all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Single Kettlebell Complexes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Scottlapier

Level 1 Valued Member
Morning,

During the pandemic I worked through Simple and Sinister. At this point I can comfortable complete all 100 swings and 10 TGUs with a 24 KG bell, and clean and press my 16 KG for reps. I’m still working on taming the arc and completing the workout for time. And at this time I only have one of each bell.

Do you guys have any recommendations for single kettlebell complexes I can use to work on my technique and conditioning? Thank you in advance.

Maybe move on to q&d... if you're looking for complexes specifically pat flynn or Geoff neupert are solid sources

Morning,

During the pandemic I worked through Simple and Sinister. At this point I can comfortable complete all 100 swings and 10 TGUs with a 24 KG bell, and clean and press my 16 KG for reps. I’m still working on taming the arc and completing the workout for time. And at this time I only have one of each bell.

Do you guys have any recommendations for single kettlebell complexes I can use to work on my technique and conditioning? Thank you in advance.
Morning,

Blackout
20 2 hand swings
10 snatch L/R
10 clean L/R
Rest 60 seconds
18 2 hand swings
9 snatch L/R
9 clean L/R
Rest 50 seconds
16 2 arm swings
8 snatch L/R
8 clean L/R
Rest 40 seconds
14 2 arm swings
7 snatch L/R
7 cleans L/R
Rest 30 seconds
12 2 arm swings
6 snatch L/R
6 cleans L/R
Rest 20 seconds
10 2 arm swings
6 snatch L/R
6 clean L/R
Rest 10 seconds
8 2 arm swings
4 snatch L/R
4 clean L/R

Die. Hopefully not literally. Realise why it’s called “Blackout”. Yup Geoff Neupert has amazing complexes but sometimes inventing your own is deeply enjoyable. I personally like Geoffs and I also like doing my own and tinkering with work/rest Ratio and the concept of a movement that is active rest. Cleans, swings, presses, push presses are moves in a complex where I’m able to “rest” while still going, if that makes sense.

One of my favorite yet extremely simple effective complex with a single bell is goblet squats and swings. You can program it however you like. If I go heavy I’ll do 10 swings 5 squats rest….if I go medium I’ll do ladder (or reverse ladder I guess it’s called) do ten swings 1 squat then 9 swings 2 squats 8 swings 3 squats etc. rest as needed. Also you can always add in push-ups to this complex.

Ultimately, I think this stuff all starts to sound pretty similar, but this from Tom Furman may be of interest.

Pat Flynn has some great ones.
My personal favorite: Use a 35 or 45.
Set clock for 20 minutes. Rest as necessary.
Two hand swing x 2
One hand swing L x 2, One hand swing right x 2
Squat to press L x 2 Squat to press R x 2

Start this sequence over and do reps of 4. Then 6, then 8, then 10. Then back down the ladder. 10, 8, 6, 4 2.

As many rounds a possible.

Maybe move on to q&d... if you're looking for complexes specifically pat flynn or Geoff neupert are solid sources
Sounds good, I’ll order Q & D as soon as I get paid
I like a lot of Geoff's complexes. You might also strong Hector Gutierrez's free Ketllebell Workout Snacks over at strongashec.com.
Geoff is on my ‘To research’ list
Blackout
20 2 hand swings
10 snatch L/R
10 clean L/R
Rest 60 seconds
18 2 hand swings
9 snatch L/R
9 clean L/R
Rest 50 seconds
16 2 arm swings
8 snatch L/R
8 clean L/R
Rest 40 seconds
14 2 arm swings
7 snatch L/R
7 cleans L/R
Rest 30 seconds
12 2 arm swings
6 snatch L/R
6 cleans L/R
Rest 20 seconds
10 2 arm swings
6 snatch L/R
6 clean L/R
Rest 10 seconds
8 2 arm swings
4 snatch L/R
4 clean L/R

Die. Hopefully not literally. Realise why it’s called “Blackout”. Yup Geoff Neupert has amazing complexes but sometimes inventing your own is deeply enjoyable. I personally like Geoffs and I also like doing my own and tinkering with work/rest Ratio and the concept of a movement that is active rest. Cleans, swings, presses, push presses are moves in a complex where I’m able to “rest” while still going, if that makes sense.
I’ll do my best to build up to it. And true about making your own complexes. I missed most of these replies before I left for the day. I ended up just doing a simple 1 - 5 - 1 ladder with a swing, clean and press on each side. It was pretty fun and was a pretty good ’square one’
One of my favorite yet extremely simple effective complex with a single bell is goblet squats and swings. You can program it however you like. If I go heavy I’ll do 10 swings 5 squats rest….if I go medium I’ll do ladder (or reverse ladder I guess it’s called) do ten swings 1 squat then 9 swings 2 squats 8 swings 3 squats etc. rest as needed. Also you can always add in push-ups to this complex.
I’ll test this out today. I need to rebuild my front rack for Olympic lifting, so this sounds like a good compliment.
Strength Aerobics. I like adding a snatch after the squat, ala @Brett Jones style.

Can’t wait to dig into this
Ultimately, I think this stuff all starts to sound pretty similar, but this from Tom Furman may be of interest.
I’ll be sure to check him out while I’m doing some research on my lunch break.
Pat Flynn has some great ones.
My personal favorite: Use a 35 or 45.
Set clock for 20 minutes. Rest as necessary.
Two hand swing x 2
One hand swing L x 2, One hand swing right x 2
Squat to press L x 2 Squat to press R x 2

Start this sequence over and do reps of 4. Then 6, then 8, then 10. Then back down the ladder. 10, 8, 6, 4 2.

As many rounds a possible.
Sounds like a blast. I’ll probably try it out today with a 16kg bell. I’m looking to keep the complexes as ‘conditioning’ and to around 10 to 15 minutes. But I’ll still give this one a shot.

Thank for all the help so far guys.

Strength Aerobics, as mentioned. Also +1 to Pat Flynn, Geoff Neupert as great, cost efficient and wildly effective resources.

If I may sound a dissenting voice here:

There needs to be more single bell 'complete' programs.

@Tom Furman's article, near the top, says, "This method seemed to work well for Anton Anasenko. He is an Honored Master of Sport, swims in icy lakes, hunts and runs marathons in Siberia. Basically he’s a harder man than you."

I know there are people training for special forces selection, grapplers and MMA competitors, and others who want to swim in icy lakes, hunt and run marathons in Siberia, and the like. For those people, I understand wanting to be adequately prepared.

But then there are the rest of us. I'll speak personally. I'm a "harder man" than 99% of the people I know but that 1% includes quite a few people. I would, without a doubt, lose on the grappling mat, in the MMA ring, and in a contest of Girevoy Sport.

In my opinion, it's easy to get lost in the appeal of making yourself tough. Keeping my wonderful relationship with my wife, helping my two 20-something children as they begin to navigate adulthood, helping my elderly mother-in-law, trying to do the best I can for those who employ me, trying to continue to be healthy in order to do all of the above - doing all those things is my version of a strength-endurance sport. It's not that I don't want to improve or that I don't train in order to get better, but there are limits to what I'm willing to do. I don't lack challenges - life provides plenty of them, most not physical. A handful of exercises gives me everything I need: barbell deadlift, kettlebell swing, kettlebell overhead press, pullups, and walking. From my exercise, I want the most for my life, not for my exercise.

Just my opinion.

-S-

Have you grabbed a copy of KB express?

I might have, but I don't think so. I have so many of his programs already. I think they all are double kb programs, so maybe not. I quite like double kb programs so am in no hurry to switch.

But when people only have 1 kb and are just starting it would be nice to say, hey go do this.

But then there are the rest of us. I'll speak personally. I'm a "harder man" than 99% of the people I know

My comment was more along the lines of there are great double kb programs I know of like Wolf, Strong, and Giant. When I have someone say they have 1kb and want to give it a go, I don't feel like I have the same quality of programs to direct them to.

I am not a kb instructor and don't pretend to be, so I like to direct people to something simple and proven that they can read or watch the video and learn on their own: 1-3 simple-to-learn exercises that offer lots of results when combined properly.

I don't feel like I have the same quality of programs to direct them to.
IDK, there are really plenty of them. Today, e.g., I pressed one kettlebell and did 1-hand swings with one kettlebell. It's a fine program, if you ask me.

There is Strength Aerobics, Total Tension Complex, the Rite of Passage from ETK, A Group Lesson Plan for Conquering the Deep 6 | StrongFirst, The Ultimate Kettlebell Exercise for Martial Conditioning | StrongFirst - and the list goes on and on.

-S-

I might have, but I don't think so. I have so many of his programs already. I think they all are double kb programs, so maybe not. I quite like double kb programs so am in no hurry to switch.

But when people only have 1 kb and are just starting it would be nice to say, hey go do this.

My comment was more along the lines of there are great double kb programs I know of like Wolf, Strong, and Giant. When I have someone say they have 1kb and want to give it a go, I don't feel like I have the same quality of programs to direct them to.

I am not a kb instructor and don't pretend to be, so I like to direct people to something simple and proven that they can read or watch the video and learn on their own: 1-3 simple-to-learn exercises that offer lots of results when combined properly.
Express is mostly single bell

But then there are the rest of us.
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Daddy's fitness regimen takes a back seat to any and everything. Always last in line for Space, time, or, money. For me and my family it comes dead last and gets table scraps compared to sitting together doing homework, folding laundry, or breaking up a squabble.

So , when I started, I was swinging simple weights around 12am between overnight milk bottle feedings and now I stab the day with a few deadlifts and a couple presses. It's all some of us can do to get a practice together at all.

For me a program with any resemblance to minimalism is half necessity, half godsend.

With all that said, if you're looking for complexes for conditioning @Brett Jones has a great Instagram with lots of ideas you can borrow with a tweak to the interval timing you can easily expand your conditioning.

I also like seeing wods and complexes from Pat Flynn, and on Instagram there's also primal swoldier.

@Brett Jones Strength Aerobics combinations are my go to on days I don't want to think much but get a great workout. I change the weight and pace depending on how I feel that day. If you want to get more variety then a few of @Geoff Neupert programs will do the work. Other resources mentioned above also work just fine. Depending on what your goals you can find many options available on Youtube, Instagram, and pinterest. However, these are mostly standalone complex based workouts and not programs. If you like to do programs, then I suggest you look at @Geoff Neupert 's work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom