all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Enter the Kettlebell Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Themacck

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi everyone! Has anyone here ever done the ETK program as outlined in the book but with with 2 bells? I would think it could be a great strength building program with the addition of a second bell. Thoughts?

Hi everyone! Has anyone here ever done the ETK program as outlined in the book but with with 2 bells? I would think it could be a great strength building program with the addition of a second bell. Thoughts?
I haven’t, but I’m pretty sure Pavel said years ago that it was too much for the lower back.

I haven’t, but I’m pretty sure Pavel said years ago that it was too much for the lower back.
Interesting. I know he came up with Dry Fighting Weight and there are other double bell programs available. Is it the swings/snatches he refers to that would be bad for the lower back?

Interesting. I know he came up with Dry Fighting Weight and there are other double bell programs available. Is it the swings/snatches he refers to that would be bad for the lower back?
The re-cleaning before each rep and the other ballistics perhaps

DFW would be a great option if you want to do clean and press ladders with double bells

Someone asked this a while ago in the forum. This was Pavel’s answer:

Pavel

Founder and Chairman​

Jeff, don't try the ROP with doubles; too much for your back. Lower volume is appropriate.

I'm currently working through the ETK press program with pullup ladders mirroring the presses. I believe that is suggested in the book to add addition work. Have you tried adding in the pullups?

As far as C+P goes, the Giant program has shown recently that, with good form, there is no issue with 50-80 reps per session using 5-10RM double bells.

I can see however how problematic heavy double snatches can be, if not reduced to half snatches. You also can't play chicken when swinging double bells and the combination of heavy bells and the necessary lowering of the swing trajectory can cause lower back issues.

Honestly, for double bell presses, I'd rather go with DFW or the Giant. If one is just starting to learn double-bell work, then oddly enough, ETK+ with light bells is a good option. I used it successfully to rehab an injured shoulder and it accelerated the healing process!

The re-cleaning before each rep and the other ballistics perhaps

DFW would be a great option if you want to do clean and press ladders with double bells
I saw the DFW and didn’t know if the 5 week program was enough for me to feel accomplished. Hence the curiosity on ETK with 2 bells. I’ll give DFW a try!

I'm currently working through the ETK press program with pullup ladders mirroring the presses. I believe that is suggested in the book to add addition work. Have you tried adding in the pullups?
Yes. I’m currently at 32kg with the press and 24kg on the swing/snatch. I do 24kg chin ups to mirror the ladders.

As far as C+P goes, the Giant program has shown recently that, with good form, there is no issue with 50-80 reps per session using 5-10RM double bells.

I can see however how problematic heavy double snatches can be, if not reduced to half snatches. You also can't play chicken when swinging double bells and the combination of heavy bells and the necessary lowering of the swing trajectory can cause lower back issues.

Honestly, for double bell presses, I'd rather go with DFW or the Giant. If one is just starting to learn double-bell work, then oddly enough, ETK+ with light bells is a good option. I used it successfully to rehab an injured shoulder and it accelerated the healing process!
I saw the GIANT program before along with the DFW. Just having a lot of success with ETK at the moment. Majority suggest the DFW/GIANT which is probably my safest route at this point. Don’t need to be doing something stupid.
That being said, what is ETK+?

I saw the GIANT program before along with the DFW. Just having a lot of success with ETK at the moment. Majority suggest the DFW/GIANT which is probably my safest route at this point. Don’t need to be doing something stupid.
That being said, what is ETK+?
Since you're already pressing the 32K, then maybe ROTK is a better option than ETK+ for you. Both were written by Pavel and available on Amazon. If it's only C+P you're interested in, then the Giant is an excellent choice. I find it more time efficient than ETK in getting one to the next weight, and doubles will work your entire body... from calves to traps.

More on ETK+ in this thread: ETK+ is legit!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom