all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bottoms up standards/feats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LarryB

Level 7 Valued Member
Hey y’all! I’ve been playing around with a lot of bottoms up stuff lately since i broke my foot; and am working from kneeling, seated, and half kneeling with presses, and some get ups to half kneeling. Been doing it at a lighter weight (26#) but have seen my stability increase, as well as a lot of total CNS stimulation.
I was just curious about other’s experiences with bottoms up work, and maybe hear about some cool feats/accomplishments. I’m excited to see the improvements when I’m able to use both feet again.

I've done periods of bottoms up pressing where I worked up to shaky singles with 32kg, and solid reps with 28kg, so I have a bit of experience with it.

Personally, I would not do any bottom up work from a kneeling, half-kneeling, or seated position (anything other than standing). IMO, two big safety factors with bottoms up work are being able to move your feet to stay under the bell, and to be able to drop it if necessary and get out of the way. I would never do something like a bottoms up get up . With a light weight it might not be particularly dangerous, and I've seen videos of people do them solidly with big weights, but I just don't see the point (plus, I don't like get ups in general).

I was at an RKC cert in 2009 when Pavel was still there, and people were fooling around with bottom up presses. At that time, I was pretty comfortable doing 24kg bottom up presses, but couldn't do 32kg, and I didn't have a 28kg at home. They had a 28 at the cert, so I decided to try it, and a bunch of other people were around me watching. My clean was shaky and it took a little stumbling around for me to get it stable. All the spectators were jumping back away from me afraid to get hit with a falling bell. But since I'd been practicing a lot with 24kg, I had a good feel for the groove, and once I got it stable in the rack I was very confident I could press it, and I did.

BTW, with bottom up presses, I consider it a failed rep if I can't bring it down under control and pause in the rack position before lowering from there.

[Edit: Also, I find that with bottoms up work, there is a bigger discrepancy between my dominant and non-dominant sides than any other exercise. When working up to new PR weight, it takes significantly longer to get it on my non-dominant side. And even after I can do it on both sides, I am much more consistent and have a better ability to save a lift that gets out of the groove on my dominant side.]

Last edited:
@Steve W., I appreciate the concern about safety during kneeling, especially getting out of the way (which i thought of last night). Your numbers are impressive! I’m keeping it very low weight (26 lbs) and can easily catch it coming down to the forearm if ever necessary.
I agree about the non dominant side also. I’m seeing the most noticeable progress on that side, since the beginning was so dismal.

I never tried bottoms up till , several weeks ago when I was going through the victorious pressing videos.

I can press the 40kg bell, but I have a ways to go on learning to reliably press the 16kg bell bottoms up.

I never tried bottoms up till , several weeks ago when I was going through the victorious pressing videos.

I can press the 40kg bell, but I have a ways to go on learning to reliably press the 16kg bell bottoms up.
It’s pretty crazy. Doing it from half kneeling bu is fun too. Best use i ever found for my adjustable kb too.

Alrighty, this made me do some off day experiments! I don’t want to steal Victorious’ thunder, but i recently read “Perfecting the Press” by Kenneth Jay and it had a lot of the same principles and techniques from what I’ve seen and heard. I want to do more of this stuff after my current run on ROP. Trying to work my way up to pressing the 40k.
KgLR
16passpass
20pass (only if i truly focus and apply all tension/stacking)
This could easily be a fail 50% of the time on the way down
pass
24fail
pass (only if i truly focus and apply all tension/stacking)
This could easily be a fail 50% of the time on the way down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom