all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "mobility" theories

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello all, I'm looking for some good, and varied resources on "mobility" training. I use the quotation marks because that word means something different to everyone it seems. In particular I am referencing increasing active range of motion. I already know much of the basics of this, but would like to read others' input and experiences.

Some folks promote the time-tested, "stretch one muscle, strengthen the other method."

Others are not as much fans of stretching muscles to gain mobility. The reasoning being that the body is most "mobile" on its own when it can move itself into the desired position.

Thoughts? Ideas? Resources? Anecdotes?

This channel has a lot of quality info:

He sometimes refers to Thomas Kurz, and Pavel (Relax into Stretch).

Original Strength and Flexible Steel would be good frameworks for a movement/mobility routine.

I also like the soft yoga style by Mike Taylor from Strala Yoga.

All of them have in common that they stress the importance of relaxed, deep breathing.

Hello all, I'm looking for some good, and varied resources on "mobility" training. I use the quotation marks because that word means something different to everyone it seems. In particular I am referencing increasing active range of motion. I already know much of the basics of this, but would like to read others' input and experiences.

Some folks promote the time-tested, "stretch one muscle, strengthen the other method."

Others are not as much fans of stretching muscles to gain mobility. The reasoning being that the body is most "mobile" on its own when it can move itself into the desired position.

I would attend the Flexible Steel certification.

-S-

Daily Original Strength resets for the last eight years has been the foundation for me. I shudder to think how messed up I’d be without it. I even became certified (Level 2 “Pro”) in it even though I am not a trainer. It was worth it to learn more about the neuro-physical connection.

I suspect Flexible Steel is excellent as well, I’m just not familiar with that system.

I don't think this is really what you are looking for, but here are most of the stretches that I do on a fairly regular basis.

I believe that mobility is one of those things that is a 'use it or lose it' thing and there are many ways to use it and build it. People with poor mobility (because of inflexibility, injury, obesity, etc) tend to move less and poorly w. reduced range of motion, AND they avoid moving in ways that require range of motion further exacerbating the mobility limitations - common sense perhaps but it's a very vicious cycle.

I feel like I have alright mobility but I cannot do the QL stretch to save my life haha. I do OS resets and leopard crawls before all workouts. My bad knee prevents me from doing some of the rocking stuff properly on one side, but I still do it pre workout as well.

I cannot do the QL stretch to save my life haha
You might be missing the magic ingredient on this one.... TIME. Give it more than 30 seconds. Give it a full 2 minutes, breathing with long exhales, and see if that helps. For me it's amazing the difference it makes. I can be practically vertical in the torso and feel like I can go no further, but if I give it time, I'll be leaning way over and touching my foot with the opposite hand.

I don't think this is really what you are looking for, but here are most of the stretches that I do on a fairly regular basis.

I believe that mobility is one of those things that is a 'use it or lose it' thing and there are many ways to use it and build it. People with poor mobility (because of inflexibility, injury, obesity, etc) tend to move less and poorly w. reduced range of motion, AND they avoid moving in ways that require range of motion further exacerbating the mobility limitations - common sense perhaps but it's a very vicious cycle.

Those are all great! And nice commentary. I think I do almost all of those at times. 2:55 and 4:10 were both given to me recently in physical therapy for my shoulder. Supposedly both are good for the rotator cuff muscles.

Mark Wildman has a bunch of cooldown stretches on his youtube that I've found really useful. Also he emphasises what Anna C says above - time, more time in each stretch!

Thanks for adding to the discussion everyone. I have read farther into some biomechanics stuff and gleaned new information from new sources, and have updated my views on "mobility" since I originally posted this thread.

I currently think of "mobility" as "move-ability," that is, the ability to move. I think of this now as how far one can move a joint through a range of motion, how well they can control it, and in the appropriate circumstances, how much force they can produce through that range.

100%. I would now add that what you say applies in more ways that might at first be apparent. Going off my above definition, people can lose range of motion from a more macro/global level, e.g. not being able to touch their toes, as well as at a micro level, e.g. there is not much relative range of motion in their hip joint, pelvis and lower back.

I feel like I have alright mobility but I cannot do the QL stretch to save my life haha.
It is trouble sitting in the straddle or the bending sideways part? The former can be assisted by sitting up on blocks or books or something.

I did quite well during my CrossFit years with mobilitywod, romwod, and gowod. Nowadays a proper yin yoga class does the trick. Anna is right, long stretches are key to improving range of motion. Relax into stretch is a key resource here.

I really like loaded exercise for most of my mobility needs. Just use appropriate load and try to do a longer range of motion on every rep. For example, for tight hamstrings, I do good mornings or stiff leg deadlifts.

Stuart McGill's Back Mechanic. I'm moving away from the bad decisions. I have stiffness and mobility in the wrong places.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom