all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG1 working weight?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jd_wzrd

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all,

I've recently decided to go for SFG1 in Philly in October. I've started Brett Jones SFG1 prep program this week.

I'll be using a 28kg as my test bell, but at home I only have access to the typical bell standards (ie. 16,24,32,40,48).

I am able to do most of the SFG standards comfortably with the 32kg, save for the Snatch test, so I'm confident in the technical side of the certification but my concern is my endurance prepping for the snatch test.

Considering my test bell is in the middle of the Bells I have access to how would you recommend I approach prep for it? Should I be trying to complete a snatch test at home with the 32? Or should I be working toward extra reps with a 24? I want to stay realistic with my abilities but at the same time I don't want to fail because of 4kg.

What would you recommend? Thank you in advance

"Attack" it from "All" sides:
Higher volume 24kg snatch work
32kg Snatches (5-6 rep every 30 seconds x 10 min, or 5+5 (and beyond) OTM)
40kg One-arm swings (essentially a goal of 10 every 30 seconds for 5 min or 10+10 OTM x 5 min)

I agree with Brett's advice above. I also would add that it's common to do one or two trial-run snatch tests prior to your cert weekend. If you do these (which is a good idea :) ) then consider starting the 5min with the 32kg, and finishing it with the 24kg. For example you could set a goal of 32kg x 40 reps, then 24kg x 60 reps. If you do a second trial-run later, you could try to beat your initial performance by doing something like 50/50 or possibly even 60/40 the other way.

IMHO, if you can do 10 snatches on the minute for 10 minutes one size up from your test weight, you're usually in striking distance from a snatch test..

That being said, we'd be happy to check your skills vids so you can further home your skills as the cert nears

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom