all posts post new thread

Barbell Lumbar Training, Rounding The Lower Back

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Lumbar Training

Below is some interesting information Lumbar Training that I never considered.

Powerlifting makes your muscles stronger - but not the muscles in your lower back

Powerlifters squat and dead lift with considerable weights, but this does not make the muscles in their lower back any stronger. British sports scientists at Southampton Solent University discovered this. Yet we know from experimental studies [PeerJ. 2015;3:e878.] that the development of those muscles counteracts lower back complaints. Should powerlifters who want to protect their lower back include hyper-extensions in their training routines?

Results
In their lab, the researchers used a device like the one below to determine how strong the lower back muscles of the men were. Although the powerlifters were more muscular and stronger across the board than the other men, there was no difference between the strength that the three groups could develop.

Side Not and Post

Below is a picture of the ILEX Machine that is designed to work the Lumbar. It is used in some Physical Therapy program to strengthen this area.

ILEX strength = isolated lumbar extension strength.

Powerlifting makes your muscles stronger - but not the muscles in your lower back

Core Lumbar Strength Machine Demo

This a video demonstrations of the ILEX.

Barbell Isolated Lumbar Extension

This a video demonstrations the free weight way of working the Lumbar.

Article Conclusion

"...Powerlifters may benefit from including specific isolated lumbar extension training."

Source

Here some more information from this specific research article on Lumbar Training

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

There is currently little evidence showing that progressively increasing strength in the powerlifts, especially the squat and deadlift, will increase lumbar extensor strength. Furthermore, research suggests that most forms of training that do not restrain the pelvis likely are suboptimal for conditioning the lumbar extensors. As such, although effective in developing strength in the specific lifts, coaches and exercise professionals should at present not prescribe nor promote the squat and deadlift, as well as their derivatives, as effective exercises to strengthen the lumbar extensors. It is unclear the exact impact that specifically training the lumbar extensors has on powerlifting performance itself. However, if a goal is to specifically target and attempt to strengthen the lumbar extensors, powerlifters may benefit from including specific ILEX training. Powerlifters may also benefit from including kettlebell swings to their training, but further research is required to properly understand the effect kettlebell swings may have on lumbar extensor strength.

Let's break this down some more.

For a muscle to be worked, it needs to be flexed and then contracted. The ILEX Machine provide more isolation on working the Lumbar Spine that allows it to flex (round) and then contract (straighten).

Controversial Lumbar Exercises

I realize these are controversial exercise. However, they appear to engage and work the Lumbar Muscle to some degree.

With that in mind, if someone has back issues, they might not be something to consider. They are exercise that you need to go slow with, starting out with very light loads. And as the saying goes, "If it hurts, don't do it".

With that said, it appears these lower back rounding type free weight exercise may be beneficial for Lumbar heath and strength. Exercises like Round Back Stiff Leg Deadlifts (slight beak in the knees), Deficit Deadlifts standing on something like a coke crate (the lower position usually require some back rounding to break the weight off the floor), Good Mornings with some Thoracic (Upper) Back rounding (some Lumbar rounding is going to happen), Rounded Back/Hip Extension Raises, Deficit Straddle Squats with a Kettlebell, T-Bell or Hungarian Core Blaster (some lower back rounding may occur in the bottom part of the movement, as Deficit Deadlifts); which happens with me.

Last edited:
Powerlifters squat and dead lift with considerable weights, but this does not make the muscles in their lower back any stronger.

Hmm... I think I disagree with that statement.

IMO, deliberately contracting the lumbar extensors when deadlifting, squatting, Olympic Lifting, etc. makes them stronger. Not everyone does this, particularly powerlifters, but I think they can and should.

@Anna C. I agree with you in part. I think as far as avoiding flexion in the spine, squatting and deadlifting will absolutely build this capacity. They are both exercises in extension and your best bet is to keep the lumbar spine extended.

However, what @kennycro@@aol.com is pointing to is the lack of transfer over from these extension based movements, squats and deads, to movements that actually take the back from flexion to extension. Essentially, a power lifter will do everything in his/her power to avoid flexion under heavy load, thus the back works statically, as it does not go from round to arched. In earlier times, it was not uncommon for more round back lifts such as stiff leg deadlifts, round back good mornings and the likes to be trained to specifically hit this function of the erectors. These exercises, however, have a higher propensity for injury, specifically disc herniatons, if the load is too great thus starting light (and perhaps staying light forever and away from failure) are greatly suggested.

Powerlifting can certainly strengthen the ability to resist flexion but may not always be a good thing. Your spine should be able to flex as well as extend and powerlifting can certainly tighten and stiffen the erectors.

I prefer, as opposed to greatly loaded movements, such exercises that allow this function but with more of a loosening effect suck as Tommy Kono’s loosening DL or the Russian hockey deadlift. Loosening deadlift uses 30 % of your best clean (an empty bar will do usually) and you stand on a box like your at the top of a deadlift and slowly unravel your spine from the thoracic region until the bar is below your feet then slowly rise again, simple reversing the action. The Russian hockey DL is just a deadlift where the kettlebell begins outside your feet and is lifted and rotated to the other side.

I feel these two work the flexion movements just fine with low loads while restoring that gap that extension based only movements may leave out. They make for good “chaos” fillers, if you become rounded under heavy weight by some chance, you’ll have a better chance of survival. If one needed do flexion based strength training specifically (wrestler’s, fire fighters, EMT’s or people who lift people) then a look at Kenny’s post would help. I’d personally do sand bag or Zercher deads, though in the latter, an extended lower back is still recommended.

Tommy Kono’s loosening DL or the Russian hockey deadlift. Loosening deadlift uses 30 % of your best clean (an empty bar will do usually) and you stand on a box like your at the top of a deadlift and slowly unravel your spine from the thoracic region until the bar is below your feet then slowly rise again

Tommy Kono Deadlift

I was not familiar it. So, I looked it up; article above, pictures below.

1606577423380.png1606577948712.png

It reminds me of Roger Benjamin's...

Hospital Rep Deadlifts
1606577603316.png

However, what @kennycro@@aol.com is pointing to is the lack of transfer over from these extension based movements, squats and deads, to movements that actually take the back from flexion to extension. Essentially, a power lifter will do everything in his/her power to avoid flexion under heavy load, thus the back works statically, as it does not go from round to arched.

Good point. I suppose in that way it's similar to abdominal strengthening. The abs may get really strong from isometrically contracting to stabilize the torso for heavy lifting. But they don't get very strong for actually shortening to move the body in something like a hanging leg raise (HLR) or ab-wheel roll-outs.

What an amazing feat since weightlifting is over 70 years older as a sport, than powerlifting. Probably most powerlifting pioneers, Simmons included, was originally a weightlifter.

Well the westside method is pretty much a replication of soviet weightlifting methods for powerlifting. Including the maximised training approach.

This may be of interest: https://vahvafitness.com/back-pain-exercise-home/
The exercise described there can also be done in a similar position as the one in seated rows, using a pulley or, like I have done, with a light exercise band for long reps.

Another version of what I have just described is the Barbell isolated lumbar extension in the vid above. A round back seated deadlift, with a very light weight.

@kennycro@@aol.com, I question what seems like the underlying assumption, that we can measure the strength of every or any muscle in a meaningful way. The lumbar spine's job is mostly stability (read: resisting movement), not movement, in the deadlift. What the lumbar spine can move may be interesting but it's not something that, at least for this competing deadlifter with a history of a bad back, is relevant to either my life or my lifting. I also want to note that, again speaking for myself, no form of active lumbar extension - reverse hypers, supermans, etc. - has ever done anything for me except make my lower back worse.

-S-

@kennycro@@aol.com, I question what seems like the underlying assumption, that we can measure the strength of every or any muscle in a meaningful way. The lumbar spine's job is mostly stability (read: resisting movement), not movement, in the deadlift. What the lumbar spine can move may be interesting but it's not something that, at least for this competing deadlifter with a history of a bad back, is relevant to either my life or my lifting. I also want to note that, again speaking for myself, no form of active lumbar extension - reverse hypers, supermans, etc. - has ever done anything for me except make my lower back worse.

-S-

I can't find it, but at some point Stuart McGill said powerlifters shouldn't really practice forward folds / lower back bends as an exercise as it delaminates the lower back and reduces their ability to deadlift safely.

He said save the bends for tying your shoes.

Unfortunately, the Reverse Hyper isn't available at most gyms.
We do these in the calisthenics world. You can add weight with ankle weights or by holding a dumbbell between your knees or something. I would emphasize that a long range of motion where the lumbar is allowed to flex a little at the bottom of the motion is important.

I can't find it, but at some point Stuart McGill said powerlifters shouldn't really practice forward folds / lower back bends as an exercise as it delaminates the lower back and reduces their ability to deadlift safely.
I believe he mentioned it in one of the SF podcasts. It's a good point, and I wonder if it may relate to the SAID prinicple. The more specialized you get (read: wanting to deadlift a lot of weight), the more it may serve one to avoid certain things?

Edit: I do think, though, that if that's the case, then it's not worth it for me to be able to deadlift a lot if it comes at the cost of mobility.

Edit: I do think, though, that if that's the case, then it's not worth it for me to be able to deadlift a lot if it comes at the cost of mobility.

Yeah, I'm that camp.

These days, I keep my deadlift at about 125% of my clean pull, and that's all I need.

And I can still touch my toes and do yoga forward folds.

(my pancake sucks, though)

I've never thought of trying bodyweight hypers on a plyo box. I'll have to try that. I had been doing them off my wooden deck and it was not comfortable at all.

Last edited:
IMG_20191106_181707_680.jpg
For the required range of motion something more complex was needed. This is problematic if you have to put many plates, the COG rises higher. And the swing forward is less effective also

View attachment 12011
For the required range of motion something more complex was needed. This is problematic if you have to put many plates, the COG rises higher. And the swing forward is less effective also

I had to look at this for a few minutes to even possibly guess what was going on.

Do you lie across the pad and put the chain between your legs?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom