all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Returning to the fold

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fossil

Level 4 Valued Member
I've had some issues with depression ,massive weight gain (can't run without a sports bra ) and just not taking care of myself . However that's behind me know I'm still medicated but I'm now motivated to get myself back into shape
I'm medically fit to exercise ,so daily S&S ,some extra mobility particularly hips and lower back finally getting the dogs out for an extra walk
That's my starting point any advice would be gratefully received
Cheers

@Fossil, some more background would be helpful. Sports history, injury history to start with.

For anyone very overweight, my usual recommendation is to start a walking program and be extra mindful of diet. If those two things go well, you'll start dropping weight, and from there, the kettlebell deadlift as shown in Kettlebell Simple and Sinister would be the next thing to do. If you're already past these points and can do S&S, then by all means post a video of your swing and your getup and we can offer feedback.

Don't forget that, even in these pandemic times, you can use our instructor search to find someone to work with you online - maybe a one-on-one trainer helps you at this point.

-S-

People are having a lot of success with weight loss and depression using a Keto/carnivore diet fwiw. Dr. Ken Berry on Youtube has some videos addressing it.

Listen to steve! Walking is really helpful for everything
Depression is a difficult beast to tackle (experience through a close family member and it is no joke!)

If you allow me to give some advice, don’t fall into the trap of too soon too much as that might fuel a further bout!
Take it slow, built on minutely small steps, if in doubt go outdoors and walk until it feels better!

Thanks to all of you to provide a bit more background. I'm 50 years old any sporting activity has revolved around boxing ,kick boxing etc. But nothing for many years
I have a lot of wear and tear duty career in corrections then as an LEO . Knees lower back and my right shoulder are a wee bit stiff but still functional . I have managed to lose a lot of weight to a point that I can get off the floor without a crane . Following Steve's advice i have contacted an SF trainer

Listen to steve! Walking is really helpful for everything
Depression is a difficult beast to tackle (experience through a close family member and it is no joke!)

If you allow me to give some advice, don’t fall into the trap of too soon too much as that might fuel a further bout!
Take it slow, built on minutely small steps, if in doubt go outdoors and walk until it feels better!
Thanks Claude but that's lesson I've learned ,took me a good while to get back on an even keel

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom