all posts post new thread

Forum Business Members Only Forum - Needed?

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
We haven't had our Members Only section of the forum up for about a month now. I'm interested in opinions as to whether or not we need it at all. (For those of you reading without having logged in, you never saw this forum section.)

Thanks.

-S-

So this means my training log is available to the general public?
No, it does not mean this at all.

The two separate training log forums, one public and one not, still exist and will continue to do so.

I guess I am ok with this.
As above, you don't need to - your visible-to-members-only training log will remain exactly as it is.

There was a separate section called Members Only where we had, e.g., discussions of some of the ins and outs of Q&D right after it had just been released. It's also where I would post questions about forum organization - people who don't register cannot voice opinions on things like that (since one has to register in order to post), so I didn't see the point in them seeing those threads to begin with.

But, all that said, opinion seems to be unanimous that we don't need the Members Only section, so out it goes.

Thanks, everyone.

-S-

I also noticed that there is no longer a Members link where one could view stats on members. Was this associated with that as well?
Either way no worries from me either…

I also noticed that there is no longer a Members link where one could view stats on members. Was this associated with that as well?
Either way no worries from me either…
Those two things, the Members link and the Members Only forum section, are not connected in any way, save that they address the same group of people.

You, @offwidth, are the leader in reaction score, which is basically Likes, and have been for a long time.

If you wish to continue to look at member statistics, it's still available, just not on a menu any longer in the interest of making the forum simpler to navigate. The link is easy enough to remember that you won't even have to bookmark it - https://strongfirst.com/community/members/

-S-

Those two things, the Members link and the Members Only forum section, are not connected in any way, save that they address the same group of people.

You, @offwidth, are the leader in reaction score, which is basically Likes, and have been for a long time.

If you wish to continue to look at member statistics, it's still available, just not on a menu any longer in the interest of making the forum simpler to navigate. The link is easy enough to remember that you won't even have to bookmark it - https://strongfirst.com/community/members/

-S-
Nah… not bothered. Just curious.
As far as I’m concerned all of the changes that have been streamlining the forum site have been good ones..

Never realized there was a member's only forum. I like the idea of private logs but also see not much reason for a private forum. I understand if the seminar forums like SE, SW, PS are only for those who attended

I understand if the seminar forums like SE, SW, PS are only for those who attended
In the interest of generating interest :) in our Special Events, we've opened up discussion of them. It's not allowed to post formulas, copies of pages from the manuals, and the like, but you'll find people discussing plans they've created here and that's OK. We used to have private forums for only attendees but have done away with those.

-S-

I guess I’m in the minority. But I did like the idea of the private forum for the attendees to the special events. I felt like planstrong in particular was a really good private forum. Due to the complicated nature it was nice to have a forum in which ideas could be discussed in more depth and detail freely.

Building a Planstrong program is complicated and involved. Even for people that have taken the class! Even if you posted the formulas and such, I dont think people will "figure it out" and Strongfirst loses out because people wont attend classes.

It might even have the opposite effect (making Planstrong discussions public). You might get more people interested. Other programs like S&S and PTTP are very very simple. I could probably summarize them in a few sentences. But I assume people still buy the books. S&S spoiler alert: Do 10x10 swings & 10 TGU's on most days.

I took the 2016 Planstrong class in PGH, fyi.

Eric

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom