all posts post new thread

Barbell Minimum exercises to hit entire body challenge

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Warzone2022

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey guys, if you had to pick a strength routine that hits all major musculature in the body, what would you choose, mine would be the below.

But to go one step closer, I could drop the curls and shrugs too which would still work, whats your idea?

Week 1

Workout A

1x25+ Leg Extension

2-3x warmup sets then working sets 2x10 Bench Press

2x25 Barbell Shrug

Workout B

2-3x warmup sets then working sets 2x10 Trap Bar Deadlift

2-3x warmup sets then working sets 2x10 Row

2x10 Curl

Week 2

Workout A

4x warmup sets- top set 1x5 Squat

2x25 Trap Bar Shrug

Workout B

4x warmup sets- top set 1x5 Deadlift

2x10 Curl

---------

Every muscle in the body work with the lifts and target everything efficiently

Trap Bar Deadlift - Glutes, Quads, Hamstrings, Trapezius, Errectors, Entire Back, Latissimus Dorsi, Hips, Core, Grip, Forearms, Shoulders

Row - Latissimus Dorsi, Rhomboids, Spinal Erectors, Trapezius, Lower Back, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps, Hamstrings, Glutes, Core

Leg Extension - Entire Quad, Rectus Femoris, Vastus Intermedius, Vastus Lateralis, Vastus Medialis

Bench Press - Pec Major, Anterior Deltoid, Triceps, Anaconeus, Serratus Anterior, Middle and Inferior Trapezius, Humeral Head Stabilizers, Core

Curl - Biceps Short Head Brachii, Biceps Long Head Brachii, Brachioradialis, Brachialis

Deadlift - Quadriceps, Glutes, Adductor Magnus (Inner Thigh), Hamstrings, Erectors, Lats, Traps, Rhomboids, Abdominals & Obliques, Biceps, Shoulders, Forearms, Grip

Squat - Quadriceps, Glutes, Adductor Magnus (Inner Thigh), Hamstrings, Erectors, Abdominals and Obliques, Upper Back and Lats, Calves

Trap Bar Shrugs - Trapezius (upper), Levator Scapulae, Rhomboids, Trapezius (middle), Deltoid, Supraspinatus, Pectoralis Minor, Trapezius (lower), Pectoralis Major, Latissimus Dorsi, Forearms, Biceps, Grip, Neck

Barbell Shrugs - Trapezius (upper), Levator Scapulae, Forearms, Biceps, Grip, Trapezius (middle), Erector Spinae, Neck

What do you think:D

Last edited:
You've got way, way more than the minimum needed there. You're saying this is a challenge for the minimum but you've got leg extensions, deadlifts AND two types of shrugs?

To make every muscle in your body strong and hit every muscle, you could just do: DL + Bench. Solved.

Another easy option from tactical barbell for mass and strength:

1. Squat + Bench + Chin-up

2. Squat + Bench + Chin-up

3. Squat + Bench + Deadlift

Personally, I think you need a proper pull to get decent arm development so I do either:

Bench, Seated Row, Leg Press
OHP, Lat pull-down, Leg Press

And often I alternate on a Workout A, Workout B basis.

I commonly do up to five hard sets (10-20 reps close to failure) on the presses and pulls and one high rep (~20 rep) set to failure on the legs.

This provides a solid, balanced physique within a reasonable time commitment.

Squat, bench, deadlift, OHP, pull up.
Basically how many people train anyway.

If you care about minimising exercises go with deadlift and either bench or OHP only. I did a long phase of doing only deadlift, OHP and a few pull ups (I never hit the pull ups that hard) and got great results.

Looks like my answer has been covered. Run Starting Strength NLP with pull-ups, cleans, jerks and snatches. Squats, deadlifts, bench, ohp, pull-ups, and o-lifts if you are able.

Hello,

The above postes cover everything. Below is a Dan John's article in line with what has been Saïd:

Kind regards,

Pet'

I might suggest refining the objective a bit.

"if you had to pick a strength routine that hits all major musculature in the body"

I assume "hit" them means make them work. But to what end? Can we assume, to make them stronger? Do you also want hypertrophy? Increased function? More athleticism? Assistance towards other goals? Aesthetic appearance? More strength endurance or work capacity? Any competitive endeavors?

Push, pull, hinge, squat =
Bench, Row, DL, Squat +
Shoulder push, Shoulder pull, hamstring focus leg exercise, quad focus leg exercise

8 exercises, or only 4 if you ditch the accessories. Ultimately depends on your goals, Getups and cleans make a pretty good duo.

Hey guys, if you had to pick a strength routine that hits all major musculature in the body, what would you choose, mine would be the below.

But to go one step closer, I could drop the curls and shrugs too which would still work, whats your idea?

Week 1

Workout A

1x25+ Leg Extension

2x25 Barbell Shrug

Workout B

2-3x warmup sets then working sets 2x10 Trap Bar Deadlift

2x10 Curl

Week 2

Workout A

4x warmup sets- top set 1x5 Squat

2x25 Trap Bar Shrug

Workout B

4x warmup sets- top set 1x5 Deadlift

2x10 Curl

---------

Every muscle in the body work with the lifts and target everything efficiently

Trap Bar Deadlift - Glutes, Quads, Hamstrings, Trapezius, Errectors, Entire Back, Latissimus Dorsi, Hips, Core, Grip, Forearms, Shoulders

Row - Latissimus Dorsi, Rhomboids, Spinal Erectors, Trapezius, Lower Back, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps, Hamstrings, Glutes, Core

Leg Extension - Entire Quad, Rectus Femoris, Vastus Intermedius, Vastus Lateralis, Vastus Medialis

Bench Press - Pec Major, Anterior Deltoid, Triceps, Anaconeus, Serratus Anterior, Middle and Inferior Trapezius, Humeral Head Stabilizers, Core

Curl - Biceps Short Head Brachii, Biceps Long Head Brachii, Brachioradialis, Brachialis

Deadlift - Quadriceps, Glutes, Adductor Magnus (Inner Thigh), Hamstrings, Erectors, Lats, Traps, Rhomboids, Abdominals & Obliques, Biceps, Shoulders, Forearms, Grip

Squat - Quadriceps, Glutes, Adductor Magnus (Inner Thigh), Hamstrings, Erectors, Abdominals and Obliques, Upper Back and Lats, Calves

Trap Bar Shrugs - Trapezius (upper), Levator Scapulae, Rhomboids, Trapezius (middle), Deltoid, Supraspinatus, Pectoralis Minor, Trapezius (lower), Pectoralis Major, Latissimus Dorsi, Forearms, Biceps, Grip, Neck

Barbell Shrugs - Trapezius (upper), Levator Scapulae, Forearms, Biceps, Grip, Trapezius (middle), Erector Spinae, Neck

What do you think:D
...snatch...it hits everything.

Dan John has a minimalist program that consists of:

Snatches: 8 x 3 reps

Clean & Press: 8 x 3 reps

Really hard not to hit the entire body this way. I do like the wrestling suggestion.

Deadlift or Squat + Clean and Press (dumbbell or kettlebell)

It's summer break here in Australia. Wanted a quick workout. Came up with this. Essentially I warm up by starting with 1 plate and adding a plate or half plate till I get to my workout set. I usually do about 4 sets of 1 arm swings + deadlift to warm up. Then 3-5 rounds of deadlift + clean and press. About 20 min to workout and feel great after. End up with a great full body workout.

Dan John has a minimalist program that consists of:

Snatches: 8 x 3 reps

Clean & Press: 8 x 3 reps

Really hard not to hit the entire body this way. I do like the wrestling suggestion.
This looks interesting...
Are these both on the same day? Increasing weight each set? And how often?

This looks interesting...
Are these both on the same day? Increasing weight each set? And how often?
Yup, same day. Three days a week. The first three sets of the eight are warm ups and the last five sets of the eight are with the same weight with small increases each week are when ready. He had another where it was ten sets of 3-5 reps done three days a week with just the full range of movement clean and press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom