all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Yoga mats for TGU?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Marble floor and yoga mat is what my situation was for months until recently...

It won't be as ideal as having half or inch thick mats but if you want to know how it can be done, do let me know and I'll be happy to help you through

I use a couple of Airex work out mats placed in a T formation to dbl up cushion on lunge position. They are placed over fake bamboo vinyl flooring and will stay in place reasonably well if I don't drag my foot on the sweep.

I started out with an extra large Yoga mat and had no problem with slipping or tripping. Now I train on 2 square meter puzzle mats that work even better. But the main difference is that I have more space in general. Training the TGU in a cramped space like I did is probably not that smart.

Is there any benefit in doing Get Ups on a Yoga mat as opposed to, say, a carpet?
Yoga mats didn't work for me, but the puzzle mat we bought for our toddler was a game changer (we have hardwood floor). The EVA material is great. 1.2 cm padding makes it so much more knee friendly.

I am actually buying another mat for training purposes. However, I only need one single puzzle piece. I actually lie down right next to it on the hard floor, and put the mat (or sometimes a folded towel) below the armpit and arm of the supporting (non-KB) arm. This way my elbow is cushioned and, if I am precise in my movement, also the supporting knee.

I actually lie down right next to it on the hard floor, and put the mat (or sometimes a folded towel) below the armpit and arm of the supporting (non-KB) arm. This way my elbow is cushioned and, if I am precise in my movement
This is exactly how I did getups for years in a tiny office at work with a yoga mat. It's not ideal but it works fine as long as you're fully aware that it may move on you or lift a little.

As mentioned above, interlocking foam mats would probably be the best.
Having said that, i'm in a yoga mat on a carpet situation. I've tried a cheap 3mm yoga mat and it's sticky and way too thin for get ups. It's worth getting a much thicker mat for get ups to save your knee, as well as be able to rotate your knee without the mat rotating with it

I used a larger gym equipment mat. As long as all of my limbs were within the area of the mat, I didn't feel at all unstable or at any risk of slipping and it was easy to clean after a sweaty session.

My floors are hardwood, and the extra thick yoga mats I use have done a wonderful job of protecting the floor when the bell makes the occasional thud when being set down. The important thing is to get used to the nuances of the mats you are using before you rely on them for your heaviest get ups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom