all posts post new thread

Barbell Squatting twice a week + routine critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Warzone2022

Level 3 Valued Member
Due to recovery and work schedule I'm needing to change up my routine to meet my goals

Goals being a better squatter whilst also managing fatigue from work and family life, normally I'd do the big six movements in a one lift a day fashion but this wouldn't be feasible with me wanting to squat twice week (recommended) and train six days a week on a one lift a day routine

Instead I've come up with this,

Monday - Squat + LE (2x5 - 80%) 3 warmup sets decending

Tuesday - Pulldown + OHP (3x10/2x5-7) - 2 warmup sets

Wednesday - Squat + LE (2x5 - 80%) - 3 warmup sets decending

Thursday - Bench Press + Row (2x5 - 80%) - 2 warmup sets

Friday - TBDL (1x5/1x3) (80%/85%) 3 warmup sets decending

If you have a way to squat twice a week on olad that would be great haha, only way would be to drop Deadlift

In Wendlers 531 there’s a template for squats every time you enter the gym so either 3-4 times a week. It was the template I ran and I loved it. Not so much the chafing thighs but hey ho. So twice a week should be all good.

Due to recovery and work schedule I'm needing to change up my routine to meet my goals

Goals being a better squatter whilst also managing fatigue from work and family life, normally I'd do the big six movements in a one lift a day fashion but this wouldn't be feasible with me wanting to squat twice week (recommended) and train six days a week on a one lift a day routine

Instead I've come up with this,

Monday - Squat + LE (2x5 - 80%) 3 warmup sets decending

Tuesday - Pulldown + OHP (3x10/2x5-7) - 2 warmup sets

Wednesday - Squat + LE (2x5 - 80%) - 3 warmup sets decending

Thursday - Bench Press + Row (2x5 - 80%) - 2 warmup sets

Friday - TBDL (1x5/1x3) (80%/85%) 3 warmup sets decending

If you have a way to squat twice a week on olad that would be great haha, only way would be to drop Deadlift
And you still deadlifted on said Wendler template.

In Wendlers 531 there’s a template for squats every time you enter the gym so either 3-4 times a week. It was the template I ran and I loved it. Not so much the chafing thighs but hey ho. So twice a week should be all good.
Not been a big fan of 531 due to lack of flexibility on exercise changes lol, but with my setup would i run into any issues like overlapping or something that could be a detriment?

I’d drop the leg extensions and keep the squat. Make one of those squat days the main squat day and the other squat day could be working up to a single at 90%. Or a triple. On that template I mentioned I only murdered myself on the Monday session. Each other day wasn’t a murder session but it was still work.

I’d drop the leg extensions and keep the squat. Make one of those squat days the main squat day and the other squat day could be working up to a single at 90%. Or a triple. On that template I mentioned I only murdered myself on the Monday session. Each other day wasn’t a murder session but it was still work.
If you have 531 the template is in there. If memory serves there was a 2 cycle break in at low percentages and then you worked these extra sessions. You had your main day and these got tacked on. I just did squats first before the other 531 moves/percentages/rep ranges. I absolutely loved it. Lol folk looked at me like I was a savage because I just hogged a power rack in the corner 3x a week lol.

If you have 531 the template is in there. If memory serves there was a 2 cycle break in at low percentages and then you worked these extra sessions. You had your main day and these got tacked on. I just did squats first before the other 531 moves/percentages/rep ranges. I absolutely loved it. Lol folk looked at me like I was a savage because I just hogged a power rack in the corner 3x a week lol.
Cheers man, but do you reckon I'd run into any issue on the above routine?

I second this. Drop the leg extensions and do some less intense RDLs, GMs, or GHRs instead would also be my suggestion.

Reactions: Kev
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom