all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "Breakthrough Secrets" Podcast

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
If you haven't found this one yet... highly recommend... It's a great listen and they're having some really awesome guests!

So far I've listened to:

‎The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast: Tim Almond: Balance Is My Mantra on Apple Podcasts

‎Show The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast, Ep Tim Almond: Balance Is My Mantra - Apr 11, 2021
podcasts.apple.com

‎The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast: Brett Jones: Tissue And Strength Adaptation on Apple Podcasts

‎Show The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast, Ep Brett Jones: Tissue And Strength Adaptation - Apr 3, 2021
podcasts.apple.com

‎The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast: Geoff Neupert: Complex, The Ultimate Strength Endurance on Apple Podcasts

‎Show The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast, Ep Geoff Neupert: Complex, The Ultimate Strength Endurance - Apr 10, 2021
podcasts.apple.com

‎The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast: Levi Markwardt: Competing Means Becoming A Better Coach on Apple Podcasts

‎Show The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast, Ep Levi Markwardt: Competing Means Becoming A Better Coach - Apr 3, 2021
podcasts.apple.com

‎The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast: Jeremy Layport: Technique And Timing In Olympic Lifting on Apple Podcasts

‎Show The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast, Ep Jeremy Layport: Technique And Timing In Olympic Lifting - Mar 26, 2021
podcasts.apple.com

With lots more to go... Hector Gutierrez, Karen Smith, Pavel Macek, Sven Rieger, Megan Kelly, Fabio Zonin, Bill Esch, Dan John, Delaine Ross, Analisa Naldi, Mike Sousa, Aleks Salkin, Craig Marker, Dr. Michael Hartle, Derek Toshner, Maggie Burrows, and more.

‎The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast: Mike & Chris: Be The King Of Your Kingdom on Apple Podcasts

‎Show The Breakthrough Secrets Podcast, Ep Mike & Chris: Be The King Of Your Kingdom - Apr 14, 2021
podcasts.apple.com

These links are for Apple Podcasts but you can find it on any Podcast platform. I listen on Pocket Casts.

So less time and so much interesting things to hear. Thanks for the list. Need to work through it from top to the bottom.

I was honored to be a guest on this podcast on an episode we recorded today. Scheduled to air next Monday, 6/7. Keep an eye out for it, if you are a listener!

SO many valuable conversations I've listened to lately... just to name a few... Artemis Scantalides, Mike Sousa, Fionnbharr Toolan, Nick Konow, Greg Everett, Dustin Rippetoe, Paul Tracogna, Bud Jeffries, Dr. Craig Marker, Denis Vasilev, Gray Cook, David Whitley, Megan Kelly, Brian Grasso.... the knowledge is amazing, and the conversations are great. If you can find the time to listen, I highly recommend it.

Looking forward to yours @Anna C !

Here you go, out today... Got in a few mentions for the StrongFirst forum, S&S, SFG, and lots of great people in this community.

Here you go, out today... Got in a few mentions for the StrongFirst forum, S&S, SFG, and lots of great people in this community.

Enjoyed hearing your story, especially the fact that you came to KB relatively "late" and have a desk job. Makes all the rest even more impressive. The role of fitness in recovery from surgery and injury is not mentioned enough. For those who don't have a fitness habit, a serious injury or surgery can derail their life. Interesting how meeting one person like Al Ciampa for you can send a person's life in the right direction.

These guys are doing a great podcast. I like the fact that they are knowledgeable but humble, and not "too" expert. They keep the focus on the guest and don't geek out too much. I think they can reach a wide audience with their outstanding lineup.

Enjoyed hearing your story, especially the fact that you came to KB relatively "late" and have a desk job. Makes all the rest even more impressive. The role of fitness in recovery from surgery and injury is not mentioned enough. For those who don't have a fitness habit, a serious injury or surgery can derail their life. Interesting how meeting one person like Al Ciampa for you can send a person's life in the right direction.
Thank you @guardian7, and indeed I'm sure the fitness helped recovery.

Yes, often times a door will open in life and if you're not paying attention you walk right by it. Al's influence sent me in the right direction because I finally saw that it could, and I let that change what I was doing even though I didn't think what I was doing was lacking. Being able to donate to Dustin, a similarly great and positive direction for my life, similar in that I saw the door open and decided to walk through instead of pass on by. I have another 8 or 10 things like that in my life, all very positive and influential. I wonder if there is a word for that? Dustin has a saying, "See Clearly; Act Courageously." It means see clearly the things you can and cannot control and act courageously upon the best option in front of you. Sometimes the best things are easily missed because you're not looking for them. If you let yourself see, and choose them wisely, they will really positively influence your life and bring unexpected great things.

These guys are doing a great podcast. I like the fact that they are knowledgeable but humble, and not "too" expert. They keep the focus on the guest and don't geek out too much. I think they can reach a wide audience with their outstanding lineup.
I agree, they do an awesome job really listening to the guest, restating, adding value, and helping things flow. I've got a ton of value out of listening to these episodes the past couple of months! Looking forward to more great content ahead.

@Anna C - just listened to your podcast and really enjoyed it :)

This may have been answered before but wondering if you could expand on a comment you made;

“You need to do hard things but you don’t need high intensity”

What does that look like as practical examples for comparison? thank you!

@Anna C - just listened to your podcast and really enjoyed it :)

This may have been answered before but wondering if you could expand on a comment you made;

“You need to do hard things but you don’t need high intensity”

What does that look like as practical examples for comparison? thank you!

Thank you!

In the most common example around here, a challenging Timeless S&S session with full power, full focus and precision, and awesome quality reps with 28 kg would be "hard." A Timed S&S session with "good enough" reps with 24kg would be "high intensity." (That's an example where occasionally, intensity is good. But not every training session).

In other examples, 10 high quality hill sprints in 30 minutes would be "hard." Running as fast as you can around a track for 30 minutes straight would be "high intensity."

In a lunchtime training session, 3 sets of 5 fairly challenging (let's say 80% intensity) squats, presses, and deadlifts would be "hard." 10 sets of 25 wall balls, burpees, kettlebell swings, mountain climbers, and box jumps would be "high intensity."

In a push-up training session, 5 sets of 5 slow, controlled, perfect form push-ups would be "hard." 2 sets of AMRAP would be "high intensity."

I see too many mainstream fitness trainees, which I used to be myself, thinking they just need to do more intensity or more volume. But they don't think they can do the actual hard things that will drive progress. I think those hard things are the things that StrongFirst teaches -- kettlebell, barbell, and bodyweight strength moves that are difficult and challenging and require continued learning and focus.

In other words, "training", not "workout."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom