rop ladders and things like q&d/s&s swings is pretty common and brings good results when done correctly.

Easy strength paired with double bell complexes

Easy strength or GTG paired with S and S

I've done these..

The idea is this: what is the priority? That takes the most attention

Everything else is merely practiced as to not let the skill dull...

Hello,

I did S&S with GTG, RoP with S&S swing portion, ladders of NW with S&S swing portion, with results that reached my expectations.

As @Mark Limbaga already said, this is a matter of priority.

One has first to pick a goal, then the tool(s) to reach it, then using the tool(s) (and possibly reassess them if not appropriate).

Eventually, a good programme is a programme that makes us reach our goal, while considering our constraints (schedule, recovery, training and injury history, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@NormanOsborn I'm very cautious about changing programs other folks wrote, especially if I haven't done it "as written." However, I think programs can be dissected and changed, or at least used as "inspiration" for something you want to try. I have done "growing ladders" with bent press paired with A&A style swings and snatches; while I wouldn't say I "did" ROP, I very much enjoyed it. Ladders for grinds are pretty classic, and at this point 10x10 swings is getting pretty classic for ballistic, so pairing the two makes sense. So what you're saying sounds good, I just wouldn't say I was "doing" either ROP or S&S.

Take a look at the sections from various programs and what training response they are intended to elicit. Blend or swap elements and figure out if you can recover from whatever changes you've made based on personal experience.

While I have taken strategies from various programs I have never followed a pre-written program in my life aside from what came with my older brother's Bullworker. That was a long time ago.

Pretty much all my programming, currently and historically (late teens to currently age 55), is modifcations of programs, and/or combinations/remixes of elements from different programs.

I do this based on my goals, schedule, and just personal preferences (I don't anticipate ever doing another get up ever again for the rest of my life).

It's quicker to name some programs that I've actually done strictly by the book for the duration of the program (for programs with a specific duration) or for an extended period of time (for more open-ended programs):
--Johnny Parker's Ultimate Weight Training Program
--PTTP
--Kettlebell Muscle
--VWC 15:15 protocol
--Fighter Pullup Program 3RM (w/weighted pullups)

...and, to the best of my recollection, I think that may be it.

Last edited:
I know this probably sounds arrogant; programs such as Simple & Sinister, Rite of Passage, Quick and the Dead etc, have been developed by elite professionals with many years experience teaching and training at the highest level. But has anyone here mixed and matched different parts of programs to create a personalised training method? I know at least one member who ran ROP and performed the Ladders exactly as written in the book. But instead of using the Dice Method for Swings, he simply did the 10 x 10 from Simple and Sinister.

I haven’t followed a program as originally written in a very long time (maybe twenty years).

This is interesting to me as I'm the complete opposite by nature - I'm very regimented and even a bit OCD.

I did S&S and S&S 2.0 strictly "by the book" for many, many months, and am now entering my fifth week of Q&D (which I absolutely love).

I've always been a "just do this" sort of person when it comes to training plans.

@Steve Freides has states occasionaly that he likes to combine the main dish from a program with other programming options, for example the DLs from PTTP, the swings from S&S, or the C&P ladders from RoP.

@Steve Freides has states occasionaly that he likes to combine the main dish from a program with other programming options, for example the DLs from PTTP, the swings from S&S, or the C&P ladders from RoP.
True. I am not Pavel, but I feel I have a reasonable understanding of some of his programs. My versions likely aren’t as good but they have worked well enough for me, e.g., using the kettlebell military press instead of the barbell side press in PTTP is still pretty close to the original in spirit.

-S-

I love mixing programs, its a lot of fun. It puts to test how much you understood the concepts of the program, and it takes some immagination as well.

The beginning of the year, I mixed Q&D snatches 044 with a GTG push up program by @mprevost. At the end of it, I did a modified version of @Al Ciampa dead marches, done in GTG fashion. I completed the period with a successfull snatch test with the 24 (not easy for me) and took my push ups from 15 to 40. I was very pleased with the results.

I am now doing Naked Warrior to achieve the OAPU and pistol, in GTG fashion as prescribed. For the conditioning, I´m doing ballistics every other day. I´m cycling 2 sessions: One day I do 10x10 1HS ala S&S, and the next time I do 20x5 double high pulls or double cleans. I added these because I wanted some bent arm pulling. The summer is coming. Lets see where it takes me.

Personally, I think you must mix, match and adapt programmes to suit yourself. We are all different - age, structure, injuries, recovery time. I have been a great follower of Pavel and StrongFirst for many years and an SFG1 but, although I believe in the principles of the system I have not found that the specific programmes work for me for a multitude of reasons. So I stick to the general principles from which I construct my own programmes. Sacrilege I know!

I've mixed "programming" but not "programs". To me, a program is something with a begin and end point that expects a result at the end (Dan John calls "bus bench"). Programming is a training design without a definite end point (Dan John calls "park bench"). A program deserves dedicated attention, although sometimes additional activity or even "programming" can run concurrently.

Interesting to note that S&S can be run as either one.

As a non-minimalist GPP middle age fitness hobby-ist (is that a word?), I've flirted with using ladders as the (not quite) max effort portion and Q&D as dynamic effort portion of a conjugate setup. Maybe that's not hybrid in this sense of the discussion though.

Hey!

I've been doing S&S for the better part of 1 month now, and in doing it I've added 25 dips with my dip bars in between my swings (two sets of 10 swings, 5 dips, repeat 'till 100 swings)

In addition to that, my brother, who was in the Air Force, taught me a little sit-up routine that he learned from one of his officers that I finish my daily routines with:

-15 leg lifts w/ 20 or 25 lb. Kettlebell
-20 side sit-ups (right leg over left leg, left elbow to right knee, both sides)
-Cross-leg leg lifts

Since both workouts really aren't time consuming and pretty low-impact on my body, I think they've been great add-ons!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom