all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Complementary Exercises to Double Kettlebell Clean And Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

justcody

Level 3 Valued Member
Does anyone know of good complementary exercises to the DKC&P?
Right now, I'm doing clean and presses just about everyday but I'm wondering if there are any good exercises that I can add.

What would you like to get out of your training that you're not currently getting?

This is NOT my area of experience, so just throwing this out there. I see Brett Jones on his Instagram posts a circuit of strength aerobics almost daily, and it is often a C&P, squat with the bell(s) in the rack, snatch, sit the bells. Looks like a perfect little flow that hits just about everything.

What would you like to get out of your training that you're not currently getting?
Well, I suppose this is part of my question. I love the c&p. I’m wondering if there’s anything more I could do to improve upon it and/or if there are areas that the c&p doesn’t hit. Maybe that’s more of a clarification.

I loathe doing get ups (I still rotate them in and take my medicine and do them due to the benefits) so I use c&p in replace most times when running swings/get up type programs...

Front squats & pull-ups are good options too imo

Well, I suppose this is part of my question. I love the c&p. I’m wondering if there’s anything more I could do to improve upon it and/or if there are areas that the c&p doesn’t hit. Maybe that’s more of a clarification.

There's a few ways to look at it.

One way to look at it is what muscles are you using. It's a great combo! Certainly "most of them", at least to some degree. But you could add something more for areas that need more stimulation -- I'm thinking abs, quads. (As @Mark Limbaga said, squats, would hit the quads more)

Another way to look at it is movement patterns. You might look for something with lateral or rotational movement. (Get-ups are good! Great idea @jtsang ) Or one-arm C&P, for some degree of anti-rotational stimulus.

A third way to look at it is on the strength/strength endurance/conditioning scale. This depends on the reps/sets/weight you are currently using. You might be doing 5 sets of 5 HEAVY C&P, or ladders -- mostly a strength stimulus. Or you might be doing 20 sets of 10 light-ish C&P -- mostly a strength endurance stimulus. Or you might be doing sets of 50 even lighter C&P -- mostly a conditioning stimulus. In any case -- you could vary the reps/sets/weight for a different type of training stimulus than what you are getting already.

And a 4th way to look at it is the skill. If you're interested in expanding your repertoire of kettlebell skills to swings, snatches, push presses, jerks, windmills, high pulls, front squats, etc.... There are many excellent options. But as long as you are working on C&P, there are probably improvements you can make with just that. Welcome to post a video for feedback...

There's a few ways to look at it.

One way to look at it is what muscles are you using. It's a great combo! Certainly "most of them", at least to some degree. But you could add something more for areas that need more stimulation -- I'm thinking abs, quads. (As @Mark Limbaga said, squats, would hit the quads more)

Another way to look at it is movement patterns. You might look for something with lateral or rotational movement. (Get-ups are good! Great idea @jtsang ) Or one-arm C&P, for some degree of anti-rotational stimulus.

A third way to look at it is on the strength/strength endurance/conditioning scale. This depends on the reps/sets/weight you are currently using. You might be doing 5 sets of 5 HEAVY C&P, or ladders -- mostly a strength stimulus. Or you might be doing 20 sets of 10 light-ish C&P -- mostly a strength endurance stimulus. Or you might be doing sets of 50 even lighter C&P -- mostly a conditioning stimulus. In any case -- you could vary the reps/sets/weight for a different type of training stimulus than what you are getting already.

And a 4th way to look at it is the skill. If you're interested in expanding your repertoire of kettlebell skills to swings, snatches, push presses, jerks, windmills, high pulls, front squats, etc.... There are many excellent options. But as long as you are working on C&P, there are probably improvements you can make with just that. Welcome to post a video for feedback...
This is helpful, thank you! More to think about. I was thinking I should probably post a form check video soon…

Hello,

I would think in terms of movement patterns:
Clean & Press : hinge and press (some could consider the clean as a pull as well)

If it were me I'd add:
- Squat
- A core / carry (suitecase, farmer...)
- Rotation (windmill, get up)

You can also consider unilateral moves such as pistols, OAP, single arm press, lunge

Kind regards,

Pet'

The C&P hits the C&P only. :) Seriously, as suggested above, the simplest and arguably best thing you could do would be to add front squats. Do them while you already have the bells in the rack position after your last press. Start modestly.

I don't know what your C&P template is, but perhaps 5 times during your C&P session, rack the last press and go right into a set of 5 front squats, then put the bells down and take sufficient rest before the next C&P's. Try doing this only once per week at the start - that might be enough, or you might wish to add more.

-S-

You’ve gotten great advice so far. I hope this doesn’t add to the noise, but I suggest giving this a shot. Beautifully simple. Do unloaded or very light GUs and/or general mobility or OS for off days. Make sure to get good walking or other easy aerobic work in as well. After you run a cycle, retest your 5RM as well.

Squats for legs for dayz.
Windmills for shoulder health (and for abs, and for that rotational component).
Pull-ups and rope climbs so you can climb a tree and escape a bear.
Snatches for ... android work capacity?
Deadlift in case you need to lift something heavy.
Running so you don't get tired.

I am so not a minimalist... ROFL I love the C&P but I also find all of these important/fun to train too...

Looks like it’s already been said, squats at the end of your set can make a moderately hard double C&P into a brutal set.

You could also modify the carry into an isometric hold for 15-30 secs when you finish your set as well. That’sa lot harder than it sounds also.

I also thoroughly recommend having your form checked on your double clean and press. There is a lot to be gained from getting it perfect so you have that to focus on during your lift. To that end, maybe some mid/low pulls or rows would help as well.

After that, you can add in “pretty muscles” work like curls, flies, delt raises, etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom