all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Blending KB and BB

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,

I love my KB training. I am doing about 4 time a week double KB practice with 1-2 further days dedicated to just swings to increase work capacity capacity conditioning.

However,

I really miss barbell training, especially deadlifts. I am considering joining a cheap gym that is close to where I live just to get access to a barbell and a pull uo bat (I live in a small with no where for such things). I could also give some time to heavy squatting and see how the loading is different from kettlebells.

I am a little caught though as how how to work it into what I I doing already. I don't really want to reduce my time on KB presses (I have a goal to press the beast this year) or any of the other work I am doing since I am in a good routine. I could give over one day a week for gym work but not sure that it is worth a membership just for once a week.

Any guidance on this would be very helpful

Hello,

I love my KB training. I am doing about 4 time a week double KB practice with 1-2 further days dedicated to just swings to increase work capacity capacity conditioning.

However,

I really miss barbell training, especially deadlifts. I am considering joining a cheap gym that is close to where I live just to get access to a barbell and a pull uo bat (I live in a small with no where for such things). I could also give some time to heavy squatting and see how the loading is different from kettlebells.

I am a little caught though as how how to work it into what I I doing already. I don't really want to reduce my time on KB presses (I have a goal to press the beast this year) or any of the other work I am doing since I am in a good routine. I could give over one day a week for gym work but not sure that it is worth a membership just for once a week.

If your goal is to press the beast then the only way a gym membership would be helpful is by giving you a barbell to press. Which will increase your overall pressing strength and feed into your unilateral pressing.

But for 1 day a week I'd say it isn't worth it. 2 would be the minimum for me personally.

Might be worth looking into @Geoff Neupert Barbell Bolt On.

Personally, I’m also enjoying Hybrid Burn Extreme with the barbell, kettlebell, body weight. Though I really like low bar squats instead of Zercher because I can move more weight that way, and I add in deadlifts twice a week as well.

My goal is similar to yours with the exception being that I’m trying to pass SFG1 in June and have a pair of 36kg bells as my working weight by the end of the year. But I’ve got barbell goals as well.

What do your 4 days of KB training look like? Does the gym have kettlebells allowing you to have "KB/BB" days? Would you need to have separate "KB" days and "BB" days?

Adding bench press and deadlift would I think help your goal. The deadlift scratches that itch, and the bench press would help you move towards pressing the beast. I don't think either are really necessary.

Easy strength/GTG/justa singles deadlift

Fighter pullup program/red Army pullup

Your welcome

What do your 4 days of KB training look like? Does the gym have kettlebells allowing you to have "KB/BB" days? Would you need to have separate "KB" days and "BB" days?

Adding bench press and deadlift would I think help your goal. The deadlift scratches that itch, and the bench press would help you move towards pressing the beast. I don't think either are really necessary.
Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

Currently I do a press day, a squat day, and a swing day. I cycle though these through the week. I take rest days as needed, since my job cam be quite stressful and some days I get back too late or too tired to lift. These days are mainly focused on stretching and mobility.

The days look like

Press day:
- Warm up with bands
- Technical work on light bent press
- Ladders with double 32 press - currently 4 x 1-4 one the 1:15 rather than on the minute
- push ups
- heavy (for me) rows 4x8
- band pull apart

Squat day
- warm up
- BW squats
- goblet squats
- double 32kg squat ladders 2,3,5,10 x2 (otm)
- single kettlebell lunges 3 x 8/8 (otm)
- heavy swings 4 × 10 (otm)
- single leg hip thrusts

Swing day
I do on the minute, get to around 300 in the session mainly one arm.

Would love to get a gym day for deadlifts in, but not sure how or if it would be worth it.

Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

Currently I do a press day, a squat day, and a swing day. I cycle though these through the week. I take rest days as needed, since my job cam be quite stressful and some days I get back too late or too tired to lift. These days are mainly focused on stretching and mobility.

The days look like

Press day:
- Warm up with bands
- Technical work on light bent press
- Ladders with double 32 press - currently 4 x 1-4 one the 1:15 rather than on the minute
- push ups
- heavy (for me) rows 4x8
- band pull apart

Squat day
- warm up
- BW squats
- goblet squats
- double 32kg squat ladders 2,3,5,10 x2 (otm)
- single kettlebell lunges 3 x 8/8 (otm)
- heavy swings 4 × 10 (otm)
- single leg hip thrusts

Swing day
I do on the minute, get to around 300 in the session mainly one arm.

Would love to get a gym day for deadlifts in, but not sure how or if it would be worth it.
It sounds like you have 2 squat days, 2 press days, and 1-2 swing days every week (5-6 days of training a week). Does deadlifting contribute to your goals? What are you willing to give up in order to deadlift?

Hello,

However,

When I did barbell work the kettlebell training pretty much became 10-20 minute finishers. I did things like hard swings. Goerners chain (you’ll still work presses with that one) and any myriad complexes you can think of. I never lost any kettlebell strength with that approach.

It sounds like you have 2 squat days, 2 press days, and 1-2 swing days every week (5-6 days of training a week). Does deadlifting contribute to your goals? What are you willing to give up in order to deadlift?
Good questions,

I would like to get my deadlift back up to 2xBW this year as well, I guess this would mean reapplying the squat day/s with some in gym deadlift work

Good questions,

I would like to get my deadlift back up to 2xBW this year as well, I guess this would mean reapplying the squat day/s with some in gym deadlift work
Yes, sounds like an "easy" change to your routine would be to replace one or both of the kettlebell squat days and make them into a deadlift-focused/squat-secondary day. You could make bigger changes, but that would be a pretty easy swap.

I am currently funding Rogozhnikov from PTTP and doing KB work on the days off. Just pressed the Beast in December. Rogoz allows for lots of recovery to allow for KB work. Message me if you would like particulars

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom