all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Updated S&S Book worth it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alex Zalneraitis

Level 1 Valued Member
I have noticed that there is the new S&S 2.0 that came out in late 2019. I'm primarily bodyweight/calisthenics based, but I make use of Q&D swings/pushups protocol and the S&S swings/get-ups using enough rest time to not be fatigued.
Would it be worthwhile to buy the new S&S book to get more info on the scientific background and updated routine? I enjoyed the information presented in Q&D, so I was wondering if the new updates to the workouts plus background information would be useful or just a good read.

I have noticed that there is the new S&S 2.0 that came out in late 2019. I'm primarily bodyweight/calisthenics based, but I make use of Q&D swings/pushups protocol and the S&S swings/get-ups using enough rest time to not be fatigued.
Would it be worthwhile to buy the new S&S book to get more info on the scientific background and updated routine? I enjoyed the information presented in Q&D, so I was wondering if the new updates to the workouts plus background information would be useful or just a good read.

Is it worth it? 100%. It does NOT go deep into the science the way Q&D does, but it definitely incorporates more of the experiences of Q&D into the routine and answers a ton of questions the first one didn't.

I'm very happy I bought the second one and found it made the program much better to do, with more insight into going past Simple.

You'll see me in it... So, of course. :)

Audible version highly recommended as well! I listened to that several times with the original version, mostly while driving. Like, 6-8 times probably. I think that's why so many of the lessons sunk in -- hearing it repetitively, hearing it with Pavel's emphasis, and getting it through an additional input to reading/seeing. There is so much wisdom buried in this deceptively "simple" program.

I'm even planning on buying the french copy because when I read it in french (my first language) I picked up stuff I missed in English. I've read the 2.0 both in English and in French and have enjoyed the new material in it.

It is worth buying and worth reading many, many times. The only way to pick up on absolutely every point is repeated reading (interspersed with S&S practice, of course). There is a lot hidden inside the S&S book and the program itself.

In my opinion S&S 2.0 should have been a free update for those who bought tge first book, but that's me.

There are a few differences in 2.0. Most of it is the original content, including descriptions of lifts. Some new stuff in the programming section, For me there it not, and it's not something I would want to reread many times, so I returned the book (kindle). You can get the kindle version and decide for yourself if it's worth keeping.

I definitely think it’s worth it! What it’s done for me is clear up a lot of questions I had after reading the original version.

I haven’t heard anyone say this really, but there are some things I like about 2.0 and some things I still like about the original version.

What I like about the original version:
•Sticking with a weight until you pass the timed standards. I feel this forces me to really focus on power and technique.
•Shadow swings and slow get ups for active recovery. I like the idea that even when I’m not feeling great that these really help speed up my recovery!
•The all-out swing test. I just like the extra challenge added in with this and it gives me another goal to shoot for!

What I like about the S&S 2.0:
•The more detailed explanation on the talk test. The extra clarification helps so much more.
•The step loading plan for increasing weight also is gold, yet incredibly simple.
•Two Handed swings every 3 sessions even if you’re feeling good. I’ll do this with shadow swings and slow get ups and feel it helps keep my energy levels high throughout the week.
•The more explanation on what to do after Timed Simple, although I do not like the idea of training 4x a week. I like the daily training aspect of S&S as it tends to help me mentally.
•Having a hard session at the end of the week where you dip into glycolysis. I think this is a great way to stimulate progress and it’s been fun trying to find a way to progress on those days as well!

I think being able to pick and choose things from each program that my body likes helped me out a lot in moving forward.

•Shadow swings and slow get ups for active recovery. I like the idea that even when I’m not feeling great that these really help speed up my recovery!
Great summary. What are shadow swings please? I'm a newbie and haven't read the original text.

Great summary. What are shadow swings please? I'm a newbie and haven't read the original text.
Basically, a shadow swing is a two arm swing variation where instead of letting the bell fall on the downward part of the swing, you pull down on the bell which makes it fall much faster. Then, just like a regular swing, you explode back up and repeat the process.

Please keep in mind, I’m not a certified SFG, so my explanation may be too simple or there may be something I missed. There must be videos on YouTube going over just that.

What are shadow swings please? I'm a newbie and haven't read the original text.

Yep, as @acutaiar12 said, it's a 2H swing with an active down/back swing. You push the kettlebell down and into the hinge.

You can do this rather gently, or you can do it quite violently and forcefully, which will REALLY light up your abs and significantly increase the cadence of the swing.

We had a deeper discussion in this thread: How fast do we swing Kettlebells?

The updated book is for sure worth it. Some nice clarifications, especially on the step loading

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom