all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed ETK press programming for lower body?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone tried the press programming from ETK with unilateral leg exercises like lunges, step ups, or pistol progressions? Would it be worth trying?

Do you mean like RoP (Rite of Passage)?

I use ladders for lower body all the time. One of my favorite ways to train is to pair an upper body press with a lower body press.

For example:
Yesterday I did...
Pike pushups 2,4,6,8
Shrimp squats 2,4,6,8

So I would do 2 pike pushups, then 2 shrimp squats per leg, then 4, etc... resting as long as I felt like between work sets.

It feels like a nice blend between strength and conditiong work.

And of course you could do whatever ladder scheme as well as weekly schedule that you felt like. I think the only caveat is that you wouldn't want to ladder everything. I'm guessing that it would be too much overall volume. You might end up needing to do short ladders to make it work.

Hello,

In the article at the end of this post, multiple ladders of 3 are used with pistols. So IMHO, using RoP set and rep frame would work. Like @bluejeff it is a great blend of strength and conditioning.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, like RoP, thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of picking one lower body exercise, step ups in this case, and taking it through the RoP progression after working upper body and maybe a couple warm up sets of squats.

And since it usually comes down to "What are your goals", my goals are to walk tirelessly uphill, also build strength and some muscle size. I've been doing a MWF schedule with Friday being a little lighter so I'll be fresh for hiking on the weekend.

I like 1,2,3 x 2-3 for pistols/single leg squats. Haven't tried for SLDL, split squat or others but probably would work.

My initial thoughts are it would better with LB exercises that hold the weight in a goblet position. Higher volume ladders holding the weights might kill the grip for any upper body exercises in the program.

I have a quick follow up question.

Would there be any issue putting the heavy day on Wednesday?

So it would be:
Monday - medium
Wednesday - heavy
Friday - light

Because I like to hike on the weekends and would rather not have the heavy day immediately before or after the weekend. I'm actually still sore from Saturday's hike.

Would there be any issue putting the heavy day on Wednesday?
I haven't been able to find it, but I swear I've seen Pavel say something about "being stronger on Wednesdays." When I do a H/L/M split, I do best with the order being M/H/L, so that heavy falls on the "wednesday" of my training week. For some reason heavy day was always harder after days off. Something neurological perhaps?

I haven't been able to find it, but I swear I've seen Pavel say something about "being stronger on Wednesdays." When I do a H/L/M split, I do best with the order being M/H/L, so that heavy falls on the "wednesday" of my training week. For some reason heavy day was always harder after days off. Something neurological perhaps?
Thanks, that's good enough for me. I think that's the way I'll do it and see how it goes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom