all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Daily Bodyweight Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheRealBigSol

Level 4 Valued Member
I'm looking for a daily bodyweight routine to supplement my lifting. I've tried OAPU's and Pistols in the past, but they don't work for me, even with modifications. Any suggestions?

@TheRealBigSol, what is your goal? What does "don't work for me" mean here?

-S-
Pistols: Fried hip flexors on the non-working leg. No discernible benefit from the working side in terms of hypertrophy or strength.
OAPU's: Excess shoulder pressure. I feel this more in the serratus than anywhere else. NO noticeable strength or hypertrophy gains.
I get this isn't the case for everyone, but these movements yield nothing but frustration for me.

In the past if you practiced OAPU and Pistols on a daily basis coupled with a lifting routine that may explain why you didn’t derive any benefit. Those 2 bodyweight movements can be very taxing on the CNS. What did your programming look like?

I'm looking for a daily bodyweight routine to supplement my lifting. I've tried OAPU's and Pistols in the past, but they don't work for me, even with modifications. Any suggestions?
you might try something like the Great Gama Protocol by Pavel Macek: based on hindu squats and pushups, daily mobility stuff. If the bodyweight routine is intended to be a supplement, you don't want it to interefere with your lifting. It should be something that serves more as active recovery than additional training.

Another option would be something along the lines of Original Strength; light crawling and restorative movement.

Hello,

Do you have a trouble with vertical push (HSPU, Pike Press) ? If not, it can be an option. Paired with pull ups (weighted or not, assisted or not).

For lower body, as already mentioned, I'd go for airborne lunges or SLDL (possibly with a weight).

As far as programming and set / rep template are concerned, I'd go for something like "strength aerobics":
ladders of 3:
1 HSPU, 1 pull up, 1 airborne
2..., 2..., 2...
And so on during the amount of time you want.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pistols: Fried hip flexors on the non-working leg. No discernible benefit from the working side in terms of hypertrophy or strength.
OAPU's: Excess shoulder pressure. I feel this more in the serratus than anywhere else. NO noticeable strength or hypertrophy gains.
I get this isn't the case for everyone, but these movements yield nothing but frustration for me.
So your goals would be hypertrophy and strength, correct? If you don't mind me asking, what is your bodyweight and training history (incl. approximate lifts or performance in BWE)? What was your max and what rep/set scheme did you use? How many calories did you consume compared to your calculated requirements? And - perhaps even most important - how do you assess your strength gains?

In general, I think I'd be among the first to agree that not everything works for everybody, let alone at all times. However, in order to give suggestions that are qualified, I think the first order of business would be getting an idea of why this approach might not have worked for you / whether the approach fit the goal for you as an individual. Some things such as fried hip flexors during pistols can be worked around (e.g. by the way you see them performed in old kungfu manuals - holding the toe or foot with one or both hands). Other things such as perceived excess shoulder pressure might have a variety of reasons that aren't easy to asses online and without a video IMHO.

Just one point, if you like to reap out hypertrophy from OAP and Pistols, you should be able to bang out mutiable sets of more then 5 reps in perfect form. Realy in my mind this a strength feats that should be treated as those. Low reps modaret pauses. There a lot more easier movements for reaping Hypertrophie out of BW-Training. Closesquats, Narrow PushUps, Diamond PushUps, Hindusquats = done with good intensety (80% max) in mutiable Stes and Reps. So let the Goal be the Goal, that are your main lifts, the rest is nipp tuck put a buanch of movements together that assist you Mains, get a good pump on tihs an call it a day.

I'd go high rep Burpees. Or high rep matt furey stuff ( maybe not thousands of bethaks). Great for the joints. If you build slowly to, for example, a hundred a day shouldn't mess with your other stuff. Keep it varied, bodybuilders, two pumps, air squats, navy seals even.

Reactions: Kev
I would say not to add calisthenics. Supplement your lifting with yoga or conditioning work, but I think the reason they didn't work is you're
just piling more strength work on top of your lifting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom