all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Giant 1.0 Again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Nice!!! I guess your rep-max test put you way above 5 (or you'd be doing 3.0)..... Or you just went for it. Either way, good luck!

I got through Day 1 of Week 2 of 1.0 this morning (also with 36's). They seem more doable than last week, but curious to see how the heavy day on Wednesday goes though. It was a real eye-opener last week...., I was taking ~4m rests.....

@Reardon55 , I'm slowly entering this ground. I got 40 reps today on day 1 and will build from there. I will say this, the high volume work with the 32s for the past 4 months definitely paid off. I did get stronger. The 36s right now are 9 good ones and 1 maybe ugly one. My goal is to make them over a 12 rep max.....patiently!

@John Grahill
You are very strong!
Did you have regular breaks between sets?
Every 3min 45sec was constant?
Have you got as much rest as you need to?

@taro , there were times I did as you suggest, do a set every 3 1/2 minutes for the 30 minutes. Yesterday I think I was at 3 minutes rest or so???

What I have found is that rushing too much in the beginning and really cramming sets ala crossfit kind of makes my form turn to garbage. I'd rather do a bit less with better form. This is more important now that the bells are heavier. @Don Fairbanks said it best, density training is fine as long the reps would be "acceptable" or words to that effect.

Thank you for you compliment but I'm really not that strong at 205 lbs. Plus I'm getting old! I look at @Mark Limbaga, @Steve Freides and guys who are significantly lighter than I am who can move some weight. That's strong! @Karen Smith and @Anna C are super strong gals! They impress me a lot.

Me, I'm just a 56 year old with a tendency to get too heavy if not careful who's trying to stay in shape!

John, you're a semi-mutant. You can be humble, I'll shower your ability with praise!

Agree with you and Don on the density. Especially in early stages. Good form, it's okay to leave some reps in the tank. You'll be glad when you're on week 3 and the numbers start escalating.

Density training is awesome, but one bad rep can make mistakes. Getting 49 reps or 50 is just keeping score. Physically no difference.

@BrianCF you make a great point. Even last year I would have tried to really cram the reps and if I was trying for sets of five in 20 minutes and the clock said only 20 seconds left, I'd push for just 2 more reps. It lead to injuries.

Best to walk away and leave some in the tank for next week's day 1. I dunno if I explained that too well, I'm still having my coffee!

By the way, you sir are the mutant, especially with that last bout of KBM 6 days a week!

@Coyotl , 28s are not lowly at all. Just expect the rapid increases you saw the last time to slow up a bit. However the heavier weight will still give positive results even though the overall volume may be less.

I finished 1.0 last week with my offset 24+16, and I loved it. Saw some *serious* hypertrophy in the upper arms and shoulders (I presume the cleans for the arms? I was also doing Steve Justa's daily singles with deadlift, so that might have added some.) I was going to slide into 1.1, but my holiday + into the new year eating have caught up with me, so I switched over to Dan John's Easy Strength for Fat Loss with (mostly) KBs for the next six weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom