all posts post new thread

Barbell My Max attempt number 2

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
"Whelp ... That was a thing."
-Army instructor witnessing the attempt of the class in a group exercise , at my last military course, VA.

I have officially attempted a 1 rep max tonight.
I was feeling fresh but not energetic.
My grip has improved greatly over the past couple months.
My form did not degrade in any of the attempts.
I feel as though my patience has been rewarded.

I kind of want to ask whether these are good numbers but there's so much individuality in the disclaimers for assessing ones progress, it might not be a profitable question to have answered.

Previous max 315lbs

This was tested in the wake of my purchase of barbell plates. So I credit this to kettlebell training to the timeless simple standard. some time after I first got my weights and was excited to see how much I could lift. and I have not paid it much mind since.

The only reason I find to necessitate testing a max is that lots of programs are all written around percentages of a 1 rep max.

As an aside, one of my buddies told me , just keep going up till you miss a rep. Then knock off 10%-20% of the weight and start going up again. But I haven't tried that program yet. Although it does seem like it could resemble power to the people.

Program was daily dose deadlifts. This program took approximately 9 weeks and by the calendar it was almost exactly 2 months to the day.

5 reps a day.
5 days a week.
Seems too good to be true.

I enjoyed spending most of my time pressing kettlebells overhead and eventually hurting my shoulder, somehow. Not seriously but I'm trying to press 3x/2weeks to keep it strong and check in on how it's healing.

I had a great time getting to know my form and groove in the deadlift.
I have a hips back and down approach and
I line it up so that my shoulders are vertically over the bar and
I do my best to get as much hyper-irradiation into the system as possible
By looking for a pre launch maximum amount of pressure on my hands and feet.

And on launch, my hips hinge to collapse my form into a vertical stance. Strong back before. Deep breath, Hinging like a door. Nice and rigid and stable. That's what I'm looking for.

Honestly near the end there, the working weight 235lbs was feeling so light I was able to do them touch and go several times.

New max 365

Attempts

1. 235
Easy. It was on the bar.a fine first weight for today.

2. 315
Took off the little plates and added a pair of 45s.
Moderately difficult and my grip was remarkably unchallenged unlike when I first started with barbell 3 months ago or so. Even with switch grip I could sense the difficulty holding the bar mid air at the time. Now it's easy.

3. 365
At this point I have 1 pair of 25s and 2 pairs of 10s left. I add the 25s and use that for the next attempt. It was slower than the previous attempt but, I was surprised that it went according to plan. That is, it didn't seem to throw off my groove , my path , or my muscles firing. Everything proceeded as I expected along a stretched amount of time.

It Felt surprisingly not overly heavy.

That makes me wonder. I think I missed the target by not adding my tens on to get 385 first. But I guess that's ok. I was surprised at how easily it went up. No grinding bouncing or struggle. Just, a slower barspeed version of the same collapse into the vertical , technique that I've been using.

I tried 405 after on a lark. Didn't come off the ground.

Backed off to 385 and tried again. More bend, but still no lift off.

So for now that's what I've got.

365 lbs deadlift.
Hoping to get up to 405 if I can.
500 is just a nice round number to shoot for career wise.

50 lbs improvement in 2 months.
A rate of improvement of about 5 lbs per week.
But the training was 5 reps a day with a moderate weight.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Funny thing : at the end I was getting brainwashed by how light the barbell was feeling in the hand. I was wondering if the program ever felt difficult.

Reminds me of the steady state training that was mentioned in simple & sinister. Where the gymnastics coach was discussing the phases of steady state training where you start out with a difficult weight, which you adapt to, and then you have to continue on solidifying those gains into the area of training when that same weight starts to feel easy. Only then do you up the weight.

It felt very light at the end there.

@Adachi - congrats! Great to read about your perceptions of each weight!

You’re making me want to but more 20kg weight plates to do the daily deadlift dose ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom