all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Releasing NO exercises

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maldus

Level 4 Valued Member
My wife is following a Nitric Oxide releasing exercise from Dr Mercola.

I am not sure if it is really working or not, I find it kind of easy and weird, specially the arm movements, but it got me thinking about what kind of exercises are really known to improve NO release, both while training or even as an easy recovery.

How it relates to SF schemes as Q&D, A+A, other...?

I'd love to hear your suggestions or experiences!

This is something I researched a while back for work, so I'll try to add a few things I've found.

Nitric oxide (NO) can obviously be increased by eating foods rich in nitrates, supplements, and just plain ol' exercise. As to which would be most effective, I'm not sure, but there is a study that showed NO increase after 1 month of daily 1hr aerobic exercise. This is likely similar to the Mercola protocol, for which the basic premise is to exercise the whole body to increase blood flow. In my opinion, S&S, Q&D, A+A, other full-body workouts, etc. would also fall into this category.

But why would we do all that ...when we can just produce it by breathing? NO is produced in the nose with regular nasal breathing (but NOT with mouth breathing!). However, there are two methods that have been successfully put to the test for increasing it up to 15-20 times: humming and breath-holds. And since "the most common and effective for targeted delivery to the pulmonary circulation is inhaled NO", that's already taken care of with such practices.

Of course, research on NO is only news in science - yogis have been doing much more elaborate breathing practices for millennia, with much the same benefits. The practice I'm personally doing - Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya from the Inner Engineering program - utilizes both the methods mentioned above in addition to others. There are more advanced practices also.

For further reading:
Nitric oxide enhancement strategies

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom