all posts post new thread

Bodyweight 30-Day Pushup Challenge + Simple & Sinister?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RWolfe

Level 4 Valued Member
I have decided to tackle the 30 Day Pushup Challenge that was sent out today. In the guidance it states "Do no other pushing exercises for the next month." I am currently doing S&S 3-4x per week. Should I discontinue getups until I complete the Challenge? Or perhaps lighten the weight and just work on form?

I decided to give it a try too, and as you I also follow S&S, but instead of TGU I do Tactical GU.

I'm going to give this a shot too. Just finished 8 weeks of the 'Red Zone'. So should be in a good place. Week off first though. I was thinking of doing the '40 Days of Movement Challenge' by Dan John and Pavel, but this will fit my schedule better.

Hello,

Sounds like a variation of this article :
It may help to build push endurance and breaking some strength plateau

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yes it is. I hope to increase my Push-up RM, and I'm very interested in Strong Endurance as well as in Plan Strong principles. The plan looks easy and should not interfere with my other activities. One thing I'm wondering is should I continue do Burpees 3 times a week? Maybe reduce it to 2 session, or ditch totally for a month?

Hello,

@mikhael
I'd reduce the number of burpee sessions to 2 or even 1 (due to the push up it has) and would replace by LISS.

Kind regards,

Pet'

To the original question:
I don‘t think that the Pushups interfere much with the Getup. If you are in the process of going up in weight with the GU, i would be observant and might stick to the weight you own.
I would (and will) try to run the pushups along Simple&Sinister and adjust if necessary.

@Stefan Olsson. Yes that program. Generally whilst I'm on a program I'm looking for the next one after a rest period. The 40 day challenge looks good, but I'll do the press up challenge first, thinking it might be like an active recovery after the Red Zone? I like the simplicity of the press up challenge, but I'm not going to underestimate the challenge of it.

Reference the original post, I'd consider where I was in S&S. Just moved up to the 32 and just getting used to it? I wouldn't run alongside. Working the 24 and everything dialled in and feeling strong, then maybe, but I wouldn't compromise my S&S progress for a side challenge. I would use the time you would use for that, for an extra S&S session.

Or perhaps lighten the weight and just work on form?
What is your current level and experience with push ups? Have you successfully bolted on other programs with S&S? Are you a heavier or leaner practitioner?

If you have a solid base, switch to a “keep the skills fresh mode”. Example: 50 swings, 4 GUs, with 24kg 2x per week. You can weave in the push ups and MONITOR recovery! You may also find that you need to have an inverse relationship with push up volume and S&S work.

If you don’t have a solid push up base, I suggest taking a couple months to hone the skill. Take the max number of push ups you can do (with good form of course), and then space that over several sessions throughout the day a few times a week first. Easy right? Very easy in fact. Give it a 10% bump the next week and the week after that. Week 4 deload. Test new max, repeat another 1-2 months. After that consider doing the challenge.

I am not the king of push ups, but it will allow you to gauge a couple things. Easing the movement in will give you an indicator how your body will respond. It will also gently get the CNS use to the movement and likely not impede recovery. It will also allow your connective tissue a chance to remodel according to the new stimulus.

Not trying to discourage you, but perhaps help you take a more measured approach that will serve you better in the long run.

For the OP, Karen Smith answers several questions in the comments section for this article about doing S&S while following her One Arm Pushup program. Obviously a different pushup program but the question whether S&S interferes with pushup progress would seem conceptually the same.

Hello,

Sounds like a variation of this article :
It may help to build push endurance and breaking some strength plateau

Kind regards,

Pet'
And, from the same author, the Heads & Tails plan, which is quite similar, but with less sets per day. I does not vary the reps per set but the sets per day.

Are people using the press up position they are most happy with or the power press up that is recommended for Q&D program? My power press up number is going to be lower than a normal press up, will this matter for the challenge?

Are people using the press up position they are most happy with or the power press up that is recommended for Q&D program? My power press up number is going to be lower than a normal press up, will this matter for the challenge?
This challenge is not about power but strength and strength endurance, so I'd say find your own groove within reasonable parameters, i.e. good form. That being said, closer to the form shown in Q&D is probably better (elbows 45 degress to the body or closer).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom