all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Looking for criticism of my kettlebell program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kongstrong

First Post
Hello friends of the iron bells,

my name is Thomas aka Kongstrong and for round about one year I am training with Kettlebells. Actually I’ve planned to attend a course by Strongfirst in Germany but... you know, the pandemic prevents it. Next year! That’s why I have to look forward by myself and with the help of the internet and communities like here. I’ve already read Simple & Sinister and I started to read The Q&D and thanks to @Harald Motz, who I follow on Instagram, I have learned a little bit about the Idea of A+A training although I do not really understand it completely yet.
My training plan looks like this and I would appreciate ideas and notes for further development

I am a healthy adult male, 33 years old. My height is 5″9 and weight is 160lb. I eat a healthy diet, and drink only one glass of alcohol (wine) a week.
injury history: 5 years ago, with little training experience, I did a "push-up challenge" and the morning after I had a strange pain in my shoulder. After months I found out through an MRT that it was an subacromial impingement. But thanks to Turkish get ups I have the impingement well under control. Today I only notice it when I have a bad posture for a long time, e.g. sitting for a long time. Fun fact: Tukish get ups helped me to fix the problem but intimidating exercises with rubber bands (external rotation) didn’t. Magic!

- movement history: Besides my former impingement I have limited range of Motion with my hamstrings. Iam working on it but I hate it.

- sports/competition history: I am a former marathon runner. My goal is at least the SFG1. Hope you guys can support me with this goal.

My training shedule looks like the following, 6 days a week, except Sundays were I take a day of for regeneration

Monday:
- 20x5 Snatches A+A training 24kg
- 4x10 One Handed Kettlebell Deadlift 40Kg
- 3x20 Dumbbellpresses on the floor (17Kg)
-3x20 Push ups on bars
-Core : Ab Roller, Russian Twists 5x

Tuesday:
  • 20x7 Kettlebell Swing A+A 32KG
    • 3x (L+R) Turkish Get Up 32KG
  • 3x10 (Prying Goblet Squat) with 20 Pound weight west + 32KG Kettlebell
  • 3x10 Trizeps presses 20Kg
  • Diamond Push Ups on Bars
  • 3x 10 Bizeps Curls

Wednesday:
”simple”

- 5 Minute: EMOM (every minute on the minute) 10/10 One-Hand Swings 32KG
- 1 Minute: PAUSE
- 10 Minutes: EMOM 10x TGU L+R
- Farmers Walks 5x with 40kg and 32KG kettlebell per arm

Thursday:

- 15x 7 Snatches A+A Training 24Kg
- 5x pull ups
- Kettlebell Press 20x5 A&A 24Kg
- 3x10 Bottoms Up Press 12Kg
- Core: Ab Roller, Russian Twist 5x

Friday:
-15x5 Kettlebell Swing A+A 32KG
-3x (L+R) Turkish Get Up 32KG
-3x12 One Handed Kettlebell Deadlift 40Kg
-3x20 Push ups on bars

Saturday:
“simple “
5 Minute: EMOM (every minute on the minute) 10/10 One-Hand Swings 32KG
- 10 Minutes: EMOM 10 TGU L+r 32KG
- 5x Pull Ups
-3x10 (Prying Goblet Squats 32 Kg + 20 Pound Weight West

You can see that Iam doing twice a week the “simple” Programm from Pavels Simple and Sinister. 1. Is it too much?
2. Do I have to add something?
3. Is it a problem to mix the “simple” Programm like me?
4. Is important to me to get REALLY STRONG but also to build muscle, just for aesthetics on the beach :D

Any recommendations?

Thank you

Thomas

If I read it right, your goal is the SFG??

Have you reached out to an SFG instructor to help you in attaining that goal??

I'd also look at doing less overall workload initially and use the extra time to recover

Last edited:
Yes, my longtherm goal ist the SFG1. But because of the pandemic it’s postponed to mid next year. More time to recover? Is one day of not enough?

I agree with @Mark Limbaga, looks like a bit much! Remember you don't get stronger when you're lifting/training, you get stronger when you RECOVER from lifting/training.

I wrote and article which included an SFG prep program -- The article is 5 years old now and there are many options for prep and you could still use your own program, but this may give you some ideas on overall load and focus. How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I | StrongFirst

Good luck and keep us posted! SFG I is a great goal to aim for.

Hello friends of the iron bells,

my name is Thomas aka Kongstrong and for round about one year I am training with Kettlebells. Actually I’ve planned to attend a course by Strongfirst in Germany but... you know, the pandemic prevents it. Next year! That’s why I have to look forward by myself and with the help of the internet and communities like here. I’ve already read Simple & Sinister and I started to read The Q&D and thanks to @Harald Motz, who I follow on Instagram, I have learned a little bit about the Idea of A+A training although I do not really understand it completely yet.
My training plan looks like this and I would appreciate ideas and notes for further development

I am a healthy adult male, 33 years old. My height is 5″9 and weight is 160lb. I eat a healthy diet, and drink only one glass of alcohol (wine) a week.
injury history: 5 years ago, with little training experience, I did a "push-up challenge" and the morning after I had a strange pain in my shoulder. After months I found out through an MRT that it was an subacromial impingement. But thanks to Turkish get ups I have the impingement well under control. Today I only notice it when I have a bad posture for a long time, e.g. sitting for a long time. Fun fact: Tukish get ups helped me to fix the problem but intimidating exercises with rubber bands (external rotation) didn’t. Magic!

- movement history: Besides my former impingement I have limited range of Motion with my hamstrings. Iam working on it but I hate it.

- sports/competition history: I am a former marathon runner. My goal is at least the SFG1. Hope you guys can support me with this goal.

My training shedule looks like the following, 6 days a week, except Sundays were I take a day of for regeneration

Monday:
- 20x5 Snatches A+A training 24kg
- 4x10 One Handed Kettlebell Deadlift 40Kg
-3x20 Push ups on bars
-Core : Ab Roller, Russian Twists 5x

Tuesday:
  • 20x7 Kettlebell Swing A+A 32KG
    • 3x (L+R) Turkish Get Up 32KG
  • 3x10 (Prying Goblet Squat) with 20 Pound weight west + 32KG Kettlebell
  • 3x10 Trizeps presses 20Kg
  • Diamond Push Ups on Bars
  • 3x 10 Bizeps Curls

Wednesday:
”simple”

- 5 Minute: EMOM (every minute on the minute) 10/10 One-Hand Swings 32KG
- 10 Minutes: EMOM 10x TGU L+R

Thursday:

- 15x 7 Snatches A+A Training 24Kg
- 5x pull ups
- Kettlebell Press 20x5 A&A 24Kg
- 3x10 Bottoms Up Press 12Kg
- Core: Ab Roller, Russian Twist 5x

Friday:
-15x5 Kettlebell Swing A+A 32KG
-3x (L+R) Turkish Get Up 32KG
-3x12 One Handed Kettlebell Deadlift 40Kg
-3x20 Push ups on bars

Saturday:
“simple “
5 Minute: EMOM (every minute on the minute) 10/10 One-Hand Swings 32KG
- 10 Minutes: EMOM 10 TGU L+r 32KG
- 5x Pull Ups
-3x10 (Prying Goblet Squats 32 Kg + 20 Pound Weight West

You can see that Iam doing twice a week the “simple” Programm from Pavels Simple and Sinister. 1. Is it too much?
2. Do I have to add something?
3. Is it a problem to mix the “simple” Programm like me?
4. Is important to me to get REALLY STRONG but also to build muscle, just for aesthetics on the beach :D

Any recommendations?

Thank you

Thomas

One thing I always think about when reviewing any programming, including for myself, is:

What's the progression plan?

For example:

If your heaviest bell is 40 kg, you're probably going to find suitcase carries / farmer walks to be trivially easy within about 2 weeks (loaded carries progress quickly).

What are your progression plans when 40 kg becomes an easy carry?

Also, I think you have a few things that are duplicative -- having a farmer's walk and a deadlift of the same weight on the same day is going to have a lot of overlap. And one of them will be easier than the other.

one day may be enough, or it may not.. When in doubt, I would err on the conservative side..

And despite the postponement of events, it's never a bad idea to build up to getting stronger. As I have mentioned in the article @Anna C wrote "you'll have more fun if you're prepared for the SFG weekend"

You've trained with kettlebells for a year? How much in general before that? Are you sure you're not best off leaving the programming to people with more experience, like Pavel, who has written plenty on it?

If you go on your own, I second @watchnerd , take care you have a good progression plan built into the program.

I take it that you are in Europe. Where are you? Is there an SFG near you? I recently spent six months in Germany and participated in two of @SvenRieger 's events in Stuttgart. Believe me, if you are planning to earn your SFG in Stuttgart you will be amazed at the participation and everyone's love for Strongfirst.

Back to my earlier question, is there an SFG with whom you can practice and who can give you a solid target to ensure you maximize your preparation?

Hello @Kongstrong ,

it´s too bad that we had to reschedule so many of the events planned for Germany this year. But believe me, it´s just a matter of time! We´ll make it happen so that you can attend a course next year!

In the meantime let me know, if I can be of any help. Like @Anna C and @watchnerd said, it´s a nice routine you´re doing, but for something like the SFG1 Certification, you need a little bit more structure to your training.

What is your current goal? That would give us a perspective and might allow us to give you more detailed advices.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom