all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Starting S&S, am I going to heavy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Turnip

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi Folks, hope you're all doing well?
I Started S&S yesterday using 24kg for swings and 16kg for the get ups. Today I'm feeling it in my hamstrings and traps. Wondering if I'm good to go again tonight or whether I should go lighter? I've only got a 16kg and a 24kg at the moment and 16 felt too easy? Sorry this is such a noob question and thank you for taking the time to read it!

I Started S&S yesterday using 24kg for swings and 16kg for the get ups. Today I'm feeling it in my hamstrings and traps. Wondering if I'm good to go again tonight or whether I should go lighter? I've only got a 16kg and a 24kg at the moment and 16 felt too easy? Sorry this is such a noob question and thank you for taking the time to read it!
It depends. Don't forget that the plan includes a prep phase and working up to 10x10. Maybe start with 10x5, and when recovering well from day to day 10x7, then 10x10. Start where you are and don't rush it.

That being said, soreness is typical when switching programs/exercises, even for more advanced athletes - so soreness by itself does not mean much.

It depends. Don't forget that the plan includes a prep phase and working up to 10x10. Maybe start with 10x5, and when recovering well from day to day 10x7, then 10x10. Start where you are and don't rush it.

That being said, soreness is typical when switching programs/exercises, even for more advanced athletes - so soreness by itself does not mean much.
Ok I think I'm getting confused, I thought it was 10 reps left, rest, 10 reps right, rest, repeat 5 times, so 50 swings per arm 100 in total. Am I meant to be building up to 10x10 left, 10x10 right? 200 in total? Sorry, I'm sleep deprived from a teething baby so the old brain isn't working at full capacity at the moment!
I should say that even though I'm a little sore I felt pretty good after the practice yesterday and pretty good today!

Ok I think I'm getting confused, I thought it was 10 reps left, rest, 10 reps right, rest, repeat 5 times, so 50 swings per arm 100 in total. Am I meant to be building up to 10x10 left, 10x10 right? 200 in total? Sorry, I'm sleep deprived from a teething baby so the old brain isn't working at full capacity at the moment!
I should say that even though I'm a little sore I felt pretty good after the practice yesterday and pretty good today!
It’s been a very long time since I read the book but I’m pretty sure it starts beginners out with 5 sets of 10 2 hand swings, before switching to 1 hand swings later on.

I think what you're experiencing is all too common.

As others have eluded to. Ease your way into the program. Here's some choices:
* (intensity) start off even lighter (but don't stay there long)
* (frequency) start off 2 or 3 days a week, and progressively add days a week
* (volume) start off with half of prescribed daily volume, and ramp up over time
* (density) Take more rest time between sets.
or any combination there of.

Needless to say these guidelines are valid for ANY program, not just S&S, especially if you are coming from an unconditioned state.

S&S works great as a high-frequency program (5+ days a week) especially in the beginning stages where you should see your fastest gains. Give yourself a week or 2 to get there. This program works most of its magic through weekly volume than intensity. That's where a lot of people get mixed up. Volume leads to more muscle mass and ability to maintain strength longer than just focusing on intensity.

Good Luck!

When you are still practicing and learning the movements, do sets of 5 to 10 reps, practiced in 10-15 minute blocks, mostly 2-handed. (Prep phase of S&S, incl. KB deadlifts).

Quote: "Dedicate 10 to 15 minutes to swings and as many to get-ups. There are no weight or rep goals to hit, only technical perfection. Evaluate your performance as one would in gymnastics, figure skating, or platform diving—on skill and style alone."

Once your are competent, the real program starts, 10x10 (sum of both arms), mostly 1-handed.

Re-read the book a couple of times. It is really dense and has all the info in it (at least the revised and updated edition).

Take 2-3 days and see how you are feeling. If ok, go again. I’m a few months in, the 24 for swings went fairly quick, now onto the 32. Damn, that is a big difference, 2 hand no problem but one hand with the 32 takes longer to adapt to. For me anyway.

Maybe useful info but as a relatively new kb’er, I find I can’t do as many days in the week with the 32. Up to 24, no problem 4-5 days a week every week. Once I got to 32, I found 3-4days a week was better for recovery and progress. I was a bit worried at first but for me, it seems to work better. Less is sometimes more as they say.

Maybe useful info but as a relatively new kb’er, I find I can’t do as many days in the week with the 32. Up to 24, no problem 4-5 days a week every week. Once I got to 32, I found 3-4days a week was better for recovery and progress. I was a bit worried at first but for me, it seems to work better. Less is sometimes more as they say.
That's pretty much what S&S 2.0 recommends, cutting down the volume to three or four days once working exclusively with simple weights.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom