all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Using a 'Habit Tracker' for Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boris Bachmann

Level 8 Valued Member
I've been using a 'habit tracker' (in addition to a regular training log of course) to have a/another way to easily look at my training and exercise frequency over time.
Kind of like a 'practice map' of sorts - I find it helps me make sure to do those little things/exercises that I tend to forget to include in the training rotation.
I downloaded this one here -> This Free Printable Habit Tracker will Help you Reach your Goals
unnamed-3.jpg

This is great! I've been trying to build in some "extras" that aren't part of my program but I just want to get them in with some degree of regularity, like get-ups, banded lateral walks, bottom-up press, arm bar, mace, sun salutations... This looks like the perfect solution.

Glad you like it! I also use it to get me to do 'something' even on those days when I don't want to do anything. I find that, with this, I generally will at least do (for example) some push-ups, light grip work, or light band work as recovery work when I'm beat down or extremely pressed for time.

I've been using a 'habit tracker' (in addition to a regular training log of course) to have a/another way to easily look at my training and exercise frequency over time.
Kind of like a 'practice map' of sorts - I find it helps me make sure to do those little things/exercises that I tend to forget to include in the training rotation.
I downloaded this one here -> This Free Printable Habit Tracker will Help you Reach your Goals
View attachment 13765
Here's a nice free online habit tracker that I used for a couple years, to track training, walking, eating habits, and guitar practice. I became a little obsessive in tracking too many activities and haven't used it lately. The systems guy who developed it, is the author of the NoS Diet.
You might have to open a free account to access it, not sure.

Here's a nice free online habit tracker that I used for a couple years, to track training, walking, eating habits, and guitar practice. I became a little obsessive in tracking too many activities and haven't used it lately. The systems guy who developed it, is the author of the NoS Diet.
You might have to open a free account to access it, not sure.
Yeah, I was tracking more activities for a while, but like you said, it got to be too much. It works better if it's just for a limited amount of things you want to ingrain. I just track exercises right now.

Another thing I use the 'habit tracker' for record-keeping-wise is looking at intensity of workouts (I use 'intensity' very broadly here as a blanket term for RPE, % of 1rm, high volume, how much it kicked my butt, etc).

Looking at the month of May:
6 very 'hard' workouts (20%)
11 'medium' workouts (37%)
12 easy/'recovery' workouts (40%)
1 day completely off (3%)

It is interesting, because beyond a general idea of exercise frequency and some training targets/goals, unless I am training for a competition, I don't set strict training plans - the numbers above were just how they shaked out. Paretto's Principle (the 80/20 rule) seems to rear its head here as well.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 9
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom